mdowns989

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Twitter:@mdowns989
  • Google+:+Michael Downs
  • LocationCentral Coast Cali.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Ok... I installed the leak via Cheesecake... everything works just fine BUT when soak test/OTA is released its almost always a different build and I want to be on the latest and greates.. meaning I will have to fastboot backwards... no big deal... I have not found a single version of the .173 FB files that have worked for me other than running through the Utility...
Do I need to FB to 744/748 THEN flash to .173? I saw a few posts back a link to .173 FB files with an .xml you needed to swap out.. simple enough and am wondering if thats the best way or the utility?
I mean its really no big deal to take 2 steps back to 744 and OTA to 173 but I always like to save some time...
So xml edited 173 FB or Utility?

#82 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

Ok... I installed the leak via Cheesecake... everything works just fine BUT when soak test/OTA is released its almost always a different build and I want to be on the latest and greates.. meaning I will have to fastboot backwards... no big deal... I have not found a single version of the .173 FB files that have worked for me other than running through the Utility...
Do I need to FB to 744/748 THEN flash to .173? I saw a few posts back a link to .173 FB files with an .xml you needed to swap out.. simple enough and am wondering if thats the best way or the utility?
I mean its really no big deal to take 2 steps back to 744 and OTA to 173 but I always like to save some time...

Actually the last two ota for 173 as well as 748 we both exactly the same ad three leaks that were out weeks in advance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

#83 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

For me it was FB back to .744 i already have have matts utility 1.42 that doesnt have webtop files and didnt need to waste time on waiting for another big file to download. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#84 rexboe

rexboe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

I wonder if they took the file down at moto. All I get now is device is up to date.

#85 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter:530SharksFan
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

For me it was FB back to .744 i already have have matts utility 1.42 that doesnt have webtop files and didnt need to waste time on waiting for another big file to download. Lol

For me, when I needed to start off fresh, I just used the complete RSD files for .173 directly and started from there. For me, it wasn't necessary to go all the way back down to .744 or .748

#86 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

OK since a lot of people decided that the file being pulled until all the bugs were address didn't apply to them, and went ahead and found the leak elsewhere, ignoring the constant warnings that it is extremely dangerous to do so, we are posting this thread to help anyone who needs to get back to 6.12.173.

That is all well and good for those who ignored the warnings. For those who heeded the warnings and are waiting for all of the bugs to be addressed, what is the status of getting those bugs fixed?

#87 GeXX

GeXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Twitter:gexx

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

That is all well and good for those who ignored the warnings. For those who heeded the warnings and are waiting for all of the bugs to be addressed, what is the status of getting those bugs fixed?

Then you should be on stock .173 and wait for moto to push the official ICS.

#88 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Then you should be on stock .173 and wait for moto to push the official ICS.

How does that guarantee that the ability to root is not lost in the process?

#89 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:@Dr_Carpenter82

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

It doesn't. There are never any guarantees when modding your phone. There's a chance someone will find a new exploit, but no guarantee. But considering many of us have managed to keep root through the update to the leak, the same process will likely work for the official ota.

#90 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Just out of curiosity, what bugs are we talking about? I haven't really noticed any...

#91 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

running great here ics seems to freeze most apps natively anyway and i installed ics camera+ and gallery2.apkl and love this setup. Using zumocast also as motocast wont let me login.

Do you have the apk for ics camera+? I can't seem to find it online... I tried using the stock Google camera from gapps, but it has a few issues running on this build.Edit: nvm found it on the market, camera ics+ not ics camera+...

#92 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

It doesn't. There are never any guarantees when modding your phone. There's a chance someone will find a new exploit, but no guarantee. But considering many of us have managed to keep root through the update to the leak, the same process will likely work for the official ota.

I've never updated any phone over the air, preferring to upload an OTA that has been vetted by others. My hope is that the talent here on droidrzr.com is actively working to make the file available to us in a relatively safe format before it is released. That is what was done with Froyo and with Gingerbread as I recall. Hopefully the days when we benefited from folks like p3Droid and others in getting leaked files is not gone forever.

#93 Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

I've never updated any phone over the air, preferring to upload an OTA that has been vetted by others. My hope is that the talent here on droidrzr.com is actively working to make the file available to us in a relatively safe format before it is released. That is what was done with Froyo and with Gingerbread as I recall. Hopefully the days when we benefited from folks like p3Droid and others in getting leaked files is not gone forever.

I know for sure of at least 3 great devs that have been working on it, p3droid being one of them... I think those days are far from over :)

• johnbrain likes this

#94 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

Just out of curiosity, what bugs are we talking about? I haven't really noticed any...

The OP to this thread referenced "bugs" perhaps he will chime in. The only issue I know of for certain is the problem with sideloading

#95 GeXX

GeXX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Twitter:gexx

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

If you want a phone that you can always be guaranteed to root, then get a nexus, or get a razr developer version w/ no warranty.

Chances are that the moto phones will be rootable, but it is never promised. There may be a backdoor update path, then someone will find another way to do it directly like in the case of .173.

If you want a supported version of android, then stick with stock firmware and non-rooted, then you can call verizon or moto guilt free and they will support you. Whenever you mod a phone be prepared to buy a new phone if you wonk it up..

#96 composi

composi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Twitter:Jorell_EC
  • Google+:Jorell Albino

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

got the leak, installed and kept root with no problem, just got the email from MFN for the soak test, used Matt's utility to get back on stock 173 and worked perfectly...checked kernel and all the info in about phone, everything is back...why couldn't we use Matt's utility? I saw someone say if you used CC to get the leak then you could use Matt's utility, and I used the CC leak...so only those who tried to sideload can't use the utility?

#97 composi

composi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Twitter:Jorell_EC
  • Google+:Jorell Albino

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

ehhh I'm RSD'ing to be on the safe side regardless...

#98 jhalsey205

jhalsey205

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

I used the Razr Utility to go back to stock .173 and then used Cheesecake to download the leak and Voodoo to maintain root. No problems here

#99 Guest_jmdearras_*

Guest_jmdearras_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

OK, I got pulled into the frenzy last night. I loaded cheesecake, and tried to update. I was NOT successful, I just got the Motorola Account needed dialog. I am now content to remove cheesecake and wait, now, but want to get rid of the Motorola account error, so the actual OTA will work.

What is my best path back to normalcy with mt current .173 system?

Thank you,

Jim

I decided to start :lite and work up to more aggressive recovery methods.
The first thing I tried, factory reset from the setup->Privacy worked. Razrutility to reroot and I am back. :) :)

Now to wait for a safer update method, or just OTA!

Jim

#100 johnbrain

johnbrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yeah. Patience is not my strongest suit but I'm going to try to wait. I have ics on my Acer a500 and really like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users