Photo

[AOSP-KERNEL] QCOM 3.4 Kernel Development [06/10: Android Booting - Firmware issues]

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#21 animez

animez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Shut up and take our money!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

13.67KB   181 downloads
  • zooyork0721 and triskropf97 like this

#22 llawen

llawen

android tweaker

• Superuser
  • 551 posts
  • Twitter:@llawen
  • LocationGlenn hieghts, Texas
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx hd

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

Still hard to grasp. Unlocked boot loaders....and now custom kernels. That was just a wish at one time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  • zooyork0721 and triskropf97 like this
Posted Image

#23 koftheworld

koftheworld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Twitter:koftheworld

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hi Guys,

I thought I would get a thread going on this as I'm moving along (rather slowly -- I'll admit) on developing a new kernel for the Motorola QCOM phones.  Obviously I will be testing it against the RAZR-HD, but if done correctly it should support RAZR-M, Atrix-HD and Photon Q.

Why a new kernel?
For full Android 4.2.x support we need to migrate to a fully redeveloped video system which include vsync, fencing and other major changes from the 3.0 kernel.  We have tried to backport some of these changes with some success but in the meantime it's causing other side effects.  Along with the video driver updates are camera subsystem and many many other updates.
For the future of the device we want to stay as close to Nexus type devices so that we can compile AOSP out of the box so to speak.  N4 (Mako) uses a 3.4 kernel based on the same exact branch that I'm using from Code Aurora Forums (CAF).

What sources am I using?

I've started on the CAF base branch "jb_2.5" used to bring up the Nexus 4 device:

And the new kernel source is on github under a "razrqcom-dev-team" where Pinter and DHacker and others can all join in:

[NOTE] I have NOT posted my local changes to that kernel yet.  It's the CAF sources + 2-3 commits I cherry-picked in, currently.

Current Status:
[DONE] Add all new drivers from the Motorola JB kernel posted on Sourceforge.net
[DONE] Patch existing code with Motorola specific changes (in a minimal sort of way -- only what is absolutely required here)
[DONE] Fix compile errors
[IN-PROGRESS] Boot testing using a recovery.  Have to get far enough to where I'm seeing a ram-console "last_kmsg".
1-by-1 debug each driver using last_kmsg to where we get a fully functioning recovery build.  This includes using binaries like evtest to debug touchscreen events, and other sensors.
Change over to a full Android build using CM sources which are fully patched up against CAF's latest sources: includes new hardware drivers for video, camera, audio and others.
Debug the Android boot using strace and other binaries till it's solid enough to start using specific apps to play test and debug issues.
Once I get to a point where I can post a full dmesg, I'll add that to this post (for those that are curious).

Thanks for being patient.

Good on fixing number 3 btw hash.

sent from my xt926 RAZR maxx hd

#24 BootAnimator

BootAnimator

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Just out of curiosity, will it require Moto to release some of their source to get everything working properly? Not really literate in kernel info. Or is it more of the hardware side of things that need to be released? Like needing QComm source? For video fixes...etc. or can that all be fixed with newly written code.....or.....?

#25 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, will it require Moto to release some of their source to get everything working properly? Not really literate in kernel info. Or is it more of the hardware side of things that need to be released? Like needing QComm source? For video fixes...etc. or can that all be fixed with newly written code.....or.....?

A little bit of both.

#26 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

It's nice to see the words "kernel" and "development" together on a Motorola forum.  Good work Hash.  

R. Long: Pixel 5

#27 megahertz1970

megahertz1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Google+:markw4itg@gmail.com
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

I so can't wait for this. Got a little taste of it running the PACMAN ROM for a night. Love the customization it has but it wouldn't send picture messages which is a deal breaker for me. Other than that it almost seemed good enough to be a daily driver. Keep up the good work! You'll get it eventually. I wish I knew how to do this stuff and had the time I would help.

#28 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

I so can't wait for this. Got a little taste of it running the PACMAN ROM for a night. Love the customization it has but it wouldn't send picture messages which is a deal breaker for me. Other than that it almost seemed good enough to be a daily driver. Keep up the good work! You'll get it eventually. I wish I knew how to do this stuff and had the time I would help.

I was able to pull a MMS.apk off of XDA and replaced the one that was included in a CM build I was using.  It worked like a charm.  

#29 sfg

sfg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Device(s):RAZR HD MAXX, Nexus 10

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

I was able to pull a MMS.apk off of XDA and replaced the one that was included in a CM build I was using.  It worked like a charm.  

Can you share it please

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

#30 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

Can you share it please

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk 2

This is the one I used when I was on Trippin' Bean.  Marxman incorporated it and there were no problems with MMS after that (as far as I know).  I know it's in the ATT forum, but it worked perfectly for me. 

• sfg likes this

#31 Hashcode

Hashcode

King-Of-Code

• Developer
  • 227 posts
  • Twitter:Hashcode0f

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Got my initial Motorola changes for 3.4 updated to github:

Took a while, now back to debugging the initial boot sequence.

• vtwinbmx, bdazzg1, TjNaps27 and 13 others like this

#32 eck79

eck79

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:eck79

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hash, really appreciate your work. Equally as important we really appreciate you keeping us up to date. So much easier to be patient and supporting when you've taken the extra time to update the OP as you have. You're going above an beyond! Fantastic!

• Chahta likes this

#33 desireaftergod

desireaftergod

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationNH
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Maxx

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hash, really appreciate your work. Equally as important we really appreciate you keeping us up to date. So much easier to be patient and supporting when you've taken the extra time to update the OP as you have. You're going above an beyond! Fantastic!
Posted Image

#34 jpmorris123

jpmorris123

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

Thanks for updating the OP.  It's great for us non-devs to get a peek at the steps for building a kernel.

#35 rebretz000

rebretz000

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationJohnstown, PA
  • Current Device(s):Huawei Nexus 6P, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

<br />Ignore me. I a moron<br /><br /><br />Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2<br />

#36 Hashcode

Hashcode

King-Of-Code

• Developer
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:32 AM

Motorola releases source on sourceforge.net/motorola.  They are actually quite good about it.

The source for the xt925 and xt926 is shared.

• jroc, jtommyj, shane1 and 2 others like this

#37 divadem

divadem

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

First and foremost I want to thank you Hashcode for taking your time to make this kernel from the ground up. I have no idea what that entails but your work gives me a very general idea of what is going on and the time and effort put into this is amazing. Thanks, my Razr HD would be very boring without you.

Would an app like PGM Galaxy Nexus (which enables slide to wake without touching the power button) be possible on the kernel you are building? Any plans to put in this awesome feature? I sorely miss this useful feature on my nexus and would gladly purchase an app( or other support) to enable this premium feature on your custom kernel in the future. I don't know how difficult this would be but I hope you consider it.

My Reasons for Slidetowake include:

- Great for waking your phone with any hand, no need to stretch fingers.
- Save stress on mechanical buttons
-Easier to unlock phone while it's lying on surface without grasping phone.
-possibly better for left handers.
-iPhones can't do it, they still use mechanical means of waking phone, same circle button used since the first iPhone( let's use capacitive ).

This can be achieved with minimal battery drain for those wondering.

Here is a link to the app that and those features that I and I'm sure many others would find usfeul on this phone.

Thanks.
  • GillRigged likes this

#38 Narffran

Narffran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Twitter:Fran_Granfield
  • LocationNorth of Boston MA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Use Smart Screen On from Google Play. You don't even need to touch the device just swipe your hand past the sensor. :o

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#39 Hashcode

Hashcode

King-Of-Code

• Developer
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Updated the #2 post w/ the first bootlogs of the kernel.

• trikotret, pcarenza, jtommyj and 4 others like this

#40 th3drow

th3drow

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Really excited for this would be great to have 4.2 up and running with everything working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users