#21 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

I will add also. If anyone ever gets jerked around by Moto or VZW pertaining to warranty the proper authority to file a complaint with is the FTC, and they are the department charged with monitoring complains of dishonest warranty practices and businesses trying to take advantage of their customers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#22 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

I just wanted to add that just because the Magnuson Moss warranty act is a law, doesn't mean a manufacturer will help you and comply. It just means you have a little ammo if to get through court and by the time there's lawyer fees and court costs, you'll be way over budget.

Go into an dealership service dept and mention the MM act and they will laugh at you.

#23 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

I will add also. If anyone ever gets jerked around by Moto or VZW pertaining to warranty the proper authority to file a complaint with is the FTC, and they are the department charged with monitoring complains of dishonest warranty practices and businesses trying to take advantage of their customers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Indeed. I had PayPal try to jerk me off once about something and I when I mentioned calling their State's AG and the FTC....let's just say they came around to my way of thinking....and quickly ;)
  • DarkOverDroid likes this

#24 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

If your modified software causes a hardware problem you're still not covered. Your explanation is situational and rather bland even though it is lengthy. In MOST cases for our user base here and elsewhere in the modding community it will be situations like the following:

1) Failed flash/ROM install/etc resulting in brick - Invalid Claim
2) Using Root access to non-default system "tweaks" phone overheats, batt sucks etc - Invalid Claim
3) Speaker volume alteration other than system defaults blow the speaker - Invalid Claim
4) Bad kernel causes hardware failures in XYZ system - Invalid Claim

The list could go on forever. There are many things that we do to the system that could result in a hardware problem that would not otherwise exist without our tampering. You're correct in saying that your warranty is not VOID. However, almost all of our user base would be trying to register a warranty claim for a repair that SHOULD NOT be covered. This is even true for unreleased official moto test software. If they discover a problem that could lead to hardware issues they won't release that update. Since that update was never intended for the masses any related issues (hardware or software) would also not be covered. Again, I don't disagree with some of your statements and I'm not saying that you're wrong. I just want to clarify so that people don't get confused and think they have coverage when they really do not.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#25 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

If your modified software causes a hardware problem you're still not covered. Your explanation is situational and rather bland even though it is lengthy. In MOST cases for our user base here and elsewhere in the modding community it will be situations like the following:

1) Failed flash/ROM install/etc resulting in brick - Invalid Claim
2) Using Root access to non-default system "tweaks" phone overheats, batt sucks etc - Invalid Claim
3) Speaker volume alteration other than system defaults blow the speaker - Invalid Claim
4) Bad kernel causes hardware failures in XYZ system - Invalid Claim

The list could go on forever. There are many things that we do to the system that could result in a hardware problem that would not otherwise exist without our tampering. You're correct in saying that your warranty is not VOID. However, almost all of our user base would be trying to register a warranty claim for a repair that SHOULD NOT be covered. This is even true for unreleased official moto test software. If they discover a problem that could lead to hardware issues they won't release that update. Since that update was never intended for the masses any related issues (hardware or software) would also not be covered. Again, I don't disagree with some of your statements and I'm not saying that you're wrong. I just want to clarify so that people don't get confused and think they have coverage when they really do not.

You are correct 100%. However I will add 2 things. 1- It's Motorola's responsibility alone to police their warranty claims, not anyone else. 2- The burden of proof is on Motorola. According to the law, if they feel the damage is because of something the end user caused it is they who have to prove it.

These laws were written because companies were getting very crafty with legalese in warranties and certain products were released with very poor coverage and the public was left with little or no protection. I mean honestly, if I supercharge my car and my power windows break, why the hell shouldn't Ford have to repair my car under warranty?

The main basic point that I personally am trying to make is that there is no such thing as a "voided warranty". The only people who have voided warranty's are Santa and the Easter Bunny. There's only denied claims with cause. That's the short version.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#26 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

I updated the OP with a great video a few other users pointed out from XDA-TV about this issue. Very informative also

#27 GoBears

GoBears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, try and take a jailbroken iPhone into an Apple store claiming your warranty is still valid due to Magnuson–Moss. No matter what the issue is they'll show you the door along with your borked iDevice.
"Remember, friends don't let friends use IOS."

#28 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, try and take a jailbroken iPhone into an Apple store claiming your warranty is still valid due to Magnuson–Moss. No matter what the issue is they'll show you the door along with your borked iDevice.

I did this just a few weeks ago. My exwife has the Apple Care + on her iphone 4s. She accidentally dropped it in the bathtub while giving my daughters a bath. (for those who don't know, apple care plus covers submersion). Anyway, she went into the Apple Store to get her replacement and they refused to replace her phone because of the fact that it had a 3rd party front screen on it (of course it did, it's an iphone, if you cough on it the glass cracks so we replaced it).

Anyway, after called Apple and asking the to show me where in the Apple Care Plus + warranty that they could refuse replacing the phone because of a 3rd party screen (and don't get me wrong, they tried..they sent me to 3 different depts up to the legal dept). Anyway, after showing them they were wrong, we had our new phone lickety split.

Just because they try to defraud YOU and get away with it doesn't make it right or make it law. I know the law and my rights. Don't let anyone fool you.

#29 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Problem with this is that when you get VZW involved, like this:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Then it becomes problematic.

#30 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

Problem with this is that when you get VZW involved, like this:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Then it becomes problematic.

You should probably go back and read the update on your own link.

#31 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Lots of new members never saw this great thread and I feel, its time it be stickied so everyone can finally be informed. Knowledge is power.

#32 cynnar

cynnar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for this tucstwo. It clears some things up for everyone.

Question though (and I think I know the answer).

Say I have my razr for 6 months when the power button falls out. Say the phone has not been rooted for sake of arguments. Moto decides to ship me another phone. It is a refurbished phone. Does this just continue the warranty where your old one left off? What about if it was replaced with a new one?

I've never filed a warranty claim since i got my First phone back in 1995. I've only had to do 3 insurance claims, and those were before smartphone.

What about the policies insurance companies have on rooted. / rommed phones?
That would make another good topic.

Again Thanks for this info.
I tend to question things I disbelieve are true. Some people cannot handle that. Sorry if you are one of those people.

#33 RazrSharpJoel

RazrSharpJoel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for this tucstwo. It clears some things up for everyone.

Question though (and I think I know the answer).

Say I have my razr for 6 months when the power button falls out. Say the phone has not been rooted for sake of arguments. Moto decides to ship me another phone. It is a refurbished phone. Does this just continue the warranty where your old one left off? What about if it was replaced with a new one?

I've never filed a warranty claim since i got my First phone back in 1995. I've only had to do 3 insurance claims, and those were before smartphone.

What about the policies insurance companies have on rooted. / rommed phones?
That would make another good topic.

Again Thanks for this info.

Your warranty on the replacement is for 90 days or the remainder of the original one year warranty, whichever is greater.

Sent from ROOTED STOCK SANDWICH CREAM ICE MAXX RAZR

#34 Trylek09

Trylek09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUSA - East Coast
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Here is what I don't get. WHY are people so concerned with the manufacture's warranty....Verizon (CDMA Razr's) gives you a 1 year warranty through the manufacture. Even if rooting is the reason your phone is messed up, you can still call them up and tell them "my phone won't turn on" (but not say that it's because its bricked) and they will still replace the phone. When they get the broken phone, they make sure there is no physical or water damage and then flash restore it... they don't even look/care if it's rooted once they get it in their hands.

#35 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Here is what I don't get. WHY are people so concerned with the manufacture's warranty....Verizon (CDMA Razr's) gives you a 1 year warranty through the manufacture. Even if rooting is the reason your phone is messed up, you can still call them up and tell them "my phone won't turn on" (but not say that it's because its bricked) and they will still replace the phone. When they get the broken phone, they make sure there is no physical or water damage and then flash restore it... they don't even look/care if it's rooted once they get it in their hands.

Because some people feel that's an unethical practice. It's circumventing the agreement. Just like they owe you the respect to honor your warranty, you owe them the respect to not make them pay for your mistakes. I personally don't feel bad for VZR or Moto, I think I've paid them both enough over the years but it all depends on how honorable you are I guess. It's a judgement call only you can make.
  • soocold likes this

#36 kurkosky1989

kurkosky1989

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:55 AM

First off...... If you are smart enough and you understand what rooting is you would know you can fully restore settings back to factory before sending it back to avoid any fuss and drama or to get charged. People that root there phones just because....... should do more research about rooting and what it does before taking that route, because if you dont not know what you are doing it can be hell for some people espically for beginners that try to tweak there phones and remove apps and other hacks etc. Rooting can be very useful for people that know what they are doing.

#37 rup1mp1n

rup1mp1n

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

SORRY MIGHT BE STUPID QUESTION,
I have a brand new razzr max ,it is the 14th phone sent to me by iether verizon or motorola..the first few were incredibles,them upgraded me to droid 2,and 3 finally 3 bionics later,and now 3 razrs ,this is where i am .they have admitted there fault on faulty phones ,at 1 point i had 4 phones that would not change off the world phone symbol,and that was directly out of the box ,/i told them send me a cell that works or none of these come back they have upgraded me up until now. I noLONGER HAVE A VERIZON ACCOUNT,(got sick and tired trying to work out why i shouldn't have to pay for there crap problems)So no verizon contract but my brand new razzr maxx got bricked from a OTA update or something.I cant boot into recovery ,fastboot doesn'twork ,nothing ,because the phone wont keep anyth1ngcharge at all.BUT WHEN PLUGGED IN YOU CAN GO INTO RECOVERY AND SEE THE ....1/1 IN THE BOTTOMleft corner which means they will know i have rooted it ,and it it is currently rooted,nut like i said not plugged in and the phone wont turn on,You think i Have nothing to worry bout ,should i just send it in

any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks rup1mp1n@gmail.com

#38 kurkosky1989

kurkosky1989

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

you need to make yourself a factory cable you can find instructions on droidrazrroot.com connect pin 1 and pin 4 together and it will charge the device the main usb cable they send with the phone is not capable.of doing this

#39 orateam

orateam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

I don't think it's been said, so i'll say it. You have an implied warranty no matter what, it's called perpetual billing.

When you pay monthly to a company for a service, they budget a certain amount for customer retention. Back in the days when smart phones started up, I had a hard time holding these candy bar shaped phones and dropped and broke quite a few. ATT sent me replacements each time.

*When my home alarm system started showing errors, I called ADP and they said it will cost you $xxx to come out to your house to look at the problem. I told them, thank you but please disconnect my service. They sent someone out free to come out and fix it.

*I was cutting grass and cut the cable line, the cable company said $100 to come out and fix it. I told them I'm putting up satellite. They came out free to fix it.

*I called Verizon, told them i hacked their phone and it's bricked. They said no warranty for that. I said i'm off contract and switching to Tmobile. They sent to me to customer retention which sent me out a new phone.

These were not threats, but reality. I have no patience for companies that are too stupid to do business smartly. I pay verizon monthly to the tune of over $1000 annually. Their cost on the phone is perhaps $150. If they can't do simple math, then they deserve to lose me. Not everyone fights for what they deserve, that's not my problem. If you just bow your heads down and buy a new phone because you feel it's the right thing to do, go ahead. I hope more of you realize you have options and are willing to use them. Nerds unite!

#40 Tubesteak

Tubesteak

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I would just like to share my personal experience with Motorola customer service on 1/15/13 regarding warranties and root for whomever may be interested. My Razr Maxx was running extremely warm and getting terrible battery life after i received the christmas eve update.After explaining the issue to the lady on the phone (I should also go ahead and mention that during this entire conversation i was extremely polite with the customer service rep) she informed me that that update was not ready and pushed by mistake and began taking the necessary information from me to begin a warranty claim. I stopped her for a second and mentioned that my phone was rooted and asked if that was geroing to be a problem. She immediately stopped everything and basically told me that i might as well take my warranty and wipe my a$$ with it because by rooting it was void in its entirety. i said so let me get this straight, a mistake was made and an update that obviously wasnt ready was pushed out and broke my device. but since its rooted your telling me im out of luck? i then asked if i were to unroot and return the device back to its stock firmware if they would then take my device. She checked with a supervisor and confirmed that once the device is rooted the warranty becomes completely null and void. Now mind you i was certain and have in fact since completely fixed the device on my own with the help of this great community here, this was done strictly out of curiousity and as a test which Moto clearly failed. I did not reply to this post to rant or hate on Moto but rather just to share my own experience on this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users