17 replies to this topic

#1 KIRA-isJUSTICE

KIRA-isJUSTICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

THANKS TO DFCISNEROS AND SKIWONG20, THIS HAS BEEN SOLVED! There is a mod, flashable, that allows you to swap your external so the system reads it as your primary, and your primary as the external. This mod worked 100% on ICS. Our devs here are amazing, and I'm grateful for their work :)

Sent from my DeathSCYTHE..

I'll see you in hell.. where the devil knows my name...

#2 JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

This has been done on XDA. There is a mod, flashable, that allows you to swap your external so the system reads it as your primary, and your primary as the external. This mod worked 100% on GB, but upon installing on ICS, it will tell you "sd card not mounted or has been removed". There is no way to alter this through recovery, or any root attempt... so here is my request.. can any dev out there take this on for ICS? it is an amazing feature giving you more room on your device! Our devs here are amazing, and I'm hoping someone can take this on :) thanks everyone for all your hard work!

I actually read about this myself and was rather intrigued. I have also read that doing so greatly reduces the life of the sd card which you would have to factor into the risk/benefit/cost ratio. The same was also said about just running applications off an sd card. Something about the cards not being built for long periods of continued data transfer I don't quite remember the specifics. Perhaps one of the devs tempted to tackle this particular challenge may shed some light for less knowledgeable individuals such as myself. I was extremely drawn to this idea until I read that. So hopefully some doubts may either be quelled, or solidified into final justification for scrapping the original notion.

#3 dfcisneros

dfcisneros

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

This is very easy to do and only takes a minute even for a noob. You have to be rooted.

Using a file explorer navigate to system/etc and select the file vold.fstab and open in text editor

Scroll down until you see the line
"# external sd card"
Under that change the line
dev_mount sdcard-ext /mnt/sdcard-ext:
To:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard:

Now one more change under
"# internal eMMC"
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard::
To:
dev_mount sdcard-ext /mnt/sdcard-ext::

Make sure you have a backup of the original file, save and restart.

#4 KIRA-isJUSTICE

KIRA-isJUSTICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

You're awesome man! Does this work on ICS though?

#5 dfcisneros

dfcisneros

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

Thank's

Yes I have done it since I bough the phone with every OS I am on .209 right now.

#6 trimax84

trimax84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

This will basically switch how the phone sees internal vs external SD card right?
So I applied this and should set the camera to save to my "internal" SD card if I want the pictures to be on my removable storage (which is actually my 16 GB 'external' mini SD card), right?

And when I am opening folders in Solid Explorer, the one labelled "sdcard" is really my removable one and "sdcard-ext" is the internal memory, correct?

Don't want to delete the wrong things from the wrong places....

#7 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

So if one does this they need to change where titanium back up backs up all their stuff because now it will be putting it on internal memory as opposed to the sd card? Is that right?

Sent from my who really cares?? Using NOBODY DOES!

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#8 CaptainKn0tz

CaptainKn0tz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

This is very easy to do and only takes a minute even for a noob. You have to be rooted.

Using a file explorer navigate to system/etc and select the file vold.fstab and open in text editor

Scroll down until you see the line
"# external sd card"
Under that change the line
dev_mount sdcard-ext /mnt/sdcard-ext:
To:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard:

Now one more change under
"# internal eMMC"
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard::
To:
dev_mount sdcard-ext /mnt/sdcard-ext::

Make sure you have a backup of the original file, save and restart.

How the heck have I never seen this posted?? Awesome trick! Any way to have sd-ext WITHIIN the SD card?

~Sent from my Droid [R]

#9 skiwong20

skiwong20

Developer

• Developer
  • 172 posts
  • LocationFairfield

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:51 AM

Here is. I had the sdcard switch out last week in my MIUI thread. It ia for all ICS leaks. It will make ext.sdcard primary

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Lets the sun and the moon collide! eclipserom.com

#10 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

Does this still require you to eject and re-insert your external SSD card when you reboot on the RAZR?

Thanks!

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#11 KIRA-isJUSTICE

KIRA-isJUSTICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

Does this still require you to eject and re-insert your external SSD card when you reboot on the RAZR?

Thanks!

Nope

#12 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

Okay, you definitely don't have to eject the external SD card on a reboot, but I did notice that I keep getting an "low space" warning for the internal memory. I had read elsewhere that the internal memory was inaccessible when you swap the two. It didn't appear as if the internal memory was not accessible, but what about the low space warnings for it? Does anyone have any idea on how to fix that?

Thanks!

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#13 KIRA-isJUSTICE

KIRA-isJUSTICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Okay, you definitely don't have to eject the external SD card on a reboot, but I did notice that I keep getting an "low space" warning for the internal memory. I had read elsewhere that the internal memory was inaccessible when you swap the two. It didn't appear as if the internal memory was not accessible, but what about the low space warnings for it? Does anyone have any idea on how to fix that?

Thanks!

Depends.. what OS are you running? How big is your SD card? It switches the system read files for the SD cards, so technically it's telling you your "removable" one is low on storage, being that it is now your "internal" storage

#14 shorte_33

shorte_33

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

But when you wipe data and such withint safestrap, does it wipe all your pictures and everything by doing this mod? like if you have all your pics and everything already on your mini sd, and then you do this switch, when you wipe cache, data, and delvic when installing a new rom, would it wipe everything off your mini sd?

#15 KIRA-isJUSTICE

KIRA-isJUSTICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

But when you wipe data and such withint safestrap, does it wipe all your pictures and everything by doing this mod? like if you have all your pics and everything already on your mini sd, and then you do this switch, when you wipe cache, data, and delvic when installing a new rom, would it wipe everything off your mini sd?

no.. if you are putting a new rom, install as normal.

Wipe data/cache/dalvik
Flash your rom
Flash gapps if needed
Reboot
Let it settle
Then reboot to recovery
Wipe ONLY cache/dalvik
Flash mod
PROFIT

it will NOT wipe any sd cards, just switch them around
For example, my 32 sd mini is now my "internal storage"

Hope that helps!

#16 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:38 AM

I have gone back to the default where my external sd card is mounted to /sdcard-ext. Reason being is I had a 32gb class 10 card that lasted just over a year. I had used it as the primary sdcard (mounted to /sdcard) and after about a year of use, I started getting random errors, lost files, etc. I reformatted the card and within a day or two, I noticed read and write errors, etc.

I've determined that the card was finally bad due to the high amount of writing that was occurring on it, so after purchasing a new 32gb SD card, I have decided to just use it to mainly hold my music and pictures only. Therefore, the writing to the card has be dramatically decreased (as opposed to using it to store app and game settings/files on it) and should hopefully allow it to last longer. Reading doesn't decrease the life of an SD card. It's the constant writing to it.

2cqd4t2.png

#17 Rom Breaker

Rom Breaker

Rom Breaker

• Developer
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:@RomBreaker
  • Google+:rombreaker@gmail.com
  • LocationLansing,MI

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Something about the cards not being built for long periods of continued data transfer I don't quite remember the specifics.

Whoever figures out how to, will be a genius.

#18 studiorat

studiorat

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):Jelly Wizzed JB Droid Maxx

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Is this a ROM specific fix or will it be in done on the next flashing ..? Or is it a permanent mod?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
Offending The Masses since 1967.........FTW........Christianity is a Farse!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users