985 replies to this topic

#641 leanjohn

leanjohn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

I am having problems at the first step, I am running unbuntu 12.04.2  off a CD and get the following message when I go to install samba:

Unbuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install samba
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 samba : Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2) but 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.3 is to be installed
         Depends: libwbclient0 (= 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2) but 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.3 is to be installed
         Recommends: tdb-tools but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ 

Any help???  I am a linux noob

Thanks!!!!

#642 hadeshorn9

hadeshorn9

Moot Minion

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • LocationBoston MA area
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64gb, Dell Venue 8, Chromecast

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

I am having problems at the first step, I am running unbuntu 12.04.2  off a CD and get the following message when I go to install samba:

Unbuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install samba
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 samba : Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2) but 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.3 is to be installed
         Depends: libwbclient0 (= 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2) but 2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.3 is to be installed
         Recommends: tdb-tools but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ 

Any help???  I am a linux noob

Thanks!!!!

That is step two,

step one,

sudo apt-get update

;)

OG -> Bionic -> (2013) Moto X DE -> Nexus 6 64gb Running 5.1 via Samuri's HoN 

#643 ingramr1576

ingramr1576

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Having trouble with this. I'm using Live CD for Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS. Can get all the way through the steps and can see the shared folder on my Bionic. When I enter the command for ./run.sh I get:

[+] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

And I wait with no results.

Any suggestions? Did I miss this in the thread?

Thanks for all the work.

#644 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA
  • Current Device(s):XT926 Razr Maxx HD, Xoom, Nexus 7 (car install)

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Having trouble with this. I'm using Live CD for Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS. Can get all the way through the steps and can see the shared folder on my Bionic. When I enter the command for ./run.sh I get:

Thanks for all the work.

Did you plug the phone into USB? Debugging checked? Mtp mode?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#645 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the work.

Did you plug the phone into USB? Debugging checked? Mtp mode?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

And if you're running in a VM, did you make sure the USB device is being picked up by the VM and not the host OS?

#646 ingramr1576

ingramr1576

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

And if you're running in a VM, did you make sure the USB device is being picked up by the VM and not the host OS?

Nope, not running in a VM, but did find the solution with these responses.

It really helps if you are actually using a Motorola USB cable and in MTP mode.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Now I'm set.

• Int_Rnd_Pooka, livinginkaos and pistacio like this

#647 texassax

texassax

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

finally got around to giving this a shot.  deleted my OpenSUSE partition, which I hadn't touched since installing over a year ago, installed a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 32bit, and jumped in head first.  I at least have a good base of command prompt knowledge since my family's first computer ran DOS, so not all of the syntax was completely foreign, but for the most part I have no idea what I just did, but I did it perfectly and I have root access back!  :)

thank you Dan for helping us out of this jam.  a few months ago I was so eager for my contract to be up, to jump ship from Verizon, and get a Nexus.  while it could still happen, it's weird to think that I might just rather have a more locked-down phone if I knew some of the awesome peeps from this community were going to be there.  while I'm sure there are great people providing great support, making great ROMs, mods, etc in other places, we Moto fans are a pretty cool bunch.  I'd like to thank Dan, Sam, and everyone else in our little world who has helped me out in one way or another.

but seriously, what the heck did I just do?  samba share?  sudu?  anyone want to give me a relatively simple translation of what's actually involed in the instructions?

• Int_Rnd_Pooka and livinginkaos like this

#648 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

OK, most of what you are doing is explained in the text preceding the commands, but the way the exploit works is that there is a "hole" so to speak in the files apk that allows linux script to be run through the remote storage connection (network shared folder) with the proper permissions to push the information needed into the system. 

The sad thing is that 90% of the process that we perform is just setting up a network shared folder and connecting the Bionic to it.  

• Int_Rnd_Pooka and texassax like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#649 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Nope, not running in a VM, but did find the solution with these responses.

It really helps if you are actually using a Motorola USB cable and in MTP mode.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Now I'm set.

Awesome! Glad you got it worked out with a quickness too! Only cable I have that is reliable for data transfer is from a digital camera. All my Moto ones have been yanked and dropped by the wife and kids so many times that they constantly lose connection in mid transfer. This is NOT good when doing things that affect the core usability of your phone

#650 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

OK, most of what you are doing is explained in the text preceding the commands, but the way the exploit works is that there is a "hole" so to speak in the files apk that allows linux script to be run through the remote storage connection (network shared folder) with the proper permissions to push the information needed into the system. 

The sad thing is that 90% of the process that we perform is just setting up a network shared folder and connecting the Bionic to it.  

Yup. All these steps in the root exploit how-to and like two of them are actually related to RUNNING it. The rest is just prep work. And it's so incredibly good to see so many people learning this stuff, even if they never use it again

#651 texassax

texassax

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

interdasting

I'll probably be doing some googlin' later to at least get a basic understanding of some of this stuff.

#652 xanderful

xanderful

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Finally worked for me on a Ubuntu 64bit load. I made sure I had my phone set to factory defaults. And when it says to push a hardware button, I kind of left it alone until it rebooted.

• SamuriHL likes this

#653 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hey folks, I'm looking for some guinea pigs to test an automated version of this process.

I created a minimal CentOS 6.4 32-bit installation on VirtualBox and wrote shell scripts to automate the exploit.

I've created a file (.ova) that you can import into VirtualBox on your WIndows PC, power up the VM, and it will run assist with connecting to the SMB share, and then run the exploit. This all happens right from the console without requiring a login.

The only bad news... The file is 487MB.

I've already rooted my phone, so I can't fully test the process.

I'm in the process of uploading this to DropBox so I can share it. Any other suggestions where I can upload the file to wider distribution?

I'd also like you Linux experts to contribute to this to make it better.

The most important thing is to make it easier for everyone to root their Bionic.

Post edited... Adding link to file:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#654 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hey folks, I'm looking for some guinea pigs to test an automated version of this process.

I created a minimal CentOS 6.4 32-bit installation on VirtualBox and wrote shell scripts to automate the exploit.

I've created a file (.ova) that you can import into VirtualBox on your WIndows PC, power up the VM, and it will run assist with connecting to the SMB share, and then run the exploit. This all happens right from the console without requiring a login.

I'm in the process of uploading this to DropBox so I can share it. Any other suggestions where I can upload the file to wider distribution?

The most important thing is to make it easier for everyone to root their Bionic.

One of the other Mods was supposed to have done this, but not sure what happened, so thank you for taking the initiative. Not sure if Matts unroot app works on the Bionic but it probably should, but not sure how game you would be to lose root for the sake of a test :)

If anyone does try this on their Bionic or 910 once marty posts a link, please report back.

If you want to post your scripts, we can certainly take a look at those for logic.

#655 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Marty, I'd be happy to test it, but it wouldn't be until Monday. If you still need me then hit me up.
  • cmh714 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#656 lemonoid

lemonoid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@DoseOfAndroid
  • LocationBoone, NC
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, Incredible 2, X2, NS4G,

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

ok so. I have everything set up and was ready to root after the update, but the update keeps screwing up. first time i uninstalled  safestrap, tried, no beans. btw im on stock rooted ics. second time, i did a factory reset from stock recovery, and downloaded and tried to install the update and no beans once again. can anybody tell me wtf is goin on? do i have to fxz this thing? i thought that you could upgrade on rooted stock as long as it had all the stock apps and i uninstalled SS? thx for reply

#657 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

At what point is the update crashing and what is the error shown?

You should be able to use the HoB keep data and update from there .

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#658 marleyinoc

marleyinoc

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Twitter:marleyinoc
  • Google+:+RicCrockett
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 and Bionic on WiFi

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

ok so. I have everything set up and was ready to root after the update, but the update keeps screwing up. ...

Kaos has it right... That's a different thread, though!

__________________sent from my bionic with dub_________________

#659 lemonoid

lemonoid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@DoseOfAndroid
  • LocationBoone, NC
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, Incredible 2, X2, NS4G,

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

At what point is the update crashing and what is the error shown?

You should be able to use the HoB keep data and update from there .

pretty much right after it boots to recovery and starts. its not putting out any type of log so I couldn't say exactly at which part, but maybe about 1/3 of the way through the update I get the broken android/red triangle.

#660 marty45714

marty45714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

I hardly ever use my DropBox account, so I'm hoping this link works:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users