Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

[SCRIPT/UTILITY] ROOT RAZR M XT907 for LOCKED Devices on 9.18.78

ROOT FIX

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
618 replies to this topic

#1 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

POPULAR

MAJOR EDIT done by SamuriHL

IF YOU DO NOT READ THIS FULLY, WHEN YOU BRICK YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN

Those that can follow directions will not need a link to Motochopper 1.3, which no longer exists.  Get the original Motochopper from here:  

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Now, if you are on 9.18.78, you can follow these directions:

REQUIREMENTS:

Google for "motorola usb driver" and install it.

DIRECTIONS:

o) Get this: 

o) Extract the boot.img from it

o) Flash the boot image using AP Fastboot mode: fastboot flash boot boot.img

o) Reboot and run motochopper

o) Get this: 

o) Extract the boot.img from it

o) Flash the boot image using AP Fastboot mode: fastboot flash boot boot.img

o) Reboot and you are done

WARNINGS:

o) If you are on any other build than 9.18.78, following the above directions *WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE*.

o) If you are not able to follow the directions above, DO NOT USE THIS ROOT METHOD UNTIL YOU CAN.  That does not mean asking for step by step instructions.  It means GO READ AND LEARN BEFORE DOING.

credits:

DJRBliss for Motochopper

for the updated Motochopper

for the updated Mac/Linux script

for adding the system img flashing lines

Much thanks to 

for connecting me to 

devised by 

!

• CellZealot, neckchop, rickw and 29 others like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#2 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Excellent!

• toddbecker likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#3 jakeepooh

jakeepooh

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Unlocking the bootloader is no longer an option.

That sounds kind of ominus. Does that mean that it is unlikely that unlocking the bootloader will ever be possible again? Man I should have checked in on these sites more often. I normally root my devices as soon as I get them, but this time I didn't because of the bootloader thing. Then I didn't think about it again until after the latest OTA that messed things up.

Anyway, I really appreciate the work and effort that you and other devs put in to make all this stuff possible. I hope my whining doesn't make it seem like I blame you guys for me being late to the party. This is all on me.

• rickw likes this

#4 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

There is very, very little chance of another unlock exploit becoming available.  To give you an idea of how difficult the first one was, Dan had to trace through the Trusted Zone code to determine how a normal unlock (on a dev edition phone) worked.  After finding all the right calls, he worked out that there was a bug that allowed him to basically inject a call to blow the correct qFuse that unlocks the phone.  That bug (security hole) has since been closed by the latest update.  The likelihood of finding another security hole in the trusted zone code that allows the qFuse to be blown is damn near zero.  Not impossible, but, highly unlikely.

• Gytole and jakeepooh like this

#5 enk0r3

enk0r3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

WORKS FREAKING GREAT! Except the last thing seemed redundant because it said it failed because superuser.apk was already installed! Thank you! It worked GREAT! I've been tearing myself since the OTA because i updated. Thank you so much!!!

• rickw and livinginkaos like this

#6 arodin

arodin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

WORKS FREAKING GREAT! Except the last thing seemed redundant because it said it failed because superuser.apk was already installed! Thank you! It worked GREAT! I've been tearing myself since the OTA because i updated. Thank you so much!!!

enk0r3: did you do all steps, 1-6, or did you only need to do 2-6? What are you running it on?

#7 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

That's only because you previously had root so the superuser app was already there.  That particular error doesn't effect a thing :)

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#8 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

enk0r3: did you do all steps, 1-6, or did you only need to do 2-6? What are you running it on?

If you are on the recent update, you will have to do step 1 or Motochopper will not work.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#9 jakeepooh

jakeepooh

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

I am blown away by the skill and effort that is put into digging in to these devices and practically reverse engineering the machine code to make this stuff possible. I am amazed, impressed, and very grateful.

Anyway, now that I've made it impossible to unlock my bootloader by being late to the game, is there a way to take more full advantage of having root without also having an unlocked bootloader? For example, is it possible to flash alternate recoveries or custom ROMs with a locked bootloader?

• kyle1329, moodaddy and scjpoly like this

#10 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Recovery, no - ROMs -  Yes.   Using SafeStrap, you will be able to rom - there are several here in the older rom threads that are designed for safestrap.  Staff here is currently working on creating a ROM section specifically for locked devices so there is less confusion.

• jakeepooh likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#11 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

You can safely ignore the superuser error on restore.  I left it in just in case and may serve a purpose later down the road.

#12 mangmang

mangmang

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi, Maybe this help for more newbies like myself, to go into AP fast boot Power off phone

Press and hold volume down and 

When the screen flickers release only the power button.

The, when you see the screen with the AP fastboot Flash mode connect the usb cable and run the utility program provided here to down grade

• angelbettt likes this

#13 beergoogles911

beergoogles911

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

I get an error message on the first step. "failed to copy" "permission denied" the file is not being transferred to the phone. no idea why.

#14 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

Do you have an SD card in?

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#15 moodaddy

moodaddy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

THIS ROOT METHOD IS FOR LOCKED XT907 DEVICES THAT TOOK THE 07/13 UPDATES on System Version 98.18.78

The latest updates kill the ability to Root with Motochopper and also block the ability to unlock the bootloader with Motopocalypse.  With this, we can at least get Root restored.  Unlocking the bootloader is no longer an option.

This method does NOT erase data and that is not required for any part of the process.

In order to achieve root once again, we must:

1.  Roll back the system to the previous version using a modified FXZ avoiding the tz flash

2. Take Root with Motochopper

3.  Protect Root

4.  Update once more

5.  Restore root.

Download the Utility 

Extract the Zip file to the root of a drive (This is to ensure proper file locating)

Navigate to the folder and run the SamuriHL_Downgrade.bat

Go through each step and follow the instructions at the prompts.

PROFIT !

In testing, it has ran smoothly, but there also were a couple that had freezing in two areas- the Protect Root and the Restore Root.  This was at the end of either step when the script was waiting for the phone to reboot and it did not recognize that it had.  This is ok, just close the command window, rerun the batch file and continue to the next step.

Credits:

djrbliss for Motochopper

SamuriHL for the batch script

realbbb for the original concept of this particular rollback

& the testers that helped get here.

Hey ya'll..This is exactly what I've been looking for! Quick question though, I'm trying to apply the update in stock recovery, but when I to the point of selecting apply the update from external storage, I don't see the option to select the Blur_Version.zip. All that is available is: ../, DCIM/, Lost.Dir/, data/. Any thoughts? Also, when in recovery the Android has an exclamation like there's an error.

#16 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

The exclamation is normal.

Boot the phone and use something like root explorer or es file explorer to check your SDCARD.  Option 1 is experimental for a reason.  It hardcodes the SDCARD path so if it's different on your phone it won't copy the OTA zip properly.  In that case you have to put it on your SDCARD manually either with ADB or another means.  Some people just throw it in their dropbox and then on the phone export it from dropbox to your SDCARD.  In any case, you need to make sure it's on the SDCARD and the go back into stock recovery and install it.  Once it's installed use the option to restore root then you're done.  You can also pull the SDCARD and throw it on your computer if you have a card reader for it.

#17 moodaddy

moodaddy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

You guys are the real deal!!! I just manually copied over the Blur_Version.zip to the SD and ran it again..Worked like a charm! I don't know how you guys do this stuff, but I'm sure as hell glad you do. Thanks for everything!

• rickw, SamuriHL, livinginkaos and 1 other like this

#18 Freak4Dell

Freak4Dell

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

When I select the downgrade option, it throws an error with something about invalid input (I unfortunately didn't write the error down before I closed it). It opened RSD, and it just says "Connected..." as the status. It's been like this for about 10 minutes. When I click close (the only button that's available to click) it says the application is busy, and closing it may damage the device. Is this normal, or did I mess up on one of the steps?

#19 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Definitely not normal.  Give me the swdl.txt from the rsd directory.

#20 Freak4Dell

Freak4Dell

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Definitely not normal.  Give me the swdl.txt from the rsd directory.

Here you go:

I did go ahead and close RSD, and the phone still boots as normal. It should be noted that sometimes, the utility just fails to load RSD Lite at all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ROOT FIX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users