Chahta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Twitter:toph4er
  • Current Device(s):Droid X

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

*Under Construction, see link at bottom of post to contribute*

The following is a work in progress, and will eventually be much more extensive. I just want to give a taste of what is to come and hopefully spur feedback.  If you have any ideas whatsoever, please add them to the Google Doc (link below).

Hey all,
I wanted to create a little resource here for devs and testers to hopefully streamline the testing process and identify problems. With any luck, this will lead to more stable releases. This should essentially read as a checklist and it will evolve with your feedback. If it helps, I will try to include links to common "fixes" relating to issues that will help this serve as a one stop shop for bugsquashing. Naturally, try everything you can on first boot and again after rebooting.

The intention of this thread is to have a list of "Yeah wifi works, BT is borked though" type things that can go wrong.  General use can shake up a lot of bugs, sure, but it helps when the process is regimented to help devs and testers alike think of everything.  I really wish this to be as comprehensive as possible, but keep in mind that it should apply to all ROMs.  If a feature is version (i.e. 4.1.2 or 4.2.2) specific, please specify (i.e. mount system on 4.1.2).  Devs *should* know any additional features they have added and provide them to their testers to be tested on an individual basis.

Contributors:

• Chahta
  • BigDaddyHicks

I. Install (TWRP and CWM)

Spoiler

II. First boot

Spoiler

III. Network connections

Spoiler

IV. Calling

Spoiler

Topics to include/format:

• SMS/MMS
  • Camera/Camcorder
  • Music playback (I.e. skips)

Please visit this link to contribute. Read contents entirely before making edits. Add your name to the top list so I can credit you. This post will be updated periodically to reflect current revisions.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

//I will post this on DroidRzr and Droid-Hive.  If you wish to adapt this to any other site or for any other phone, be my guest.  My only request is that you provide a link back to one of these two threads.  There is no need to mention me in post or request permission.

Sent from my unleashed xt926.

• prosaschi, JJT211 and zooyork0721 like this

#2 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

sounds like a good idea, if i understand this lol

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#3 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

Just wondering if you can clarify the intent here a little.  I've read it a few times and come up with a different possibility each time.

• Memnoch73 and zooyork0721 like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#4 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Honestly, although it's a good idea for this in case a developer wants to build for a device he/she doesn't have, most developers prefer to test themselves. Takes less time getting feedback and logcats. I love having testers though since I build for a couple devices I don't own.

• zooyork0721 and sfg like this

#5 Chahta

Chahta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Thanks guys,

To further elaborate my reasoning, I originally wanted to compile a list of everything that can go wrong (BT, WiFi, etc). I want it to cover obscure things too that I'm not even sure are an issue with the HD just in case (such as mute during calls, which has been an issue with droid x ICS ROMs). Additionally, I'd like to provide resources for devs to find fixes for common snafus.

Hicks, I agree that many devs probably have their own routine, but I still think its good to have a solid listing of everything that can go wrong in a typical build. The primary beneficiaries will probably be first time builders such as myself (hopefully by summers end anyways) who likely feel a bit overwhelmed trying to account for everything on their own. That said, I'm sure even experienced builders will appreciate some of the more obscure problems that may crop up.

Am I under some illusion that this will solve all the problems? Hell no, I still think user error/shortcutting leads to 95% of problems with a "stable" build, I'm just hoping this will help devs develop more rapidly.

Lastly, I don't feel like getting my laptop set up tonight in the cabin so I'll see if tapa has pm access and respond to any inquiries.

OP Updated

#6 Chahta

Chahta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the contribution, I added your name to the top. I'll update the OP tonight with the current state of the list, and keep a link to the freely editable list. Feel free to contribute any time, and make sure to add your name on the doc for credit.

#7 Chahta

Chahta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

OP updated, sorry its incomplete, storm here is getting bad.

*EDIT*

And OP updated again, this time with formatting!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rom, android, boot, test, development, dev, problem, fix, contribute, bug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users