GGG59

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razor M

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I am not new to computing (since 1985) BUT I am new to Smart Phones (6 months).  When I first purchased my Motorola M, I was very impressed with all the capabilities and shortly thereafter went to gain root privilege. I tired one, can't remember the name and it did not work. Then I found "motochopper" after hours of reading and gave it a try.  It worked perfectly, following all instructions of course.

This morning, I saw on my screen an update avaiable, without thinking or any coffee, I hit "install" This was update (98.18.78) I believe...

What did I just do???  When the phone rebooted, first thing I noticed is I was not getting SU permission requests for Avast, Android Firewall, Clean Master, etc..   I lost my root privileges...

Did I just fry myself???   Is there any way to re-root???   Can I roll back the update???  If no to everythiing, is there a root program on the way???

I very much appreciate everybodys, time, consideration and assistance ! ! !  I want my root back :angry:

Thanks in Advance..

GGG59

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Did you unlock your bootloader at any point?

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 timpohladthomas

timpohladthomas

OSE DEVELOPER

• Developer
  • 1,428 posts
  • Twitter:@timpohladthomas
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Did you unlock your bootloader at any point?

My guess is no... And if that's true... Your are out of luck for now my friend.

PDbEXCr.png

Thank Zoo/Owain for my Awesome Sig! If you want to support the Build Server that helps keep OSE going, Click HERE!

#4 GGG59

GGG59

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Bootloader??   I am a rookie here sorry, can you please explain?

#5 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

If you have to ask then you most likely didn't do it and since you took the update its too late as the blocked the ability. Just something to remember on any modified device - do not take any updates without doing some research first. It can save you from cases like this.
  • timpohladthomas likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#6 GGG59

GGG59

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for your help.. 

#7 GGG59

GGG59

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Doing a factory reset, backed up apps, starting over, thanks again

#8 GGG59

GGG59

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Reset put the new update on by default, didn't work

#9 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

Reset put the new update on by default, didn't work

Correct. All a factory reset does is give you a fresh version of whatever OS version you are on

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#10 GGG59

GGG59

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hey Guys,

1) Is it at all possible to download the entire operation system prior to recent update and do a clean install and try to restore phones prior "rootable" state?

2) Is there any others out there that may be bringing forth a new root option for those of us that added the 98.18.78 system upgrade?  What is the average time it takes those dedicated people to make it avaiable.

3) Can "motochopper" or "razor_blade" be modified to create exploit for this?

My Phone is working well otherwise, just do not like not having root access, huge loss..

THANK YOU all in advance for taking your time to help!

GGG 59

#11 brandon71

brandon71

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Google+:tbd7171@gmail.com
  • LocationKodak, TN
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr M

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

If you were unlocked you could downgrade to a older system version

And it's hard to tell when or if there will be another exploit from now on don't take updates lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

#12 sdh91

sdh91

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I know just how you feel. I was waking up from a nap and saw the update and didn't think to check if I would lose my root before installing. I am a not too highly advace in Android systems so I never did a boot unlocker. I always wanted my standard stock rom and just root access for things like Root Remover to remove stupid bloat ware and Link2SD so I wouldn't kill my internal storage. Now I have the update and am SOL till a new exploit comes out if there is one to come out at all.

#13 Pallol

Pallol

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Just out of idle curiosity is there a way to safely apply the 98.18.78 update to a rooted and unlock bootloader that won't unroot and lock the phone?

Thanks

Edit, OK so I found the answer in

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#14 crepiduse

crepiduse

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

This will restore your root. 

#15 Someolddude

Someolddude

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid razer m DOA :( New phone Samsung note 3 :)

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Just out of idle curiosity is there a way to safely apply the 98.18.78 update to a rooted and unlock bootloader that won't unroot and lock the phone?

Thanks

Edit, OK so I found the answer in

You have to unroot to have the update be successful. Use voodoo to hide root and update then restore root with voodoo. The update won't lock an unlocked boot loader. Also if you have a custom recovery it needs to be replaced with the stock recovery with Matt's utility . Then install the twrp if you like after the update and restoring root with Matt's utility. You may find you need option 1 of Matt's utility also if you have delegated anything in the system.
  • bobbywrk likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: root, update, motorola m, 4.1.2, android, xt907, help, question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users