Photo

Successful Droid Razr Glass Replacement (Cracked Glass but LCD good)

Best Answer Guest_BDH_* , 04 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

You absolutely can replace ONLY the glass. HOWEVER, I just went through this with my Galaxy S3 and it did NOT end well. I ended up breaking the LCD and cracking the digitizer in the process. It can be done though. 

Where I messed up is that you need patience!!!! I rushed mine and that's how I broke it.

I'll post the video I followed for the S3, it's the same exact process. There's a layer of clear glue between the glass and the LCD. What you need to do is use a heat gun or a hair dryer and heat the screen up to around 150-180 degrees. That's the temperature in which the glue starts to melt. You also need some plastic tools (I suggest gettin some plastic razor blades.)

This is Part 1

Part 2

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kaneda_77

kaneda_77

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Don't often see hardware mods/repairs on phones. I've been looking around for a while now and haven't found any "success" stories for replacing the glass. I may not be using the right terminology. My glass(digitizer) cracked on my razr, but the LCD is still good. It's still useable, since the majority of the cracks are on the very top and very bottom. On occasion, a glass shard will poke me.

I haven't seen much in the way of advice about separating the LCD and digitizer. On the teardown guide, they don't even acknowlege it. I took it to one of those cell phone repair kiosks and the guy said $250 or something like that.

So I ordered a new glass on ebay with the intention of replacing just the glass. It should show up in a couple weeks.

Meanwhile, I managed to buy a couple "broken" razrs from a guy on CL. One has the LCD and Glass intact, but it had an EB40 battery in it and the internal "bracket" covering the battery terminal is different than mine. The other is identical, with a broken LCD. The one wih a good lcd only powers up to the M logo (maybe because of a severed battery cable). I am guessing that these have bad ESN's, so using them is probly out of the question. So who knows if it is going to work out. Side question: are EB20 and EB40 batteries interchangeable?

So anyway, advice or help is appreciated in my quest to have a good working Razr once again.

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:31 PM   Best Answer

You absolutely can replace ONLY the glass. HOWEVER, I just went through this with my Galaxy S3 and it did NOT end well. I ended up breaking the LCD and cracking the digitizer in the process. It can be done though. 

Where I messed up is that you need patience!!!! I rushed mine and that's how I broke it.

I'll post the video I followed for the S3, it's the same exact process. There's a layer of clear glue between the glass and the LCD. What you need to do is use a heat gun or a hair dryer and heat the screen up to around 150-180 degrees. That's the temperature in which the glue starts to melt. You also need some plastic tools (I suggest gettin some plastic razor blades.)

This is Part 1

Part 2

#3 liftedplane

liftedplane

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:liftedplane
  • Google+:Nicholas Boullester
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Don't often see hardware mods/repairs on phones. I've been looking around for a while now and haven't found any "success" stories for replacing the glass. I may not be using the right terminology. My glass(digitizer) cracked on my razr, but the LCD is still good. It's still useable, since the majority of the cracks are on the very top and very bottom. On occasion, a glass shard will poke me.

I haven't seen much in the way of advice about separating the LCD and digitizer. On the teardown guide, they don't even acknowlege it. I took it to one of those cell phone repair kiosks and the guy said $250 or something like that.
So I ordered a new glass on ebay with the intention of replacing just the glass. It should show up in a couple weeks.

Meanwhile, I managed to buy a couple "broken" razrs from a guy on CL. One has the LCD and Glass intact, but it had an EB40 battery in it and the internal "bracket" covering the battery terminal is different than mine. The other is identical, with a broken LCD. The one wih a good lcd only powers up to the M logo (maybe because of a severed battery cable). I am guessing that these have bad ESN's, so using them is probly out of the question. So who knows if it is going to work out. Side question: are EB20 and EB40 batteries interchangeable?

So anyway, advice or help is appreciated in my quest to have a good working Razr once again.

Listen to the guy above, I tried something similar on my bionic and ended up torching the whole thing... Why? Because I rushed it...

Bottom line be very very very patient and you can do it... My question is this, why not just take the screen/digitizer combo from the good one you have... I've not torn the razr apart but the screen is a separate piece from the motherboard and everything else in every single device I've taken apart. Just carefully remove the screen and digitizer together in one piece and put it in your phone with your good mobo. That should work

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II

#4 kaneda_77

kaneda_77

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the heads up and pointers, that was just what I was looking for.

I will plan to swap out the one that I have, but I am not sure that it is compatible. The battery was an EB40 inside. The internal case looks a bit different as well. I have read that there are differences in version (XT912, xt910, xt916... etc). i don't know how to identify the difference, but on the outside they looked exactly alike.

#5 kaneda_77

kaneda_77

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Well, after the dissassembly of all three phones, I had success. I was able to swap the LCD and Glass from one of the CL razr's. I am waiting for my glass to show up from China. I hope that patience and the tips provided will allow me to make a good replacement so that I can have a spare.

• liftedplane likes this

#6 liftedplane

liftedplane

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Twitter:liftedplane
  • Google+:Nicholas Boullester
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Well, after the dissassembly of all three phones, I had success. I was able to swap the LCD and Glass from one of the CL razr's. I am waiting for my glass to show up from China. I hope that patience and the tips provided will allow me to make a good replacement so that I can have a spare.

Congrats

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II

#7 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Glad it's working out for you! Good luck on the glass and keep us updated :)

#8 kaneda_77

kaneda_77

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

I followed the instructions of the videos. And for the most part it was pretty easy. The real issue is if you have a shattered glass. It is much more difficult to heat up the glass consistently with many different pieces/shards. I worked in something of a clockwise method and began with the larger pieces if possible. The adhesive stuck to the LCD on my attempt, which really didn't cause much of a problem for me, you just have to spend more time rubbing it off(carefully).

I did end up over heating a couple of spots, which caused discoloration in the LCD and I must have done a little damage to the LCD. Now I have a few vertical lines on the screen and two off color spots on the LCD. It's my spare phone, so it really won't matter. I will pop up some pics hopefully. If one does take their time AND you use plastic razor blades, you CAN do the replacement without damaging it, and it's really not that difficult. $20 for the glass and some plastic razor blades will get the job done. I did not use them, because I didn't want to spend time looking for them.

Turned out that the screen was just broken on the second phone and the IMEI was still good. Maybe the 3rd one will be good as well. I will just root the remaining board and sell it as a replacement if that IMEI turns out to be good as well.

Thanks again for all the tips boys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users