The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image

By

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

| May 21 2012 | 5:07 pm

Verizon this afternoon confirmed that four of its CDMA Android smartphones will receive software updates that allow them to connect to GSM networks outside the United States. The phones are the HTC Rezound, the Motorola Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX, and the Motorola Droid 4. All four of the phones phones are 4G LTE capable and thus have SIM cards, which generally is a hallmark of a GSM device.
Said Verizon:

Customers will see a notification on their device when the software update is available for their device. After the software update, customers will be able to take their smartphone overseas and use voice service in more than 220 countries and receive data in more than 205 countries.

Of course, you'll need to add some global service to your Verizon plan. Or, and this is the really good news -- Verizon tells us the phones already are SIM unlocked, so you should be able to use a prepaid SIM once you're in-country. If you don't travel outside the U.S., well, you can just go about your domestic business.

Thanks to jpcalhoun for finding this article.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

What do you guys think about this? Anyone going abroad later this year who might be using this feature?
  • biggiesmalls657 likes this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 biggiesmalls657

biggiesmalls657

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Google+:biggiesmalls657@gmail.com
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

I am surprised! Its good to know that I have that option.

#3 boxermansr

boxermansr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Since this option has been showing up in the newer leaks for the Razr/Maxx (from what I've read), it's looking more likely the 4.0.4 builds will be one of the final ones (not the ones that are out now, but likely, or hopefully a 4.0.4 build one).
Posted Image

#4 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

But the .203 -.206 are 4.0.4 anyone know if they support the GSM radio? Haven't seen much other than a warning against flashing it.

#5 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Device(s):LG Nexus 4

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

.203 already has global as default so I would assume that the newer builds do as well.

#6 Alex.Abraham

Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • Twitter:aabraham123456
  • Google+:aabraham123456@gmail.com
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yeesssss!!!!! I'm going to Israel next year to study and now I can take my phone!!!!! :D

Sent from my ICS Leak RAZR
Posted Image

#7 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Sweet, can still rock my pimped out RAZR next deployment!

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2
  • Thach and RoWilJr like this

#8 yedei

yedei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

Yeesssss!!!!! I'm going to Israel next year to study and now I can take my phone!!!!!

u can already use ur phone in Israel because it roams onto the local cdma network it costs just $2 a minute lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#9 yedei

yedei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

#10 Alex.Abraham

Alex.Abraham

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 477 posts
  • Twitter:aabraham123456
  • Google+:aabraham123456@gmail.com
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

u can already use ur phone in Israel because it roams onto the local cdma network it costs just $2 a minute lol.

Hahahaha

Posted Image

#11 Clarkkent434

Clarkkent434

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

My question is will this global update be another gingerbread update or it will be part ICS update.

Sent from my RAZR HD

#12 loociddreemr

loociddreemr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I am positive that this will be an ICS update. According to the timeline, global usage Will be unlocked later in the year, while ICS should be rollin out as of today.

#13 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

also, is this a s/w patch to be placed on top of whatever we have; or do we have to go back to stock -
& if that is the case… will it be GB or ICS based - significance is - will we be able to fastboot back to an ICS
stock & do we have the means to go fm a rooted stock ICS, perhaps loaded w/other dev based goodies & then go back to stock so we can get Int'l gsm support fm our sim card?

seeker
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#14 raclimja

raclimja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

so does this mean i could put a GSM simcard on my CDMA Droid Razr?

#15 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:08 AM

also, is this a s/w patch to be placed on top of whatever we have; or do we have to go back to stock -
& if that is the case… will it be GB or ICS based - significance is - will we be able to fastboot back to an ICS
stock & do we have the means to go fm a rooted stock ICS, perhaps loaded w/other dev based goodies & then go back to stock so we can get Int'l gsm support fm our sim card?

seeker

It will be part of a stock ICS release, but any custom ROM based on that version or beyond should also work globally.

#16 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

so does this mean i could put a GSM simcard on my CDMA Droid Razr?

The CDMA Razr had always been a but of a misnomer. The phone had the hardware of a global phone, and several dev notes left in the files point to the intention of eventually allowing global mode. It was initially released with this feature locked though. Similar to a locked bootloader, we can tell what we don't have but we had to wait for them to allow it.

#17 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

@snives, thanks - based on past performance, approx how long should it take to get Fastboot files, rooting, CWM recovery & eventually ROMs? I realize that much can depend on unknowns, but I'm looking for indications based on prev experience.

tia, seeker
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#18 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

A bit off topic, and you'll probably think I'm trolling, but I'm on the .79 leak and I pulled up my Mobile Network Settings yesterday and the Network Mode showed "Global". Not thinking, (should have grabbed a screenshot), I tapped and changed it back to LTE/CDMA. Only afterwards realizing that there was no "global" option in the list. Also, under phone info > preferred network type it is set to "unknown". Not sure what this means because my 3G and 4G seem to work fine. I changed it back to GSM/CDMA auto but when I checked it later it was unknown again.

I'm guessing these ICS leaks may already be global capable or at least they are working on it. I tried rebooting the phone to get the "Global" option back in Network Mode, but it stayed at LTE/CDMA.

#19 ncwildcat

ncwildcat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Wonder if this means we can put Rezound or Raxr on the straighttalk sim plan...something to keep in back pocket in case I get screwed with the data situation.

#20 MkVsTheWorld

MkVsTheWorld

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Twitter:MkVsTheWorld
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

What can you can use with global enabled. Is it HSPA+/HSPA/EDGE etc.? If it's EDGE, then that's really only good for phone calls and texting and a bit of data. Nonetheless, being able to drop a GSM SIM card for just EDGE would be helpful while on vacation or travel. But, does anyone have any specific clarification on what will work?
Run for your health, run for the rush, run for charity. Sign up for a race near you, you can do it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users