Photo

Airplane Mode Doesn't Turn Off Mobile Data or GPS?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

I've noticed that, when I put my Droid Razr Maxx HD into 'Airplane Mode', it turns off Wifi, Bluetooth, and the mobile phone voice service, but it does not turn off the mobile data connection (i.e. my connection through Verizon's mobile phone network) or GPS.

Now, when I say that it doesn't turn off GPS, so far I'm only talking abou tthe indicator; I haven't actually tried it yet. However, as for the mobile data connection, I know that it's not just the indicator, because I still receive e-mails and app updates via the mobile data connection while in Airplane Mode.

I wondered if there were any way to edit Airplane Mode and configure it to also turn off these other things when it gets activated. So, I looked around. I downloaded and tried 'Airplane Mode Modifier' by wParan (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

), and it says that I can add other radios to its settings, but doesn't actually help me find where those settings are.

Questions...

1. Does anyone else have this experience where Airplane Mode leaves GPS and the mobile data connection on?

2. Is there a good, known, safe method/procedure for editing the settings for Airplane Mode?

#2 MasterGadgets

MasterGadgets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

It turns off my data just fine.

<a href=

#3 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

I've noticed that, when I put my Droid Razr Maxx HD into 'Airplane Mode', it turns off Wifi, Bluetooth, and the mobile phone voice service, but it does not turn off the mobile data connection (i.e. my connection through Verizon's mobile phone network) or GPS.

Now, when I say that it doesn't turn off GPS, so far I'm only talking abou tthe indicator; I haven't actually tried it yet. However, as for the mobile data connection, I know that it's not just the indicator, because I still receive e-mails and app updates via the mobile data connection while in Airplane Mode.

I wondered if there were any way to edit Airplane Mode and configure it to also turn off these other things when it gets activated. So, I looked around. I downloaded and tried 'Airplane Mode Modifier' by wParan (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

), and it says that I can add other radios to its settings, but doesn't actually help me find where those settings are.

Questions...

1. Does anyone else have this experience where Airplane Mode leaves GPS and the mobile data connection on?

2. Is there a good, known, safe method/procedure for editing the settings for Airplane Mode?

Airplane Shuts down your phone, Emails and Data connections of any incoming Calls, Emails, SMS...Period...Shouldn't have to download any Modifers...this is Built-in the System...

Have you tried Reflashing your ROM my friend...?

Its Bubba...."Stubborn In Your Bones"

#4 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

It turns off my data just fine.

OK, cool.

Airplane Shuts down your phone, Emails and Data connections of any incoming Calls, Emails, SMS...Period...Shouldn't have to download any Modifers...this is Built-in the System...

Have you tried Reflashing your ROM my friend...?

Actually, regardless of what's supposed to be happening, on my phone (in fact, on both Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HDs that I've had so far), 'Airplane Mode' leaves the mobile data service (and GPS) ON.

I have indeed reflashed the ROM, friend :) (can never have too many of those. So, thanks for whatever advice you can send my way) and no change.

#5 MasterGadgets

MasterGadgets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:05 AM

Maybe go back to the stock ROM and see if it any different.

• BIrONIC likes this
<a href=

#6 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

Or
A Trip to the Verizon Store...

Its possible you'll have to do a "Dusting n Cleaning back to Stock...meaning to remove Root another words to get your phone replaced...maybe

Airplane shuts down your Data/Phone period

Its Bubba
~Stubborn In Your Bones~
  • BIrONIC likes this

#7 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:14 AM

OK, cool.

Actually, regardless of what's supposed to be happening, on my phone (in fact, on both Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HDs that I've had so far), 'Airplane Mode' leaves the mobile data service (and GPS) ON.

I have indeed reflashed the ROM, friend :) (can never have too many of those. So, thanks for whatever advice you can send my way) and no change.

That's really weird...

I turned on my Airplane Mode to see what would happen...

• No Incoming Emails
  • No Incoming Phone Calls
  • No Outgoing Calls
  • No Internet
  • No Data Signals at All
  • No GPS

My Phone is Dormain...

Just turned it back on...Now Everything is working again...Seriously, Airplane Disables the total Phone...

End Of Story

#8 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

I just did that recently, but I don't recall if I checked it at all while there. So, perhaps that's a good idea.
Thanks. I will give it a try and report back...

Or

Its possible you'll have to do a "Dusting n Cleaning back to Stock...meaning to remove Root another words to get your phone replaced...maybe

Its Bubba
~Stubborn In Your Bones~

Ya....Best Buy in my case. It's my second Maxx HD (first one got replaced because of a faulty USB/charging port). So, I know they know how to replace em.   :lol:
If I can't get this thing working properly, I guess I may go that route for this problem.
Thanks.

That's really weird...

• No Incoming Emails
  • No Incoming Phone Calls
  • No Outgoing Calls
  • No Internet
  • No Data Signals at All
  • No GPS

My Phone is Dormain...

Just turned it back on...Now Everything is working again...Seriously, Airplane Disables the total Phone...

End Of Story

Well, that's the end of your story, but mine continues as stated.
Geez, do you think I'm making this $h!t up, or what, dude?

• shane1 likes this

#9 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

I just did that recently, but I don't recall if I checked it at all while there. So, perhaps that's a good idea.

Thanks. I will give it a try and report back...

Or

Its Bubba

~Stubborn In Your Bones~

Ya....Best Buy in my case. It's my second Maxx HD (first one got replaced because of a faulty USB/charging port). So, I know they know how to replace em. :lol:

If I can't get this thing working properly, I guess I may go that route for this problem.

Thanks.

That's really weird...

No Incoming Emails
No Incoming Phone Calls
No Outgoing Calls
No Internet
No Data Signals at All
No GPS
My Phone is Dormain...

End Of Story

Well, that's the end of your story, but mine continues as stated.

Geez, do you think I'm making this $h!t up, or what, dude?

My gut is telling me you should start from scratch again...Back to Stock...

Droid X days we called it SBF...cleaning your Phone from Top to bottom...something is corrupting your Media Files and misc files...

I know you're not making this stuff up...

Why are you buying your phone at Best Buy?

Its Bubba
" Stubborn In Your Bones"
~FlyingJelly~

#10 BIrONIC

BIrONIC

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

Droid X days we called it SBF...cleaning your Phone from Top to bottom...something is corrupting your Media Files and misc files...

Its Bubba
~FlyingJelly~

I will try the going back to stock thing, and report back.

As for Best Buy, why not? They sell phones, and hook us up with the same, exact Verizon service contracts that we'd get at the Verizon store, but we get much better service at the 'Best Buy Mobile' shop. So, with that, plus the GeekSquad replacement plan, for us, it's a no-brainer.

#11 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:21 AM

Its Bubba

~FlyingJelly~

I will try the going back to stock thing, and report back.

As for Best Buy, why not? They sell phones, and hook us up with the same, exact Verizon service contracts that we'd get at the Verizon store, but we get much better service at the 'Best Buy Mobile' shop. So, with that, plus the GeekSquad replacement plan, for us, it's a no-brainer.

Why I asked, never thought of Best Buy as a viable Phone source for phone... good to know for down the road

Its Bubba
~FlyingJelly~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users