30 replies to this topic

#1 proximous

proximous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

Could really use some help from the experts. Spent over an hour on the phone with Verizion tech support without any success.

I had a rooted but otherwise stock ICS razr. A few days ago I got impatient waiting for the OTA update to JB, so I download Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip, booted into recovery, installed, and succeeded...or so I thought.

Everything when great (though I lost root), but after a few days I realized I have only been able to connect with 3G since the update. My wife has the exact some phone still running OTA ICS and she is always 4G, so I know it isn't a coverage issue. I tried using an APN backup app to backup my wife's phone and restore it to my phone...no help. I tried a factory reset (even including the SD card)...no help.

So I called Verizon today, quickly got bumped to Tier 2, and after over an hour, the call ended with "well, Motorola has a new JB update since March 7, and when you get that it should fix the problem." We'll, obviously that's the version I'm running so that isn't going to help.

With Verizon I went into Moble Netwoks and set that to LTE/CDMA, we went into the test menu and made sure that was LTE/CDMA, he took remote control of my phone to verify those screens and other settings, yet everything was set correctly.

He said I could either wait for the update since my serial number wasn't on the update list yet or I could go to a store and try swapping my SIM. Unfortunately my serial number isn't on the list because I applied the update myself, and after the call I tried swapping SIM's with my wife's phone. My SIM in her phone = 4G on her phone. Her SIM in my phone = 3G only on my phone. So I'm pretty convinced it's not the SIM.

What else can I do? Being stuck on 3G sucks! I'm 9+ months into my contract so it's too late for any free phone swap yet too soon to buy a discounted new phone. Any ideas?

#2 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

So if youre on JB use Matts JB Utility:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

That utility won't fix your issue. I can tell you that right now because I'm having the same issue. Mine didn't happen because of the JB update though. What happened was somehow your LTE Radio got corrupt. Mine is the same way, 3G only. I took my SIM out, put it in my Gnex and my Gnex got 4G. Put my SIM in my wifes phone, her phone got 4G. Put it back in my RAZR, 3G.

There is absolutely no way to fix it. I've used the JB fastboot files, Matt's utility, everything. Nothing works. Check in "About Phone" then "Status." Look at your IMEI and it most likely says "Unknown," if it does then you're in the same boat as me and there's no way to fix it.

#4 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

if you can get into the phone information switch your radios to EVDO only.. REBOOT fastboot back to ICS and then fastboot back to the new OTA...

the fastboot back to ICS will fail allowing you to retry the JB OTA files... so make sure you have a ton of battery before you start.. expected drain with all things going right 40%

if this doesnt work you are at least clean and stock.. and further research can be done about this issue.
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#5 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:11 AM

If it is truly a Radio issue as BDH has stated, then he would be correct. I had this issue with my Maxx when I first got it when it was on ICS. I couldnt fix it at all and got a replacement from VZW.

Cant hurt to try the utility tho.

#6 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

If you bought your phone through Verizon and you are only 9 months into it, you should be able to get a warranty replacement. All phones bought through Verizon have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. I'd stop in your local Verizon store and get them to verify the 4g isn't working and they will help you get your replacement, maybe even overnight a "new" refurb phone right to your door.

Sent from the cutting edge of my Droid RAZR MAXX

#7 proximous

proximous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

There is absolutely no way to fix it. I've used the JB fastboot files, Matt's utility, everything. Nothing works. Check in "About Phone" then "Status." Look at your IMEI and it most likely says "Unknown," if it does then you're in the same boat as me and there's no way to fix it.

Ugh! Very sad to hear this. I looked at my IMEI and it has a number, so I don't seem to have the exact same issue, but I fear I am in the same boat. Do you think this is a hardware problem?

if you can get into the phone information switch your radios to EVDO only.. REBOOT fastboot back to ICS and then fastboot back to the new OTA...

the fastboot back to ICS will fail allowing you to retry the JB OTA files... so make sure you have a ton of battery before you start.. expected drain with all things going right 40%

if this doesnt work you are at least clean and stock.. and further research can be done about this issue.

I tried this, and either I did something wrong or it just doesn't work because it didn't fix the problem. I used Matt's utility 1.82 to restore ICS. The restore went fine, but it wouldn't fully boot as expected. I then installed the JB OTA via recovery, but still no 4G. Is there a way to ensure my radio has the right software?

If you bought your phone through Verizon and you are only 9 months into it, you should be able to get a warranty replacement. All phones bought through Verizon have a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. I'd stop in your local Verizon store and get them to verify the 4g isn't working and they will help you get your replacement, maybe even overnight a "new" refurb phone right to your door.

Sent from the cutting edge of my Droid RAZR MAXX

Went to Verizon today. Got a new SIM card. Didn't fix anything as expected. Verizon told me that I am over a year so no warantee and I don't have insurance. So my only option there is a full price replacement or live with 3G until late August when I can get a new phone. Ouch!

Any other ideas? I'm desperate and will try anything. 3G is extremely painful after being 4G.

Thanks!

#8 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Matts JB Utility is your best hope now...

#9 proximous

proximous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Matts JB Utility is your best hope now...

I guess I can try that again, but I have tried that along the way, so I'm likely out of luck :(

Does it do anything special beyond re-installing JB?

#10 spazmeister

spazmeister

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

JB install with wipe
JB install without wipe
root
safestrap 3.11 install

#11 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

I guess I can try that again, but I have tried that along the way, so I'm likely out of luck :(

Does it do anything special beyond re-installing JB?

Same boat as me. LTE Radio is corrupt so it's a hardware issue and cannot be fixed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#12 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ugh! Very sad to hear this. I looked at my IMEI and it has a number, so I don't seem to have the exact same issue, but I fear I am in the same boat. Do you think this is a hardware problem?

I tried this, and either I did something wrong or it just doesn't work because it didn't fix the problem. I used Matt's utility 1.82 to restore ICS. The restore went fine, but it wouldn't fully boot as expected. I then installed the JB OTA via recovery, but still no 4G. Is there a way to ensure my radio has the right software?

Went to Verizon today. Got a new SIM card. Didn't fix anything as expected. Verizon told me that I am over a year so no warantee and I don't have insurance. So my only option there is a full price replacement or live with 3G until late August when I can get a new phone. Ouch!

Any other ideas? I'm desperate and will try anything. 3G is extremely painful after being 4G.

Thanks!

use the 1.28 util for ics fastboot.

use the jb utility for the jb fastboot.. it will fail on ICS but doesnt matter fastboot right after to JB.
should work
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#13 proximous

proximous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

use the jb utility for the jb fastboot.. it will fail on ICS but doesnt matter fastboot right after to JB.
should work

Tried that again just for good measure. No change. Still no 4G. Time to hunt on eBay for a new phone. Living with 3G just isn't going to be tolerable. Thanks to everyone for the help.

#14 nmerc001

nmerc001

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Been having the same issue since the JB Leak (.08) for me. I was hoping the OTA .16 version would have fixed it, but I've had the same issue with not holding a 4G connection.

After any fresh install via stock or custom ROM, 4g appears to be stable. Then I'd wait about an hour or so without installing or changing any of the settings and the 4g issues begin (disconnecting then can't find service or 4G is shown as up but the upload is working only) . At first, I assumed maybe it was a specific app that was causing the drop of 4G connection, but don't believe nothing specific on my phone shows that since when I switch over to 3G it works fine.

Currently as a turn a round I have set my phone to 3G only (CDMA Auto (PRL)) and no data connection issues and appears to be stable.

Sent from my DROID Razr using Tapatalk 2

#15 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:09 PM

should work

Lol that utility doesn't fix everything :) Like I said though, his LTE radio is toast, just like mine. Nothing can fix it. I even talked to Hashcode about it and he said there is no fix for it.

#16 dstearle

dstearle

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

Well I'm in the same boat too. This sux . So there is no way to ever get 4g working again?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

#17 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Well I'm in the same boat too. This sux . So there is no way to ever get 4g working again?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

According to Hashcode and Matt, nope.

#18 dstearle

dstearle

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

Thanks BDH, kinda assumed it just didn't want to believe it.

#19 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

Thanks BDH, kinda assumed it just didn't want to believe it.

Yeah it sucks man. 3G is horrible lol.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD using Tapatalk HD

#20 proximous

proximous

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

Thanks to everyone for the help. So if I get a used RAZR on eBay, is it as simple as switching the SIM card and I'm good? Or do I need to call Verizon to make the switch?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users