• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

I used a guide from XDA and DroidForums, called Verizon 8 times today and now I have unlimited data. posting the guide as an edit when I get back to my computer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Use the plan code if you have to... I didn't though.
plan code #76153

EDIT:
Source:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

How To: Unlimited Data

There's a thread going on at XDA with this info, but I thought I'd post it over here to spread the word before Big Red shuts this down.

**To be clear, this is not a hack, cheat, or anything like. This is completely legitimate. Old school folks might even say this is too legit to quit.**

Many of us are not blessed with a grandfathered, unlimited 4G plan. I used to have one, then I left Verizon for a short while and came back with their $30/month 4GB promotion. Here's how to get back on that oh-so-sweet unlimited gravy train.

1. Call Verizon (*611)

2. Select the option to add a feature (I think it's #4)

3. Ask for the unlimited 4G hotspot

4. If you like, cancel the hotspot

5. Profit

In order for them to add the promotional, unlimited hotspot for 4G phones, you have to have an unlimited plan. Some of their technicians will refuse you this, but others will add unlimited 4G to your regular plan and then add the hotspot. If you cancel the hotspot, you ought to be able to keep your 4G unlimited on your RAZR (cancel it manually online; not through a customer service rep).

Took me three tries to find a tech who would do it for me. I was going to cancel the hotspot, but unlimited 4G for $30/month has me thinking I'll just cancel Comcast instead! Also, the unlimited 4G for the phone itself is $29.99, so that's awesome in its own right.

Give it a go, you poor saps without unlimited.

Source:

I saw this in the Bionic general forum and tried it today. I recently re-joined Verizon for the RAZR and wasn't happy about the cap. After 5min on the phone I now have unlimited data.

Here's how it works:

Dial *611 to get CS.

Press 4 for 'Other'

Say "Add a feature"

Ask for 4G Unlimited hotspot with the CSR. If that doesn't work, ask for the regular 4G hotspot, then ask when they're adding it if there's an option for 'Unlimited'

This requires them to upgrade your line to unlimited data. After I got off the phone, I removed the hotspot from my account online and the unlimited data remains both on the My Verizon widget, and on my account page. When you go to remove the hotspot, it even tells you that you're removing the hotspot but the remaining features include Unlimited Data.

Some people in the Bionic forum took several calls to get to someone cooperative. My CSR, on the first go, added it without explicitly announcing she upgraded my line to unlimited, so I asked her and she confirmed.

Source:

I was in the Droid Bionic forum and came across this ( thanks jesziicuh) . It totally works I did it on my wife's line. If you have tired data, call *611, option 4, say add a feature, talk to a representative and add unlimited 4g hot spot to your tiered data line. They upgrade your data to unlimited to accommodate the unlimited hotspot. Then log into you verizonwireless account. Go to the row where it says plan. Then click on change features. Pick your phone you just upgraded, then scroll down and remove unlimited 4g hotspot. Worked like a charm!!! My wife's data tracker on her phone now says unlimited!!!! Got to love loop holes!Posted Image

Edit: This might actually take several attempts to accomplish. I have heard some people have tried upwards of 5 times before actually receiving unlimited data.

Edit2: Thanks to nomisunrider we have the actual plan code the verizon rep uses to add 4g unlimited MHS. plan code #76153 — $30 Unlimited 4G Mobile Hotspot. I would still ask for the 4g unlimited MHS first and if they give you trouble tell them you were told the plan code is 76153. Hope this helps and cuts down on the amount of calls some people have to make.

[/indent]

EDIT:

who took the 4G Mobile Hotspot off their account moved to the next billing cycle without having their unlimited data removed.

Attached Files

Edited by mattlgroff, 26 December 2011 - 07:58 AM.

• nix80908 and cynnar like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Twitter:nix80908
  • LocationDenver, CO - USA

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Holy Hell! It actually works! :D I got it on the first try with Verizon. The rep was actually a little surprised.

Although, I think for this price, I'm keeping the Mobile Hotspot - may as well, right?

Thank you SOOOO much for pointing out that tip! Saved me money and got me unlimited data! ^_^
  • mattlgroff likes this

#3 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

Holy Hell! It actually works! :D I got it on the first try with Verizon. The rep was actually a little surprised.

Although, I think for this price, I'm keeping the Mobile Hotspot - may as well, right?

Thank you SOOOO much for pointing out that tip! Saved me money and got me unlimited data! ^_^

I was so happy when mine worked too! I am keeping the hotspot, its great especially after the OTA.
  • nix80908 likes this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#4 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

Not only that, but you'd have to pay more just to get any plan with MHS -- the guy originally told me it was $30 on top of my current data, and was surprised when it replaced the data plan!

#5 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

Not only that, but you'd have to pay more just to get any plan with MHS -- the guy originally told me it was $30 on top of my current data, and was surprised when it replaced the data plan!

It is 29.99 for unlimited data and 30 for 4G Mobile hotspot feature. Its $59.99 total. Its been unclear of wether removing the hotspot feature will remove unlimited data, but according to the Verizon mobile website you can remove the feature and keep it. Depends on if Verizon decides to remove it from you after that. I am keeping both.
  • nix80908 likes this

#6 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

That explains the extra $25 I couldn't account for on my bill.
My job gives me a 17% discount - so it ends up being 24.90 for me instead of 29.99.

I'm going to test removing the hotspot (if I mess up, I'm sure I can call and undo it lol) ... since I'm a rooted user, I can just use the hotspot exploit with SQLite and activate it that way. I was doing it with the 10GB plan anyway.

UPDATE - Yeah, it let me take off the MHS feature! ^_^ makes my bill like $75 total. I'm happy with that!

Edited by nix80908, 24 December 2011 - 11:24 PM.

• mattlgroff likes this

#7 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

I will add this to the OP...

who took the 4G Mobile Hotspot off their account moved to the next billing cycle without having their unlimited data removed.

#8 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hahaha thanks Matt, got it first time. The lady was talking like it was any other normal transaction.

I wonder how long it will take for them to catch on...

:-D :-D

#9 Baloot89

Baloot89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

Can anyone confirm if this still works?

#10 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Hahaha thanks Matt, got it first time. The lady was talking like it was any other normal transaction.

I wonder how long it will take for them to catch on...

Given, I am on a business plan and work with a non-standard rep, but when I got my Razr I just told my rep I wanted unlmited data and he gave it to me for $20/month. Obviously not everyone has a business plan with higher level reps, but I figured I would mention this to point out that their system still allows signing up for unlmited. When I swung into a store to check the Razr out while I waited for mine to be shipped, the rep there tried to tell me that it wasn't even possible to sign up for unlmited anymore and that the system didn't even allow it by override. That is obviously not true though since I had done so earlier that same day. Our account does have two hotspots on it for sales reps to snag when they need on the go, but neither is unlimited.

I guess what I'm kind of getting at, is that their system likely does not throw up red flags for upgrading to unlimited, because it is still available if you have the right accounts.

#11 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

Uh yeah, in my post right above yours I reported that I did it yesterday and it worked flawlessly.

Given, I am on a business plan and work with a non-standard rep, but when I got my Razr I just told my rep I wanted unlmited data and he gave it to me for $20/month. Obviously not everyone has a business plan with higher level reps, but I figured I would mention this to point out that their system still allows signing up for unlmited. When I swung into a store to check the Razr out while I waited for mine to be shipped, the rep there tried to tell me that it wasn't even possible to sign up for unlmited anymore and that the system didn't even allow it by override. That is obviously not true though since I had done so earlier that same day. Our account does have two hotspots on it for sales reps to snag when they need on the go, but neither is unlimited.

I guess what I'm kind of getting at, is that their system likely does not throw up red flags for upgrading to unlimited, because it is still available if you have the right accounts.

That makes perfect sense, but what I am talking about is them catching on to 1) the glitch in their system allowing the upgraded data allowance to stay after a cancellation (I assume the reason it works is because it takes two different actions by the TS agent to complete; adding unlimited data THEN adding the hotspot. So their computer system does not have the two connected).

And 2) this post has made it's way around the internet in a very open way. Suprised they haven't caught on yet (or maybe they just don't care, because they're eventually going to have to offer unlimited anyways :P).

#12 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

I don't think the promotion is ending anytime soon. Just have to keep trying. They lied to me in one of the calls and said it was possible

#13 DarkestSpawn

DarkestSpawn

Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

As far as I read, Verizon is undoing this to those that have done it. Ill get the link to the news article here shortly

Edit: I seen it at Droid-Life

-Beta Mod-
-Grand Master of the Testing-

Posted Image

#14 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

As far as I read, Verizon is undoing this to those that have done it. Ill get the link to the news article here shortly

Edit: I seen it at Droid-Life

I'll let you know how it goes. If I get downgraded after it's already been a billing cycle I'd be surprised..

#15 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

"I checked my account online and indeed it was unlimited," he tells Consumerist. "But less then 45mins later a "Audit Team" from Verizon called to inform me that they correct the error and took away my unlimited data."

This is a recent caller.

#16 Baloot89

Baloot89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Ahhh looks like they are starting to catch on thanks for the info Matt and Dark very informational

#17 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

I still have unlimited - ^_^ it'll probably stay that way.

#18 tracerfett

tracerfett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

Well I had it for a short period of time... Just called and added by requesting it using the code above. She successfully added it to my account and I could see it reflected in the data portion of my verizonwireless.com account. However I jumped over to the extra features section, and there wasn't anything listed for the hotspot... I looked on my phone and it still showed the 4gb data. so i rebooted to see if it would update after that. Shortly after powering back up, i had received the following text: "

FREE VZW MSG-DO NOT REPLY: Feature change request confirmation. unlimited hotspot removed acccount does not qualify you can add 2gb of hotspot for ¤20.00"

I then logged back into my account online, and verified that the unlimited data had been removed...

Tried calling back a couple more times, but I guess the rep had added notes to my account making it impossible to get this feature added back.

#19 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

I still have mine, praying it'll stay that way. Haven't hit my first billing cycle yet though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#20 tracerfett

tracerfett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:29 AM

Update:

I tried again a few hours later asking for the "Unlimited 4g wireless hotspot service." The kind rep added it without question. I immediately removed the hotspot after it was added and still have the unlimited data plan active on my account (also reflected by the data manager widget on my phone).

So far so good, lets hope they don't catch on again. My next billing cycle starts in a day or two... I'll post again with an update if anything changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users