18 replies to this topic

#1 junkmail1005

junkmail1005

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, its my first time posting.

My friend handed me a XT912 with the "Encryption Unsuccessful" problem.
After reading every post here that I could find referencing the problem I decided Matt's newest utility was the way to go.
The bootloader screen says version 0A.77, which leads me to think it is a JB install.

I am able to get into Recovery and AP Fastboot.

Using Matt's utility the flash goes fine. I get to the 'wipe data' message and do it, then i restart the phone.
Back to the "Encryption Unsuccessful" error.

I've even tried to let the utility run, then before allowing it to restart, booting it into recovery and manually wiping cache/data, but to no avail, always "Encryption Unsuccessful."

Flashing from RSD goes through, but the same problem persists.

My questions are:
1) Is there any way to get into the filesystem so I can trick the Razr into using the Internal/External SD swap trick?

2)I'm no newbie to Moto flashing, I've owned several models of Droid since the OG, but I'm to assume there is no way to root/flash Safestrap or CWM without being able to turn on USB debugging, or even get into the phone?

3)Is this phone Bricked?

4) Anyone know of a working ICS/JB install for the OG Droid? (Off topic, but I thought I'd throw it out there :) )

I have tried every version of Matt's Utility since the initial try, including the JB unbricker.

Is there anything I can do? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

#2 junkmail1005

junkmail1005

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Note: I know my questions seemed to have been answered in other posts, but so far, not one single fix has worked. Could it be the internal SD is crapped? Is there a way to swap the Internal/external SD through a mod of the files in Matts utility or an OTA zip?

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have never performed this data encryption thing (I honestly don't know why people bother with that, but to each their own) so I can not comment as far as that's concerned. But let me see if I'm following you. You are running a full set of FXZ files through RSD lite (the proper files I assume since you're booting) AND you are performing a full data/cache wipe before the first boot up. My only ? would be have you tried to format the SD cards?

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#4 junkmail1005

junkmail1005

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have never performed this data encryption thing (I honestly don't know why people bother with that, but to each their own) so I can not comment as far as that's concerned. But let me see if I'm following you. You are running a full set of FXZ files through RSD lite (the proper files I assume since you're booting) AND you are performing a full data/cache wipe before the first boot up. My only ? would be have you tried to format the SD cards?

Yes on the RSD lite question.
And I I'm not technically booting all the way. No matter what, I only get the Moto boot and then the Razr boot animation, then the "Encryption Unsuccessful" message.

I don't think I can format the Internal SD, without getting the phone to load all the way to a home screen, or having an alternative Recovery. The stock recovery doesn't have a format option. I can only get in to the Bootloader and the stock recovery.

Is there a method to format the internal SD without getting into the phone's setting menu? I thought the RSD flash did that.

He tells me the phone was on ICS, but the bootloader says 0A.77, which I take to mean its JB.

#5 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

Yes on the RSD lite question.
And I I'm not technically booting all the way. No matter what, I only get the Moto boot and then the Razr boot animation, then the "Encryption Unsuccessful" message.

I don't think I can format the Internal SD, without getting the phone to load all the way to a home screen, or having an alternative Recovery. The stock recovery doesn't have a format option. I can only get in to the Bootloader and the stock recovery.

Is there a method to format the internal SD without getting into the phone's setting menu? I thought the RSD flash did that.

He tells me the phone was on ICS, but the bootloader says 0A.77, which I take to mean its JB.

I think it can be formatted via a fastboot command but I'm not positive as most people try NOT to erase their storage. I know fastboot -w erases the user data and cache but I believe it leaves the internal storage intact. Let google this one up.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#6 RETUSAFNCO

RETUSAFNCO

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Check out this link:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Follow the instructions, I had the same problem after backing up my system with clockworkmod with bootstrap installed.

Hope it works out.

#7 Bakerboy448

Bakerboy448

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

You have tried 

option 1.
correct?

#8 RETUSAFNCO

RETUSAFNCO

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Yes,on the link that I added.

#9 jcs78

jcs78

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Did you ever get the phone working again? I'm having the same issue and have tried everything that is posted about it and nothing seems to work

#10 Richy_T

Richy_T

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

Bump. Same issue as jcs78

Installed CWM, backed up data, rebooted. Then got the "unsuccessful encryption" message. Managed to get to fastboot and erase userdata and cache and it boots after that but on the next boot, it's back to "unsuccessful encryption".

Also, my computers fail to detect the phone properly when in fastboot mode. This is two different computers, five different usb cables and over windows and linux. It *has* detected it correctly two times so far but I have replugged dozens of times with no luck detecting. I have a fastboot cable on order just in case but it seems like there is something else at play here?

#11 Richy_T

Richy_T

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

Update: Just plugged the phone into my MythTV box and it was detected immediately and repeatably. Odd as the Windows and Linux boxes are fairly recent motherboards and the MythTV box is a 5-year-old dual core Athlon affair. At least I can proceed with fastboot options now. Though I'll probably have to work out getting WIndows on a drive on it.

#12 Richy_T

Richy_T

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

Update2: So it's not as good as I thought. Although the fastboot mode does go into "USB Connected" mode when I plug it around on the mythtv box, the majority of those are not where I can use moto-fastboot. It just hangs at "erasing uerdata" or whatever. Also, when I unplug the cable, the phone does not recognise the disconnect. So I think it crashed. Another thing I noticed is that when it is doing this, it doesn't detect the USB connected at the first plugin, only the second. When it was working right, it would detect the unplugging and plugging immediately. So I think my phone has crapped out, most likely in the USB chip or something. Of course, it is when I an in "OK, I just want to -w and get the phone back to working and not touch it again for a while" mode that it absolutely refuses to take a -w and it did it twice when I was in a "just poking around" mode.

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

The problem is...... CWM is NOT compatible with the xt912..... See this post here

and it should help point you in the right direction :)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#14 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

Also..... When and if you get it booted "normally" .... Its a good idea to completely wipe internal storage and wipe (or remove sdcard) ..... Then if necessary, re-flash stock (again).....

jhf.png

#15 Richy_T

Richy_T

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

Current status:

I pulled a laptop out (T530) and was able to get fastboot to work on first plugin on that. I probably should have just done the wipes to get me rebooted but I did the Batman Jellybean-install-and-wipe. So now I'm up. At least for now. Weird thing was that when fully booted, the phone came up as "unrecognized device". I was thinking of rooting it but for now, I'm just going to leave it. I've burned a bunch of time on it, I need it for work and I have a fastboot cable and a used motherboard on the way. It almost would seem as if it's damaging the USB ports in some weird way but they are perfectly useable with other peripherals.

#16 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Windows PC ?...... Install proper drivers from here

.... Then plug back in to PC (with OEM USB cable) it should finish installing drivers........ Then it shouldn't show up as unrecognized device...

As far as the USB port being damaged, not likely as it probably wouldn't be recognized by any device at all...... The USB cable plays a huge part in what does or does not function properly believe it or not...... If you have a OEM USB cable it is always best to use it when connecting the phone to ANYTHING....:):)

jhf.png

#17 Richy_T

Richy_T

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

Yeah, I got to work today and used the OEM Motorola cable and not a sausage. Nothing on the data side (though I am able to charge OK) not unrecognized, not even a sign that there was a USB device plugged in. This is on the computer that I had previously rooted it on. I haven't rebooted since the boot after the flash though and there is an update waiting to install but I'm not doing *anything* that could result in an unusable phone until the weekend now.

Of the cables I was trying previously, two were Samsung brand, one Lenovo and the others were off-brand. The one I seemed to be having most success with was a very short aftermarket cable but to be honest, success was so infrequent (for the fastboot), I wouldn't swear to anything.

I even tried plugging the phone into the Raspberry Pi (fastboot mode again). But nothing in the logs at all from that. I do have all the correct drivers installed.

This is what I see on the Linux box when it doesn't get detected by the way...

Sep 20 12:45:50 nova kernel: [9265057.449590] hub 4-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
Sep 20 12:45:51 nova kernel: [9265058.409672] hub 4-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
Sep 20 12:45:52 nova kernel: [9265059.369753] hub 4-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
Sep 20 12:45:53 nova kernel: [9265060.329838] hub 4-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
Sep 20 12:45:53 nova kernel: [9265060.329847] hub 4-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1

And on success:

Sep 20 12:52:53 nova kernel: [9265480.365187] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device
 number 5 using ehci-pci
Sep 20 12:52:53 nova kernel: [9265480.481470] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idV
endor=22b8, idProduct=4365
Sep 20 12:52:53 nova kernel: [9265480.481475] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: M
fr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
Sep 20 12:52:53 nova kernel: [9265480.481477] usb 1-2: Product: XT912
Sep 20 12:52:53 nova kernel: [9265480.481478] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Motorola
Sep 20 12:52:53 nova kernel: [9265480.481480] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 0A3XXXXXXF0
0E008
Sep 20 12:52:53 nova mtp-probe: checking bus 1, device 5: "/sys/devices/pci0000:
00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-2"
[Snippage]

Though I expect that doesn't help much.

#18 Richy_T

Richy_T

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

Definitely hardware issues. I got the factory cable and when I plug it in, it will do fastboot cable type things (reboot with some kind of comm app) but no comms at all and the fastboot screen doesn't recognize the cable as plugged in. Regular data cable no luck at all.

As I had already ordered a replacement motherboard, I plugged that in with the factory cable and it was recognized by the OS. I was even able to get the fastboot app to talk to it and it would run the Motorola net drivers when I tried a reboot (was not able to get adb working but oh well).

So I have a working phone with data dead on the USB for now. I'll probably just hang out until I feel like swapping in the other USB or I might see if our phone guy has any RAZRs that have been turned in he'd be willing to swap out.

#19 Richy_T

Richy_T

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

Interesting. I let my battery run down to 0 and now it appears that I may have my USB connectivity back. I need to do some more testing though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users