25 replies to this topic

#1 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

A video of Webtop on the new ICS leak.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 Techman20

Techman20

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

If you click on the 4 arrows on the bottom right hand corner it will put it in webtop mode

#3 poisonousjuice

poisonousjuice

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

can't wait to get it!

#4 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

do u need a micro HDMI cable? or can you do it with a regular USB cable?
a what? an android? whats that?

#5 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

So they got rid of Linux and just made it ICS tablet interface?

...That's acceptable. I guess.

#6 ghoticov

ghoticov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Twitter:ghoticov

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

So with a lapdock, is there really a need for a tablet? I may sell my Xoom on ebay. :)

#7 tktk

tktk

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

So they got rid of Linux and just made it ICS tablet interface?

...That's acceptable. I guess.

I sure hope not. I was hoping for more Linux, not less. Firefox allowed visiting sites like Hulu as well as add ons like proxy changes to view content limited to certain countries (like BBC iplayer.) Losing that functionality makes the already weak webtop almost completely useless. Most native android programs are painful using the lapdock because they are designed for a touch interface that the lapdock lacks (and the text is too big on the larger lapdock screen.)

If they really have ditched the linux parts of webtop than I hope the developers here can fill the void.

#8 bL33d

bL33d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

i like it. if it is indeed more ics.

#9 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

I sure hope not. I was hoping for more Linux, not less. Firefox allowed visiting sites like Hulu as well as add ons like proxy changes to view content limited to certain countries (like BBC iplayer.) Losing that functionality makes the already weak webtop almost completely useless. Most native android programs are painful using the lapdock because they are designed for a touch interface that the lapdock lacks (and the text is too big on the larger lapdock screen.)

If they really have ditched the linux parts of webtop than I hope the developers here can fill the void.

That's what it is. They changed "tablet mode" into "webtop mode" and tossed it out. The video isn't using webtop mode, it's using native phone size, but yeah.

#10 evan30

evan30

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

does anyone know how webtop 3.0 is being allowed by default on the stock leak via standard hdmi? on all other builds i had to use an app called nebtop to get it working without the dock. not that its a problem lol, just seems interesting to me...

#11 noahsark3

noahsark3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

does anyone know how webtop 3.0 is being allowed by default on the stock leak via standard hdmi? on all other builds i had to use an app called nebtop to get it working without the dock. not that its a problem lol, just seems interesting to me...

EDIT: Someone on XDA has tested and found Nebtop unnecessary.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#12 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

If this is the case, i hope they release a tablet that we could dock the razr into instead of a lapdock. It would be more like a 10.1 tabdock. Same apps, bigger screen! I'd buy one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  • leviwg likes this

#13 noahsark3

noahsark3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

That's exactly what my dad said. I told him I got the lapdock and he said a tablet dock would make much more sense.

#14 tktk

tktk

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

A tablet and a laptop serve very different needs. In terms of hardware, it makes more sense to expend the Razr onto a tablet- like the upcoming Padphone from ASUS. But a laptop is a much better productivity tool since you can type on it a theoretically use software that is more compatible with a PC through Linux. For a business person or researcher, having a keyboard and access to a full productivity suite is something that could differentiate a Lapdock/webtop from the more consumer oriented competetion. But I guess Moto does not see a future in that directoion.

Regardless, the lapdock lacks a touchscreen, making the new webtop implementation a step in the wrong direction. I guess they have an eye for the future where they add a touch screen. But what is the purpose of tailoring the software for hardware that does not yet exist?

#15 noahsark3

noahsark3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

A tablet and a laptop serve very different needs. In terms of hardware, it makes more sense to expend the Razr onto a tablet- like the upcoming Padphone from ASUS. But a laptop is a much better productivity tool since you can type on it a theoretically use software that is more compatible with a PC through Linux. For a business person or researcher, having a keyboard and access to a full productivity suite is something that could differentiate a Lapdock/webtop from the more consumer oriented competetion. But I guess Moto does not see a future in that directoion.

Regardless, the lapdock lacks a touchscreen, making the new webtop implementation a step in the wrong direction. I guess they have an eye for the future where they add a touch screen. But what is the purpose of tailoring the software for hardware that does not yet exist?

Motorola could always go the Transformer route and make a convertible tablet-laptop hybrid. Or even just advertise a Bluetooth keyboard with the dock. Android, with a keyboard, can be a perfectly viable productivity machine, the only limitation being the software-- we need stronger office suites mainly. But, like your last point, the software should follow the hardware. Once there's a strong productivity-minded dock, it's only a matter of time before the software catches up. Until then, splash top works remarkably well.

#16 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

So, for the best of both worlds would be to create a lapdock with touchscreen that would rotate and fold down like some of the touchscreen laptops. Mouse/keyboard for the office/buisness and touch screen for a tablet experience. But for myself, i would prefer a tablet form factor and just use a dock with keyboard and mouse if u need it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#17 tktk

tktk

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

Better video:

• spollock likes this

#18 theonlycosmic

theonlycosmic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Better video:

http://youtu.be/4OQB2dUEWOs

Wow. Definitely need to hook this up to m PC, lol.
Current Phone: Motorola Droid Razr MAXX Stuck on .210 Running Black Widow ICS ROM (leak)

#19 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Can webtop 2.0 be run from ICS if someone preferred it over 3.0? Would it boot anything in the Osh directory? I'm not completely sure how it runs. Seems like 2.0 ran a small distro of linux to run firefox. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#20 tallnerd1985

tallnerd1985

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

Can webtop 2.0 be run from ICS if someone preferred it over 3.0? Would it boot anything in the Osh directory? I'm not completely sure how it runs. Seems like 2.0 ran a small distro of linux to run firefox. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have a feeling they removed loop device from the kernel so there is no way to start the chrooted environment that UbuntuTop requires. Maybe a module can be implemented or something but another feeling I have is that Motorola lost the rights to the tools that make Webtop work because Canonical is launching Ubuntu on Android.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users