GoCliffGo05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Twitter:GoCliffGo
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):RAZR HD Developer Edition, N7, X2

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

If a new recovery is flashed(like CWM), are we immune from future Motorola/Verizon updates to re-lock the phone?

If you're on stock you will still get prompted for the ota, even with twrp or cwm. It won't be successful though. If its the same as older moto phones, if you have root you can freeze the upgrader/updater.apk (don't remember exactly what its called) and you won't be prompted.

Edit: probably "blur updater vzw" in system/app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

#42 djousma

djousma

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

If you're on stock you will still get prompted for the ota, even with twrp or cwm. It won't be successful though. If its the same as older moto phones, if you have root you can freeze the upgrader/updater.apk (don't remember exactly what its called) and you won't be prompted.

Edit: probably "blur updater vzw" in system/app.

Thanks for the response. I guess we out of the loop for all further "stock" updates then. Last time I unlocked was on my old Thunderbolt to run BAMF. I did like having CWM and Rom Manager installed, not just for flashing new ROM's but to also take a backup of the entire phone "just in case".
  • jroc likes this

#43 DonKilluminati

DonKilluminati

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

I tried using the 1-click method to install TWRP, but now it seems I do not have a recovery installed and the thread has disappeared. Help?

#44 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

I tried using the 1-click method to install TWRP, but now it seems I do not have a recovery installed and the thread has disappeared. Help?

Hang loose. Thread was pulled updating file

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#45 natedogg11

natedogg11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Wow...I really can't get over how painless that was. Awesome work. Can't wait to see how much this helps the Devs out.

#46 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Folks fyi beside 2 builds from Hashcode there is NO ROMs built for the Dev edition devices only. That said any ROM built for use with SS will work, however to use it you need to manually Mount /system in TWRP before flashing the ROM. If you dont it will fail most likely.

As for the recovery Hashcode has them done already and has for awhile for us Dev edition owner. Go to his Goo.im page and download the *.img file and flash it using fastboot.

#47 JackxFrost

JackxFrost

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationEverywhere
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Does this work for the Maxx HD? I only see three devices. Maxx HD wasn't on the list. Or am I an idiot and the Razr HD and Maxx HD have the same stuff?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

#48 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Once the bootloader is unlocked, people are saying a hardware fuse in the silicon actually trips open permanently? Does this mean there is no chance of the bootloader being locked again even after an OTA update?

I'm on 4.1.2 now, rooted, and bootloader unlocked. Does this mean that even if I accidentally lose root, I can always revert back to 4.04 and root it that way and manually update up?

Nope not in the least bit. I'll put $$ on the fact Moto will be forced to push out a fix ASAP to lock these down again. that said i wouldn't be surprised to see if patched with a permanent fix that can't be gotten around like on the OG Razr/Maxx/Bionic/D4.....etc

#49 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,371 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

How? Any patch they put out to "relock" the devices that are already locked would also affect the Dev versions. The Qfuse is blown by this hack, so, there's no way to relock it anyway. They WILL close the hole that's used to make the Qfuse change....you can bet on that. But for those that unlock it now? Not a chance IMO.
  • satman80 and cmh714 like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#50 Cooljoe

Cooljoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR HD Unlocked Bootloader

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

We need a teardown after unlock to see if anyone can find this qfuse/efuse and see if it's blown

#51 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,371 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

LMAO. It's not exactly like that. :) It's a piece of silicon. An nvRAM chip that is write only once. They "blow it" by writing to it. After that it can never be written to again.
  • heffzilla likes this

#52 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

No. Word is that Moto will push an OTA pretty quickly to lock it up again. Maybe even replace the boot loader entirely with a new one.

People, NEVER ACCEPT OTA's. It's unlikely that you're OTA would even flash if you ditch motorola's recovery anyway. But still ONLY get updates from the Devs. NO MORE OTA's!

If a new recovery is flashed(like CWM), are we immune from future Motorola/Verizon updates to re-lock the phone?

Most Likely, yeah. Still. NO OTA's PLEASE peoples!
  • chucklehead likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#53 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

LMAO. It's not exactly like that. :) It's a piece of silicon. An nvRAM chip that is write only once. They "blow it" by writing to it. After that it can never be written to again.

No siiiiiiiiiiiiiir, replaced it with my car fuse and BOOM! Back to normal :P :lol: jk, just trolling lol
  • SamuriHL and TALLYWACKER like this

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#54 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,371 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

People, NEVER ACCEPT OTA's. It's unlikely that you're OTA would even flash if you ditch motorola's recovery anyway. But still ONLY get updates from the Devs. NO MORE OTA's!

Most Likely, yeah. Still. NO OTA's PLEASE peoples!

This!!! Once you're unlocked, just wait. You'll get an update that you can flash later...one with root built in and all the goodies. Hell, it might even be debloated for you if you're patient. And all the "bad stuff" will be removed. :)

#55 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,371 posts

No siiiiiiiiiiiiiir, replaced it with my car fuse and BOOM! Back to normal :P :lol: jk, just trolling lol

SMDH... :)
  • satman80 likes this

#56 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

How? Any patch they put out to "relock" the devices that are already locked would also affect the Dev versions. The Qfuse is blown by this hack, so, there's no way to relock it anyway. They WILL close the hole that's used to make the Qfuse change....you can bet on that. But for those that unlock it now? Not a chance IMO.

Didn't ask and no reason to as i have a Dev edition HD & M. I was just curious for friend locally is all seeing as I'm the one who gets called. That said when I asked about future lock with a patch I was told YES.

#57 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,371 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Didn't ask and no reason to as i have a Dev edition HD & M. I was just curious for friend locally is all seeing as I'm the one who gets called. That said when I asked about future lock with a patch I was told YES.

Hmmm. I think there's got to be a misunderstanding there. Either that or my understanding of the situation is very wrong but I don't believe so. Once the Qfuse is blown, it should act exactly like a dev phone that's been unlocked. There's no way to relock them once that's done. I'd be very curious to know details from someone who believes it can be relocked with a future patch. This is physically changing hardware that's write once so I'm confused as to how it'd be done.
  • cmh714 likes this

#58 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

That said any ROM built for use with SS will work, however to use it you need to manually Mount /system in TWRP before flashing the ROM. If you dont it will fail most likely.

Thanks for this, I added it to the 2nd post.

Hmmm. I think there's got to be a misunderstanding there. Either that or my understanding of the situation is very wrong but I don't believe so. Once the Qfuse is blown, it should act exactly like a dev phone that's been unlocked. There's no way to relock them once that's done. I'd be very curious to know details from someone who believes it can be relocked with a future patch. This is physically changing hardware that's write once so I'm confused as to how it'd be done.

From what I've learned. The only difference between retail devices and dev phones are the identifier tokens of the dev phones are kept in a database with motorola. It is technically physically possible to guess the "real" unlock code for any retail device and compile an unlock key. With that being said, once these are unlocked, they're unlocked. I believe there is a "relocked" state you can get in to (I'm not positive). But I am not aware of how to "lock" them again.
  • SamuriHL likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#59 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for this, I added it to the 2nd post.

No prob bud. I fought ROMs on my Dev edition for a bit with nothing built exactly for them so it was frustrating at one point. Got it figured out tho and so far I have flashed Virteous, Fuzion, Blk Widow, White Widow. CM 10 & 10.1 to it and even a DST build without issue

#60 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

No clue man wish I could help more. That said tho a Dev edition can be relocked form my understanding. Now why you would want to I dont know but i swear i was told it can be if you have the code they gave you to unlock it. No help to me as i bought my Dev Editions used and they were unlocked and I never got the code as i didn't know at the time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users