#441 jgattonii

jgattonii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

The newer Ubuntu should have what you need for wifi

- just my two cents here, but if you mess around at all with your Bionic and there is going to be a relatively great chance that you will need to root again, I would set up the VM.  That way, you are all set, ready to go.  If you go USB, then later use the USB for something else, you will have to set it up all over again.  LiveCD sounds much the same situation.

I'll confirm that for Live CD.  I had to re-start the process several times (crazy password) and my settings didn't save...

#442 ndtemple417

ndtemple417

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • LocationSouth Kakalake
  • Current Device(s):Note 2

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

anyone know the progress of john galts project?

#443 zetachi

zetachi

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Google+:zetachi
  • LocationNYC
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic, Nexus 7, ASUS Transformer

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

I'll confirm that for Live CD.  I had to re-start the process several times (crazy password) and my settings didn't save...

I'm not in any way a Linux guru but I think with the live CD and USB it does not save anything unless you go with persistence, and not even sure if that is an option with LiveCD.

#444 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts
  • Google+:matjmonk@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

I just used a VM.  It's up to you which way you go.

I booted from Ubuntu 12.10 Live CD and was able to use the Wifi drivers supplied.  I did have to enable it in something like System Settings>Software Sources>Can't remember next tab but it was on the far right. 

The newer Ubuntu should have what you need for wifi

- just my two cents here, but if you mess around at all with your Bionic and there is going to be a relatively great chance that you will need to root again, I would set up the VM.  That way, you are all set, ready to go.  If you go USB, then later use the USB for something else, you will have to set it up all over again.  LiveCD sounds much the same situation.

I'm not in any way a Linux guru but I think with the live CD and USB it does not save anything unless you go with persistence, and not even sure if that is an option with LiveCD.

So it sounds like the preferred way is going the VM route? I've used VM before on XP and Windows 7 but they were both workstations so I guess there's a first time for everything!

Thanks folks!

Posted Image
Bubba, perfide lues Odocoileus virginianus felines et ubique!

#445 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,453 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

So I tried the "using an android smb share" idea.  Doesn't seem to work for me.  It's complicated anyway because you still need to have something driving the usb connection to the phone to run the adb commands.  I may keep at it but when I execute pwn I get an i/o error.  Seems bad.  :)  At the moment I'm not rooted.  lol.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#446 DroidOG75

DroidOG75

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

I finally got it to work. I was having problems connecting to the "share" folder from my phone. I figured it had something to do with the config file I changed early on. I had to put a ";" in front of every line I entered in the config file. Then everything ran like a dream and now I have root!!! I'm always going to use OTA RootKeeper from now on, which I should have done in the first place, but I was in a rush to get JB.

Thanks Dan and SamuriHL for all of your hard work and helpful tips!  :D

• SamuriHL and livinginkaos like this

#447 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

So I tried the "using an android smb share" idea.  Doesn't seem to work for me.  It's complicated anyway because you still need to have something driving the usb connection to the phone to run the adb commands.  I may keep at it but when I execute pwn I get an i/o error.  Seems bad.   :)  At the moment I'm not rooted.  lol.

too bad you don't have a "virtual" Bionic to try this stuff on!

Posted Image

#448 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,453 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

too bad you don't have a "virtual" Bionic to try this stuff on!

This bionic is as virtual as it gets.  LOL.  :)  It's a testing device now.  When I say "I'm not rooted now" don't take that to mean "OMGZ PONIES I lost root!"  First off, I have 2 protected su binaries...one for Voodoo and one for House of Bionic.  Second, I have no problem running the linux exploit..I connect my Bionic to USB, connect the remote storage, and execute run.sh.  Done.  :)  The beauty of NOT putting your samba share in a tmp dir.  ;)

• DroidOG75 likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#449 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

This bionic is as virtual as it gets.  LOL.   :)  It's a testing device now.  When I say "I'm not rooted now" don't take that to mean "OMGZ PONIES I lost root!"  First off, I have 2 protected su binaries...one for Voodoo and one for House of Bionic.  Second, I have no problem running the linux exploit..I connect my Bionic to USB, connect the remote storage, and execute run.sh.  Done.   :)  The beauty of NOT putting your samba share in a tmp dir.   ;)

Was there any English in that quote? You lost me after OMGZ!!!!

Posted Image

#450 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

I have a fastboot file (xyz.xml.zip) and i need a system.img, but i can't find a file called system.img in the zip !?

What am i doing wrong !?

Sounds to me like you have questionable fastboot files possibly. Where did you get them from? What device? And if its a 910 what country. Kind of sounds like you need to go to the source to get the correct fastboot files.

#451 nyteowl

nyteowl

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Okay, relative noob here in a tough spot.  

The only PC i have access to is at work on a LAN line.  Office does have wi-fi but the PC is not wi-fi enabled so I can't get this computer and my phone on the same network.  

My only other computer is an unrooted android tablet.  I understand that there is a developer version of a beta ubuntu for android available.  Before I jump into the process of rooting the tablet and flashing a ubuntu ROM (if I can find one), does anyone have any idea if this exploit would work that way or am I just screwed?  

Thanks!

#452 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Sam/Kaos other Guru's, I having a heck of a time getting a VM for Linux setup on my work laptop. I'm using VMware Player 3.1.4 and the Ubantu 12.10 iso from the LiveCD link in the OP. During the install, I point the VM program to the ISO and it automatically selects "easy install" and after clicking next a couple of times I get the message "cpu has been disabled by guest operating system" I've done some searching on the VM support site without success so I'm wondering if I need to use a different Linux ISO type and thought I would ask those of you with a lot more experience at this than me. Any help is always appreciated.

Posted Image

#453 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

Sam/Kaos other Guru's, I having a heck of a time getting a VM for Linux setup on my work laptop. I'm using VMware Player 3.1.4 and the Ubantu 12.10 iso from the LiveCD link in the OP. During the install, I point the VM program to the ISO and it automatically selects "easy install" and after clicking next a couple of times I get the message "cpu has been disabled by guest operating system" I've done some searching on the VM support site without success so I'm wondering if I need to use a different Linux ISO type and thought I would ask those of you with a lot more experience at this than me. Any help is always appreciated.

Get a newer version of VMWare Player.  Mine is like 5.X - It may not hav ethe right protocols for your proc.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#454 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Try this -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#455 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Try this -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Unfortunately, the access control on the work WIFI won't let me get to your link and I don't see another version of the player on our company servers. I'll keep digging and see what I can find. thanks a bunch though. 

Update:

Since I to can use google (like our Samuri), I did find a download for the updated VM player and running through the Linux install now, it's gotten much further that before so I'm feeling hopeful. Thanks again Kaos

Posted Image

#456 martxelone

martxelone

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr Maxx XT910/Nexus 7 Wifi

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:09 AM

Thanks, you're a crack, works perfect in Motorola Razr Maxx XT910, great contribution, a greeting.

#457 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Okay, relative noob here in a tough spot.  

The only PC i have access to is at work on a LAN line.  Office does have wi-fi but the PC is not wi-fi enabled so I can't get this computer and my phone on the same network.  

My only other computer is an unrooted android tablet.  I understand that there is a developer version of a beta ubuntu for android available.  Before I jump into the process of rooting the tablet and flashing a ubuntu ROM (if I can find one), does anyone have any idea if this exploit would work that way or am I just screwed?  

Thanks!

If you can get the phone on the company wifi and assuming the wifi network and lan network can communicate, it should still work.

#458 nyteowl

nyteowl

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

If you can get the phone on the company wifi and assuming the wifi network and lan network can communicate, it should still work.

I tried that, no joy.  Could not get the phone to access the share folder. 

#459 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

I tried that, no joy.  Could not get the phone to access the share folder. 

Well youre gonna need to get the PC and the phone on the same network to make the smb share available

#460 s27moto

s27moto

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:saeed_salek_b
  • Google+:saeed.salek.b
  • LocationTehran - Iran
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD | Defy Mini | Razr V3

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

wow nice work can i try in mint ?

Did you know 151 people per second die in the world calculating on 217,000 per day
and 173 people per second are born on the calculation of 273,000 births per day

Motorola is ready when you are

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users