jp1044

DEVELOPER

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Twitter:@jp1044
  • Google+:jp1044@gmail.com
  • LocationColorado
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X Developer Edition, Droid RAZR HD (backup)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

dan-rosenberg-tweet-unlocked-sgs4-bootlo

The Galaxy S4 had a rough start in the sense of ROM and kernel development. First, the head of CyanogenMod declared publicly that there would be no official support for the Galaxy S4 because it was only a minor step-up from the S3. Then later, Dan Rosenberg said that the Galaxy S4 bootloaders would not be able to be unlocked unless they were able to be unlocked without hacking. On top of all this, AT&T announced that their variant of the Galaxy S4 would ship with a locked bootloader. It goes without saying that Verizon's variant would also be bootloader locked, as Verizon has never been known to carry such a device. So far, the Galaxy S4's development future wasn't looking too bright...until yesterday.

If you don't know who Dan Rosenberg is, then you must not have rooted your Motorola device in the past 2 years. Dan Rosenberg has rooted almost every recent Motorola device on every software version. He even unlocked the bootloaders on the RAZR HD, M, and Atrix HD. This guy is a legend. He has come to the rescue again by "hacking" the Galaxy S4 bootloaders on Verizon and AT&T. He has confirmed that this allows a user to flash custom ROMS and kernels. Sounds good right?

It does, but if you are able to get your hands on an S4 before the Verizon version of the device starts shipping, don't count on hacking it. Rosenberg is waiting until the Verizon variant of the S4 is released, and for good reason. A month gives Verizon plenty of time to get an update together to patch the exploit before the device is even released. Although you may have to wait a month before you can hack your bootloader, it is for a very good reason.

Patience, people, patience...

via @djrbliss and

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• neckchop, tucstwo, T3T3droid and 3 others like this

If you feel the urge to donate to me, you can do so here -> Donate

#2 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'm surprised he even let everyone know he got this far. He must feel confident that the vulnerability is tough to locate.

• Staf_in_Wah and zooyork0721 like this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#3 cdavid469

cdavid469

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationFort Campbell

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Without telling anyone what the vunuerability is, it would be just as tough for them to find as it was for him, maybe tougher since they are clearly not on his level. I now know the next device I will own, if I find it cheap enough.

AND this...

(

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

).

Donate to Dan, he has done more for the Android community as a whole, and to fight the carriers, than anyone I can think of. I am humbled by the awesome he exudes into the Android world. He makes the rom developers, app creators, modders, crack flashers, and almost everyone's life easier. Thank you Dan. Donation sent.

• Maxxaholic likes this

#4 threewest

threewest

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Current Device(s):XT926

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

I'm not a Sammy fan, and hate to be a downer, but I'm afraid our motos may not get quite as much dev attention now that its been hacked as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users