• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

I'd definitely like to unlock the BL. I live on the bleeding edge! ;)

I do know that when I first booted up and activated the phone, it stated there was an OTA available. I told it no for right now.<br /><br />What's the worse that can happen if I attempt to unlock the BL? Permanent brick or can I restore back to stock somehow?

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#62 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

No no, nothing like that.  It'll either work or it'll fail.  It won't impact the install at all either way.  Let's first get you rooted.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Go there and get the motochopper.zip that's linked to at the bottom of the first post.

Once you have that installed, we'll work on the unlock.

• ibolski likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#63 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

The worst is the unlock will fail.... and still cause no "other" problems:) Ninja'd by Sam :ph34r::ph34r: HD tappin' .... hillbilly style!!
  • ibolski likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#64 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

Once you have root done, then follow this:

To perform the unlock.  If it fails, it means the TZ partition was updated to 79 at some point and can't be reverted.  But it's worth a try.  Good luck.

#65 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

I guess another question is, once it's unlocked, per what I read, it's unlocked and there's no way to go back to stock? Just curious. I wasn't sure if something was found out later after it was originally released on how to make it go back to stock with a locked BL.<br /><br />

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#66 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

You can certainly go back to stock after unlock.....:) ..... you just can't relock (don't see why you would want to tho)
The utility, RSDlite, house of moto(once set up properly) will take you back to stock....:)
HD tappin' .... hillbilly style!!

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#67 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Okay. I'm rooted. I guess I can try Matt's utility and see if it will unlock the bl?<br />

2cqd4t2.png

#68 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Well, ran the BL unlocked from Matt's utility and it said "Success".
Next, I need to install a recovery. Which is the best? I see three in Matt's utility. I'm use to TWRP from my Droid RAZR MAXX with the latest safestrap. But, I also use CWM on my unlocked Nexus 7 tablet.

Thanks for all the help!

UPDATE: At first, it appeared to work, but when I attempted to install a recovery, it said the device was locked.

DOH! I never ran the Moto-pocalypse app!!!

Looks like it work!

Thanks for all the help! Now, on to finding a nice ROM to use.
  • neckchop, Memnoch73, SamuriHL and 1 other like this

2cqd4t2.png

#69 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Awesome!  Glad we could help!

#70 bweN_diorD

bweN_diorD

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Well, ran the BL unlocked from Matt's utility and it said "Success".
Next, I need to install a recovery. Which is the best? I see three in Matt's utility. I'm use to TWRP from my Droid RAZR MAXX with the latest safestrap. But, I also use CWM on my unlocked Nexus 7 tablet.

Thanks for all the help!

UPDATE: At first, it appeared to work, but when I attempted to install a recovery, it said the device was locked.

DOH! I never ran the Moto-pocalypse app!!!

Looks like it work!

Thanks for all the help! Now, on to finding a nice ROM to use.

latest recoveries are here

• ibolski likes this

#71 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

BTW, once my bootloader is unlocked, do I NOT want to take any OTAs at that point? I know that if you apply the OTA BEFORE you unlock, you're hosed.

But, if I apply the latest OTA (which it kept bugging me about when I was on stock), would that relock my bootloader and then I'd be SOL?

Thanks!

2cqd4t2.png

#72 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

It's unlikely that any OTA coming out will relock it since it's physically unlocked by blowing an eFuse.  Which is why it can never be relocked (by us).  That being said, it's not impossible.  Just highly improbable that it'll happen.  If you're concerned, just hold off when an OTA comes out and see if anyone reports any problems.  If not, you're good to go.

#73 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

It's unlikely that any OTA coming out will relock it since it's physically unlocked by blowing an eFuse. Which is why it can never be relocked (by us). That being said, it's not impossible. Just highly improbable that it'll happen. If you're concerned, just hold off when an OTA comes out and see if anyone reports any problems. If not, you're good to go.

What is the latest for MAXX HD at this point in time? When I first booted up my RAZR MAXX HD yesterday, it stated there was an OTA. I held off on it.

As my screenshot in an earlier post shows, my system version is 9.16.6.XT926.Verizon.en.US

The build number is: 9.8.1Q-62_VQW_MR-2

I know there were some questions on the MR-2 part, so I don't know what is considered the latest.

Wanting to know more out of curiosity sakes as I haven't had any issues so far. I'm running the latest "stock" blur-based Eclipse ROM which is running great.

I'm so glad I came here first before doing anything with the phone when I got it. Good thing because I probably would have applied the OTA it was harping about and then I'd be stuck with a locked bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

2cqd4t2.png

#74 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

9.8.1Q-79-1

That's the latest OTA.  You should upgrade to it.  And then root using custom recovery.  The easiest way to do all this stuff is to use the House of Moto with the VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-79-1_CFC.xml FXZ and my universal root for unlocked phones script.  If you stop on over at the House of Moto thread you can read all about it.  I can help you there.  I don't want to clutter up Matt's thread with it though.

• johnthehillbilly likes this

#75 bwanamarko

bwanamarko

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:@breaking_bytes
  • Google+:bwanamarko
  • Locationoakland, ca
  • Current Device(s):xt926

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

[n00b alert]

For those who saw my first reply, the answer is I'm just an idiot. So now I'm editing the reply (I wish I could just delete it) to thank @mattlgroff again for this great utility. This is the third time I've used it, and the second time I have used it to restore my system to stock (unroot). Last time my phone broke and was under warranty, so back to stock, this time I got stuck in fastboot with "failed to hab check recovery: 0x56" after accepting the latest OTA (9.18.94) and very stupidly forgetting to temp unroot (I also foolishly deleted several bloat, instead of freezing them). I know I could have downloaded RSD and flashed the latest image with fastboot or something like that, but I need my phone to work and anything of any value is on my sdcard and backed up so this wonderful amazing awesome tool is my goto and it just works. Now my phone is fully functional again.

Now for anyone else whose 9.18.79 xt926 droid razr hd gets stuck in fastboot and reflashes stock 9.16.6 and thinks, oh, maybe now I can unlock my bootloader, you are still out of luck. See this post (

). Yes you can downgrade your system to 9.16.6 from 9.18.79 after taking the OTA, but no, you can not undo the patch for the motopocalypse exploit that would have allowed you to unlock your bootloader had you done it before you accepted the OTA update (of if you were unlucky enough to get a post 9.18.79 phone as a replacement). Sorry

Follow up, ha, I guess I could have used house of moto 

#76 Superman22

Superman22

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

I need to get back on stock. I need the default Moto camera back with HDR for some stuff I am working on.

I'm on CM 10.1 with TWRP

GO here 

1. Be sure to download all of the files and follow the instructions. Hope this Helps :)

#77 pencilnoo

pencilnoo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

I use this thing and now my xt926 meid is blank,cant recognize sim card,and have no signal. what should i do now?

#78 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:tjnaps27
  • Current Device(s):"Dan" Edition Razr Maxx HD

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:49 AM

Quick question. Does this utility work on the latest factory build for the xt926? My buddys phone crapped out and vz can't do anything about it. Bl is locked on his phone. Thanks I believe he's on system version 9.18.94 Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

#79 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

I don't think this has been updated to work with the latest builds.  You can use my House of Moto, though.

#80 TjNaps27

TjNaps27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Twitter:tjnaps27
  • Current Device(s):"Dan" Edition Razr Maxx HD

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

Cool thanks. My HD has been unlocked forever so I'm outta the loop with a locked one. I do have to match system versions with a locked one right? Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users