sigvoror

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR Maxx HD, Galaxy Tab 8.9

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

This is a step by step guide to rooting and updating the Verizon Droid RAZR HD and the Droid RAZR Maxx HD (XT926). This has been updated to include instructions to update your rooted phone to the newest available OTA (build 9.16.6).

For some reason, it seems that the OTAs are not wanting to download for everyone. When this happens, you will need to install the OTAs as zip files from an SD Card. This is every step I used to bring my phone up to date with root access. All this information I gained by reading the forums here and elsewhere.

As with any other rooting/flashing guide, I, nor anyone else, is responsible for what happens to your phone. You are choosing to follow these steps on your own and performing them on your device. Even though these steps worked perfectly for me, I cannot guarantee they will work for anyone else.

**NOTE** - If you have already upgraded your firmware to build 9.16.6, mattlgroff's Droid RAZR HD Utility will not work for you. You cannot downgrade back to build 0.6.25 or 0.7.2, either of which are needed for root access. If you have that newest build (9.16.6) and want root access, it looks like you will need to wait until someone makes a root method. If you have not yet taken the newest build (9.16.6) this method will still work for you.

Prep Work:

01. Download mattlgroff's Droid RAZR HD Utility v. 1.10 @

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

02. Download firmware for 0.7.2 update posted by satman80

= Blur_Version.0.6.25.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip
03. Download firmware for 9.1.41 update posted by satman80 @

= delta-ota-Blur_Version.0.7.2-9.1.41.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip
04. Download and install USB drivers for the phone @

05. Transfer both firmware files to your device's root directory of the SD Card. It must be an SD Card as the phone will not find it if the file is in the phone's internal memory.

IF YOU ARE NOT ON THE INITIAL STOCK FIRMWARE (0.6.25) or the first minor OTA (0.7.2):
(if you are on firmware 0.6.25, you will not need to follow step 8)
(if you are on firmware 0.7.2, you will not need to follow step 8 or steps 14 - 25)

You need to flash back to ICS 4.0.4 in order to gain root, to do this:
06. Connect your phone to your computer via USB, your phone should have USB debugging enabled
07. Load mattlgroff's Droid RAZR HD Utility
08. Follow the on screen instructions. When given a choice, choose option 1 (Fastboot Restore 0.6.25 (ICS 4.0.4 Official Software)).
09. After this is finished flashing, choose option 2 (Root for ICS 4.0.4 by djrbliss (motofail2go method)) to gain root access.
10. After this is finished, choose option 3 (Install Voodoo's OTA Rootkepper App by supercurio).
11. Once this is installed, open Google Play and ensure that Superuser is up-to-date
12. Open Superuser, scroll left, tap where it say "tap to check for updates" to update binaries
13. Open the Rootkeeper App and grant it SU. Then you will need to hit the Protect Root button. Then hit the Temp Unroot button.
14. Now you need to power down your phone by holding the Power Button and hitting Power Off in the popup menu.
15. Hold Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power Button down until the phone loads into the Boot Mode Selection Menu.

HERE THE VOLUME DOWN BUTTON SCROLLS WHILE THE VOLUME UP BUTTON IS USED TO MAKE A SELECTION

16. Tap the Volume Down button once to highlight Recovery.
17. Tap Volume Up once to confirm the Recovery selection.
18. When the Android with the Red Triangle shows on the screen, push down the Volume Up and the Volume Down buttons at the same time.

IN THE RECOVERY, VOLUME BUTTONS SCROLL UP AND DOWN WHILE THE POWER BUTTON IS USED TO MAKE A SELECTION

19. Tap Volume Down once and tap the Power Button once to highlight then select "apply update from external storage"
20. Scroll to the first firmware update (0.7.2) and tap the Power Button to select it
21. (**This step may not be necessary, the update might start installing with the last step**) Scroll to "Yes" and tap the Power Button to select it
22. When your phone boots, check to confirm your firmware has been updated to 0.7.2 (Menu>Settings>About Phone)
23. Open OTA Rootkeeper App and tap the Restore Root button
24. Open SU, scroll to the left, and update the binary to confirm your phone still has root access
25. Open OTA Rootkeeper App and tap the Temp Unroot button
26. Power down your phone by holding the Power Button and when the popup menu comes up, hit Power Off
27. Hold Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power Button down until the phone loads into the Boot Mode Selection Menu

28. Tap the Volume Down button once to highlight Recovery
29. Tap the Volume Up button once to confirm the Recovery selection
30. When the Android with the Red Triangle shows on the screen, push down the Volume Up and the Volume Down buttons at the same time
31. Tap Volume Down once and tap the Power Button once to highlight then select "apply update from external storage"
32. Scroll to the second firmware update (9.1.41) and tap the Power Button to select it
33. (**This step may not be necessary, the update might start installing with the last step**) Scroll to "Yes" and tap the Power Button to select it
34. When your phone boots, check to confirm your firmware has been updated to 9.1.41 (Menu>Settings>About Phone)
35. Open OTA Rootkeeper App and tap the Restore Root button
36. Open SU, scroll to the left, and update the binary to confirm your phone still has root access

Congratulations, your phone is now on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with Root access. However, you might be having another problem. If your phone keeps having a popup come up saying something like "Motorola Services has stopped" I fixed it by doing the following steps:

37. Power down your phone by holding the Power Button and when the popup menu comes up, hit Power Off
38. Hold Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power Button down until the phone loads into the Boot Mode Selection Menu
39. Tap the Volume Down button once to highlight Recovery
40. Tap the Volume Up button once to confirm the Recovery selection
41. When the Android with the Red Triangle shows on the screen, push down the Volume Up and the Volume Down buttons at the same time
42. Tap the Volume Down button three times to highlight "wipe data/factory reset" and tap the Power Button to confirm selection
43. Scroll to "Yes" and tap the Power Button to confirm

When your phone reboots you will need to set it back up/install apps/all that jazz. However, you shouldn't have any more problems. And yes, you should still be on 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with Root access.

**EDITED TO INCLUDE NEWEST OTA**
These are the steps that worked for me, because it seems the new OTA is actually working now.

44. Open the Rootkeeper App. Then hit the Temp Unroot button.

If the OTA is not working for some reason, skip to step 50.

45. Open settings, scroll to the last option, and click "About phone"
46. The first option is "System updates," Click it.
47. With my phone, the OTA was automatically pushed, but I if I remember from previously, the phone should prompt you at this point if you want to update your phone. Follow the prompts on your phone to let if go ahead and download/install the OTA.
48. Open the Rootkeeper App. Click on the button that says "Restore root."
49. Enjoy root access on Android 4.1.2 (build number 9.16.6)

If the OTA is not working for some reason:

50. Download the update file.

51. Move the update file to your SD Card (you cannot update from the phone's internal storage, it must be on the SD Card, I would recommend placing it in the root folder of the SD Card as well for simplicity).
52. Now you need to power down your phone by holding the Power Button and hitting Power Off in the popup menu.
53. Hold Volume Up, Volume Down, and the Power Button down until the phone loads into the Boot Mode Selection Menu.
54. Tap the Volume Down button once to highlight Recovery
55. Tap the Volume Up button once to confirm the Recovery selection
56. When the Android with the Red Triangle shows on the screen, push down the Volume Up and the Volume Down buttons at the same time
57. Tap Volume Down once and tap the Power Button once to highlight then select "apply update from external storage"
58. Select the downloaded file (Blur_Version.9.1.41.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip). The update should begin. If you are prompted, scroll down and select "Yes."
59. After the phone reboots, open the Rootkeeper App, click on the button that says "Restore root."
60. Enjoy root access on Android 4.1.2 (build number 9.16.6)

Credits:
As stated earlier, I did not come up with any of this, except for the factory reset to clear the "Motorola Services has stopped" thing.
Dan Rosenberg (djrbliss) for giving us all root
Project Voodoo for the OTA Rootkeeper App
satman80 for the links to the firmware (not sure if he was the one that posted them, so if not thanks to whoever did that)
mattlgroff for the Droid RAZR HD Utility
Droid Life for posting the link to the newest OTA file (build 9.16.6)

* edited for typos and added steps 11 & 12 - 03 Mar 2013

Edited by sigvoror, 22 March 2013 - 10:02 AM.

• mattlgroff, hectorlumbago, satman80 and 3 others like this

#2 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:31 AM

Going to read through this and if it looks kosher I will suggest it gets pinned. Just from skimming it looks pretty darn good.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#3 sigvoror

sigvoror

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

Going to read through this and if it looks kosher I will suggest it gets pinned. Just from skimming it looks pretty darn good.

Cool, thanks. If I missed a step, let me know and I'll fix it.

#4 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

Will do and thanks for the write up. Might suggest they move it to the help section instead of development. We have a thread pinned there that you just posted in but its hard to follow. This may take its place.

#5 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

One thing to add that's not imperative but good to do. After rooting and before backing up root. Make sure your superuser app is up to date and the latest binaries are installed.

#6 sigvoror

sigvoror

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

Sounds good. That post in the help section is what made me write this. Also added those two steps as steps 11 & 12.

#7 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:55 AM

Sounds good. That post in the help section is what made me write this. Also added those two steps as steps 11 & 12.

Looks good. PM's arent liking me tonight so i will try to hit up a mod or admin later and have them take a look too. I'm tired so I might have missed something but the write up looks good to me.

#8 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

Nice Job!!!!

Note: fixed links, they were not working.. :)
Also Pinned

Edited by satman80, 03 March 2013 - 07:12 AM.

• megahertz1970, tmyinc and sigvoror like this

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#9 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Nice Job!!!!

Note: fixed links, they were not working.. :)
Also Pinned

Thanks Sat. I tried pm'ing you last night but they didn't like me. I appreciate you taking a look.

#10 BIGED

BIGED

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD 32GB/32GB

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Fantastic!! How often is it that a NOOB with 8 posts gets a topic PINNED!!

Major congrats to ya man, thanks for posting this up, and stealing my idea!! LOL

I was going to redo the steps tonight now that I know what to do and already have the stuff downloaded and document the process.

Awesome job and again, congratulations and thanks for a highly detailed write-up on this!!
  • tmyinc likes this

#11 sigvoror

sigvoror

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks and mo problem. I thought that the help post was getting a little too convoluted, so why not just put this together to have the steps a lot easier to follow.
  • tmyinc likes this

#12 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for this man. Great to have some straightforward instructions to point people to.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#13 dirtyofries

dirtyofries

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Mine keeps failing at installing .7.2 from recovery.

Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Help?
  • ski9826 likes this

#14 sigvoror

sigvoror

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Weird. I didn't have any problems at all installing anything. And the links posted are the versions of the software that I used.

#15 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Mine keeps failing at installing .7.2 from recovery.

Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Help?

Is Safe Strap trying to load when you boot?

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#16 llawen

llawen

android tweaker

• Superuser
  • 551 posts
  • Twitter:@llawen
  • LocationGlenn hieghts, Texas
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

One thing I noticed. They must not have safe strap installed prior to installing updates. It will cause the updates to fail.

RAZR Max HD running scream'n rear end Fuzion

Posted Image

#17 BIGED

BIGED

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thanks and mo problem.

What is MO PROBLEM???? :P

#18 smeekteek

smeekteek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

my maxx hd is on 9.8.1Q_39. Will this method work for me?

#19 BIGED

BIGED

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

What is the ANDROID version and are you in the USA?

#20 smeekteek

smeekteek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

4.1.1. Yes, in the USA.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: XT926, root, jelly bean, jellybean, 4.1.1, 9.1.41

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users