875 replies to this topic

#581 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

@tsitalon1 .... yes you can :) read this thread ...

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Should give you some insight on JB ROMs while on the stock ICS kernel ...

sent from my JB RAZR tapadriving

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#582 tsitalon1

tsitalon1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

@tsitalon1 .... yes you can :) read this thread ...

Should give you some insight on JB ROMs while on the stock ICS kernel ...

sent from my JB RAZR tapadriving

Thanks! Ok, so as long as I use the script in the link above to "Boot the JB OTA Leak Kernel" before trying to run a JB Rom, I should be fine...at least that's how I read it.

Thanks again!!

#583 rcb0499

rcb0499

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Google+:Ryan Burgett
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

This is caused by having root backed up by voodoo when you made your nandroid. It tries to overwrite it and silently fails. Make sure you delete the backup from within voodoo BEFORE you make the nandroid, then it will restore. I tested this, as I had problems on gb and on ICS. I made a backup with it protected, then made one with root not protected. Protected root again and tried the restores. The one made with root protected failed with the black screen. The one made without root protected restored fine, and when it booted back up, the protected copy of root was still there.
Sent from my DROID RAZR

Is there a way to delete the backup from voodoo now or is it too late? If it is possible could you please expain how to do it.

Thanks in advance

#584 pmassey31545

pmassey31545

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationJesup, GA
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX Alltel

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I messed up and wiped system on the stock side and now the stock side will not boot no matter what I try to install help please!!!

. Posts 43-46. It works if you can still get into Safestrap Recovery. I have the files for Alltel if you need them. Just lemme know. It's what I did when I pretty much did the same thing.

#585 jmdearrasrazr

jmdearrasrazr

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I've been trying to search this thread and haven't seen anyone else say they have encountered it. Sorry if it has been answered already. I am on SS 3.0.5 and was try to update to 3.11, but my stock ROM is having issues for some reason. I am on the JB leak and have been able to switch to the stock ROM before without issues, but now when I boot the stock ROM, the screen turns black after it passes the SS screen. It plays the audio of the boot animation and vibrates as if it has gotten to the end of it, but the screen remains black. The phone doesn't seem to respond to anything after that. Any help would be appreciated. I tried fixing permissions once already and no luck.

I had that with a full backup of stock restored to slot 1. There seemed to be interactions with creating new slots and blackscreening slot1

Stock "slot" never had an issue, though.

#586 OldBaldy

OldBaldy

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Is there a way to delete the backup from voodoo now or is it too late? If it is possible could you please expain how to do it.

Thanks in advance

None that I know of. You could download Hash's developer Rom, which is the full OTA with root added, install it to a slot, back it up, then restore just the system partition to your stock slot. If that doesn't work, then try changing the options in safestrap to format rather than using rm -rf and try restoring your original backup that way. If neither works you'll have to go the unbrick route using Matt's utility. Save that as a last resort because you WILL loose root when you do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#587 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

This is caused by having root backed up by voodoo when you made your nandroid. It tries to overwrite it and silently fails. Make sure you delete the backup from within voodoo BEFORE you make the nandroid, then it will restore. I tested this, as I had problems on gb and on ICS. I made a backup with it protected, then made one with root not protected. Protected root again and tried the restores. The one made with root protected failed with the black screen. The one made without root protected restored fine, and when it booted back up, the protected copy of root was still there.
Sent from my DROID RAZR

Hello,

Well if you want to really know, If your having those Issues with Stock...You need to do 1.82 Utility back to Stock and Start Over...You need a Clean Stock ROM as your Based...than Reflash Safestrap 3.11 and start All over again...Thats what I would do...but that is me...

Its Bubba

Its Bubba...."Stubborn In Your Bones"

#588 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Hello,

Well if you want to really know, If your having those Issues with Stock...You need to do 1.82 Utility back to Stock and Start Over...You need a Clean Stock ROM as your Based...than Reflash Safestrap 3.11 and start All over again...Thats what I would do...but that is me...

Its Bubba

#589 OldBaldy

OldBaldy

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hello,

Its Bubba

If you're on the JB OTA you can't go back to ICS. That's why I suggested the other ways.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#590 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

All you get after a restart is a blank screen. You can't go into safestrap menu ... Or even bypass.

Did you hold down the Power Button & Volume Button more he 10 Seconds?

Its Bubba

#591 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

If you're on the JB OTA you can't go back to ICS. That's why I suggested the other ways.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Your Right...
The JB OTA sure is a Lightening Storm for most people with ROMs/Conflicts...Utility 101 it sure sounds like to me...

Its Bubba

#592 OldBaldy

OldBaldy

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Your Right...
The JB OTA sure is a Lightening Storm for most people with ROMs/Conflicts...Utility 101 it sure sounds like to me...

Its Bubba

As I said, I was able to recover by restoring a backup made while root was unprotected. I think restoring a backup of a fully odexed Rom such as Hash's should bring him back to at least a bootable system. He could also try flashing it to the safe side if he's on SS3.11 but I've not tried it and am not going to as I was lucky enough to keep root and recover from my two fubars.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#593 rcb0499

rcb0499

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

None that I know of. You could download Hash's developer Rom, which is the full OTA with root added, install it to a slot, back it up, then restore just the system partition to your stock slot. If that doesn't work, then try changing the options in safestrap to format rather than using rm -rf and try restoring your original backup that way. If neither works you'll have to go the unbrick route using Matt's utility. Save that as a last resort because you WILL loose root when you do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I'm going to try Hash's developer Rom, I tried changing the safestrap option but it won't let you.

#594 rcb0499

rcb0499

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I'm going to try Hash's developer Rom, I tried changing the safestrap option but it won't let you.

#595 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

So everyone, how many gigs are you setting your data partitions to? I've been doing 2, but curious if 1 would do it.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Most of the Slots are 1 GB, each require at least 1928 to create the Slot...If your looking for more Meggas I will only have 4 to 5 Backups on my Phone...more than that you will lose MBs to flash other slots...Now Jelly Bean may require 2 GB...but 1 should float your boat...

Wheather its ICS or JB the Gigs depends on the number of Apps...Try 1 for now...You can alway Delete the Slot Rom and Start over if you use 2 Gigs..

Its Bubba

#596 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

As I said, I was able to recover by restoring a backup made while root was unprotected. I think restoring a backup of a fully odexed Rom such as Hash's should bring him back to at least a bootable system. He could also try flashing it to the safe side if he's on SS3.11 but I've not tried it and am not going to as I was lucky enough to keep root and recover from my two fubars. Sent from my DROID RAZR

:) Playing Safe "Is All Good Under The Hood" my friend Its Bubba

#597 The Persuader

The Persuader

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Personally, you might get it to work...but you need to clean the Baggage out of the ROM...Safe time and Voyage to the Utility Fix...Starting Clean is best...you have to much Crap going on with issues...

Fish n Cut Bait...less headaches...

Its Bubba

#598 rcb0499

rcb0499

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Personally, you might get it to work...but you need to clean the Baggage out of the ROM...Safe time and Voyage to the Utility Fix...Starting Clean is best...you have to much Crap going on with issues...

Fish n Cut Bait...less headaches...

Its Bubba

I'll give this a shot. I rather not lose root if possible.
Let you know shortly.

Thanks for your help guys

#599 richardbsweeny

richardbsweeny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

. Posts 43-46. It works if you can still get into Safestrap Recovery. I have the files for Alltel if you need them. Just lemme know. It's what I did when I pretty much did the same thing.

What if I know no one with the same phone? Accidently wiped everything from safe System now when I installed a rom and try to reboot it says there is no OS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#600 rcb0499

rcb0499

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I used Hash's dev. Rom and made a system backup and then restored it on the stock slot and it just boot looped. I'll wait a little while and see if there is another fix that allowes you to keep root.

Thank you guys for the advice and please if you can think of anything else let me know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safestrap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users