#1 thecameraman

thecameraman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:17 AM

My rooted Razr HD's battery is pretty much drained (down to 6%) and it will not charge. I am using the charger and cable that came with it. When turned on it appears to simply not recognize that it's plugged in at all, whether to the wall or my computer. When it's off it will go through this weird cycle where the notification light blinks green, the Moto logo comes on like it's starting up, and then the battery charging icon quickly flashes showing 6%. This then repeats as long as the phone is plugged in, but even when I leave it for a long time it doesn't charge at all. I've tried it also with the cable/charger from a friend's Razr Maxx HD, same problem.

Like I said it is rooted but I'm on stock Jellybean, just using a handful of root apps like TitaniumBackup, Battery Calibration, etc. I got it like a month and a half ago and have had no prior issues.

Anyone have any ideas about how I can troubleshoot this? The battery is so low at this point that I can't even really use the 1.10 Utility to do a factory reset, so I'm a little concerned about bringing the rooted device to Verizon (not to mention I need to use my phone).

#2 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

My rooted Razr HD's battery is pretty much drained (down to 6%) and it will not charge. I am using the charger and cable that came with it. When turned on it appears to simply not recognize that it's plugged in at all, whether to the wall or my computer. When it's off it will go through this weird cycle where the notification light blinks green, the Moto logo comes on like it's starting up, and then the battery charging icon quickly flashes showing 6%. This then repeats as long as the phone is plugged in, but even when I leave it for a long time it doesn't charge at all. I've tried it also with the cable/charger from a friend's Razr Maxx HD, same problem.

Like I said it is rooted but I'm on stock Jellybean, just using a handful of root apps like TitaniumBackup, Battery Calibration, etc. I got it like a month and a half ago and have had no prior issues.

Anyone have any ideas about how I can troubleshoot this? The battery is so low at this point that I can't even really use the 1.10 Utility to do a factory reset, so I'm a little concerned about bringing the rooted device to Verizon (not to mention I need to use my phone).

Sounds like the connecter your plug the phone into on the phone is broken and not making contact correctly,

Your getting it to work because it depends what position its in on how its making its connection..

How can this happen, a few ways
1. Some Lint or something is in there
2. You accidentally bent the socket when it was plugged in
3. defective with you received it and has bad solder joints.

Fix? Most likely replacement needed, Somehow get it to charge by putting it in one spot (Wiggle the connector form wall charger on whatever side makes the connection), once u see it start charging, let it sit with no movement, use Matts utility, and ask for replacement..

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#3 thecameraman

thecameraman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I took it in this morning shortly after posting and they are going to send a replacement. They didn't even notice/check to see that it was rooted. Just tested it with a plug of their own and then asked if I was willing to pay to have the new one shipped overnight. With the last 5% of the battery I was able to erase my accounts from the device and then initiated a factory reset but couldn't tell if it actually finished before it shut down. I can't charge it at all now, no matter how I wiggle the connector, so I guess it is what it is. I'm just glad the replacement is on its way.

#4 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

I have been experiencing something just like this lately.
It happened three times when plugged into the charger that came with the phone (Maxx HD).

The funny thing is that, since this battery is so good, on some days I don't even need to charge it at all (oh, and I USE it...for real). It's so nice finally having a phone that really performs and lasts for so long.....anyway, the funny thing is that, on a day when I still had 55% battery life left, I decided to go ahead and plug it in to charge over-night when I went to bed. Well, when I got up the next morning, it was completely dead....still plugged in, of course, and just showing that oddball green light that you mentioned above. Then, when I pressed the power button, I got the constant green light, and then other oddness. Finally, I plugged it into another charger, and waited a while till it had enough power to start it up and it seemed fine again.

At that point, I thought the problem was the charger (this was the third time it happened). However, today on my way to Best Buy to get a replacement for the charger, I noticed that when I plugged it into my car charger, it wouldn't recognize being connected, and wouldn't charge.

Once I got to Best Buy, they tried it on their charger, and same problem....no response.

Sounds like the connecter your plug the phone into on the phone is broken and not making contact correctly,

Your getting it to work because it depends what position its in on how its making its connection..

How can this happen, a few ways
1. Some Lint or something is in there
2. You accidentally bent the socket when it was plugged in
3. defective with you received it and has bad solder joints.

Fix? Most likely replacement needed, Somehow get it to charge by putting it in one spot (Wiggle the connector form wall charger on whatever side makes the connection), once u see it start charging, let it sit with no movement, use Matts utility, and ask for replacement..

So, my next step is going to be the suggested replacement here from satman80.
Fist though, I'm going to make sure I have a really good backup so that I have a better chance of gettign the new one back to close to how I have it configured now.

I have Titanium, and I've successfully restored from that before, but it's not really what I'd prefer. Is there a way of doing an 'image' backup like I am used to doing on Windows computers, etc?

I have Safestrap. Will that do what I'm thinking of, or is that kind of thing just not really possible in the Android world?

#5 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

Follow-up question...

Do you (or did you) use any sort of dock, or cradle for your phone (on your desk, or in your vehicle)?

#6 Gytole

Gytole

The Hicks Boson!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationOhiyah!
  • Current Device(s):HTC ONE M8, Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 FLO

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:14 AM

the same thing happened to me today. i forgot to charge it while i was sleeping and started to use my phone and it was immediately dead within 20 seconds. so i went to plug it in and the green light came on. no power. unplugged it and plugged it back in, green light still and couldnt turn it on. after leaving it on the charger for about 5 minutes though i came out to the light being off, unplugged it, pressed the power button and she booted up just fine and i immediately plugged it back in.working fine.

Gyt-bauss stock wrecker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users