Photo

Favorite Custom ROM for Razr Maxx HD xt926

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Custom ROM for Razr Maxx HD xt926 (72 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favorite custom ROM?

1. Cyanogenmod (22 votes [30.56%])

Percentage of vote: 30.56%

2. ParanoidAndroid (2 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

3. RageHD (15 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

4. BlurryHD (6 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

5. Carbon (8 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

6. LiquidSmooth (3 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

7. Other, please list in the replies (16 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 slait

slait

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

As a newbie to the custom ROM world I'm looking for something that can help improve performance over stock, add some nifty features, and remove the carrier bloatware. Also might be nice if the ROM featured the latest 4.3 Android. Thoughts?

#2 slait

slait

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Any comments for those expressing a favorite are welcome as well. As I said, I'm a newbie to this stuff and am really just trying to take in as much information as I can before trying anything. Any concerns with compatibility to third party applications? Any issues with basic functions having problems or bugs? Etc...

Also, can I even install a custom ROM on a XT926 device that I do not have an unlocked bootloader and running 9.18.79?

Thanks!

#3 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Your only option currently for the XT926 on 9.18.79 is SafeStrap as you are no longer able to unlock.  Development for SafeStrapable roms has pretty much halted since the unlock became available.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#4 slait

slait

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Are there any ROMs available for my device then using this SafeStrap method?

#5 jl90

jl90

\m/

• Developer
  • 1,642 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az.
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 64GB, RAZR HD Maxx

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Are there any ROMs available for my device then using this SafeStrap method?

RageHD works with safestrap. :) check out the next to last page in the thread.

#6 slait

slait

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Thank you! I am also seeing that perhaps Nexesque has a SafeStrap version as well? Any thoughts between the two?

#7 fxwrangler

fxwrangler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thank you! I am also seeing that perhaps Nexesque has a SafeStrap version as well? Any thoughts between the two?

#8 fxwrangler

fxwrangler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

I love Nexesque. Its fast, debloated, and keeps the awesome battery life of this phone. I've ran about all the Roms u can get for this phone and really appreciate what every developer has contributed. That being said, the 4.1.2 just jellybean roms seems to do the best for me. Sure it doesn't have All the bells and whistles, But it just works! By the way I currently am using Nexesque on an unlocked boot loader.

#9 bjoostema1933

bjoostema1933

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD Maxx /Nexus 7

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

They are all awesome in there own ways buy I'm currently content on Slimbean official 8 build. With the audio codec tweaks, absolutely everything is working flawlessly.

#10 slait

slait

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

They are all awesome in there own ways buy I'm currently content on Slimbean official 8 build. With the audio codec tweaks, absolutely everything is working flawlessly.

Is it SafeStrap compatible?

#11 bjoostema1933

bjoostema1933

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

Is it SafeStrap compatible?

Unfortunately not buddy.  I think only the blur-based are.  I'm fairly certain that anything 4.2 and on requires an unlocked bootloader because they use a different kernel. 

#12 patlanta

patlanta

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

I'm rooted on system 9.16.6 , android ver 4.1.2, kernel 3.0.31-g101. ....

Being a newbie as well , I'm having a hard time understanding if my phone took the OTA patch that fixed the boot loader exploit or not. I just picked this up off eBay and don't know the phones history. I'd love to unlock the boot loader and am not sure if its failing because of user error or because of my phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

#13 bjoostema1933

bjoostema1933

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

If you are on 9.16, you can unlock the bootloader.  It's 9.18 and 9.20 that patched the exploit.  Here's the utility buddy-

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

.  It's all pretty self explanatory :)

If you need any help with anything man, just hit me up! Good luck and enjoy the world of awesome ROMs available to you!

#14 bjoostema1933

bjoostema1933

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Being a newbie as well , I'm having a hard time understanding if my phone took the OTA patch that fixed the boot loader exploit or not. I just picked this up off eBay and don't know the phones history. I'd love to unlock the boot loader and am not sure if its failing because of user error or because of my phone.

Are you using the Matt's utility?  And if so, where is it failing?

#15 patlanta

patlanta

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Are you using the Matt's utility?  And if so, where is it failing?

I'm using the Motopacalypse bat file from Dan Rosenberg ... here is what happens when I run it:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#16 bjoostema1933

bjoostema1933

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Hmmmm, I don't know why the exploit is pushing successfully.  I'm not as learned as I would like to be regarding the deeply technical aspects.  I threw up a link for Matt's utility a couple posts back.  I would give that a shot.  I used to original motolocalypse when I unlocked mine, but it was so long ago that I have forgotten the details.  If you don't mind, try it with the utility.  I don't see why that wouldn't work.  It is option 3 in the utility, the instructions are in the command window once you get it set up.  Please let me know if that works.  We'll figure this out man :)

#17 patlanta

patlanta

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Learned or not, I certainly appreciate your efforts trying ...  I was so excited when the phone came,  but then was feeling pretty deflated when I read that they placed a patch up that disabled the bootloader exploit.  I had an OG razr maxx before that went swimming in a lake and needed replacement.  Since I have an unlimited dataplan grand-fathered under VZW I don't want to renew my contract for the "new every 2" upgrade because I will lose my free uncapped data.  As a result,  I thought I'd get a newer version of the phone I had because I loved the battery life and the phone in general.   Even though the developers have all fled,  the roms that do exist I want to be able to actually install which is why this bootloader is important to me!

So I tried out Matt's utility , but before doing any of this I had switched back into the normal rom slot as I read in some of the threads that other people installed off the base slot.

I believe that Option 3 is Motochopper which is just a root I thought...  I'm thinking you were meaning option 4.    Regardless,  I just tried that then went to option 4 for unlocking the bootloader.   This app evidently pushes an apk to my phone to install it so I then opened the app and clicked "unlock bootloader" ,  granted it SU permissions,  then rebooted as it said to do.  

I just went into the "about phone" screen and see it now says my system is 9.18.79 which leads me to the conclusion that the 9.16.6 that I had previously seen was only from the rom I was running (Eclipse-RazrHD-v1.3-052013.zip).  So I guess that's the question I will ask you and this board,  does the ROM you have loaded change your system version?  I'm assuming that since my base rom is showing 9.18 that I'm SOL.

If that's the case,  why can't a non OTA file be flashed to send me back to 9.16?

#18 bjoostema1933

bjoostema1933

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Glad totry and help man.  You're right about the utility, I definitely meant option 4! I didn't know that your stock ROM was 9.18, which really sucks because the bootloader can't be unlocked right now.  I hate it for you man, I wish Verizon would focus the energy they put into locking down their devices towards pushing actual firmware updates.  Well...there is a plus side to this, and that is that there are a few really good stock based ROMs out there that work with safestrap.  There is one I personally recommend called Nexesque.  I just checked and it appears to be safestrap compatible.  It's about as close to AOSP as can be done without actually being AOSP.  If you wanted the quick settings of 4.2+, there is an app called Antek Quicksetings in the play store.  With that app on that ROM, you essentially have all the bells and whistles of AOSP, minus some of the under the hood stuff.  Regarding downgrading to 9.16 to unlock the bootloader, I'm 99% positive it can't be done.  I will ask a couple of way more knowledgeable folks about it and try and find out the specific reasons.  For what it's worth, even with all the nice ROMs out there, I find myself going back to Nexesque rather frequently...it's that well done in my opinion.  Also, RageHD, Blurry and perhaps some more I am unaware of are safestrap options.  All really cool ROM's in their own ways.

#19 bjoostema1933

bjoostema1933

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

And yeah, hold on to that unlimited data man!  It's like gold these days haha

• cmorty72 likes this

#20 bytethegroove

bytethegroove

#HappyEnding

• Superuser
  • 158 posts
  • Google+:bytethegroove
  • LocationBerwyn, IL
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr HD

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

Unlimted data is 3g....your 4g gets throttled.....id rather have full 4g....besides if u need more than 4-6gb of data...im going to tell you to put your phone down and go out more!
Byte

I'm as honest as the day is long, The longer the daylight then less I do wrong!

My MIUI v4/v5 ICS/JB photon/electrify/ and now Razr HD offerings http://bytethegroove.com/PublicDL/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users