#1 masterskop

masterskop

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hi,

I'm a noob that needs some advice/help.  I have a moto razr xt926.  I just 'unlocked' the phone using motochopper and motopocalypse.  Everything went without a hitch.  I need help in the following areas.  I will make a list of things I want to do, but I need one or several of the members here to point the way with links and/or suggestions.  I need to make a complete 'backup' of my phone and then start using apks (phone software progs) to take advantage of the phone.

Additional phone information:

9.16.6 xt926

razr hd

9.8.1q-62_vqw_mr-2

Here's the list:

# Phone is now unlocked -- has a new 32gb sd card (empty) and following programs are downloaded on to the phone ..

A. toolbox-1.apk <-- this is installed on to the phone (P3's razr toolbox), used to 'freeze' one program already.

B. Safestrap-umts_spyder-3.63 <-- the apk file is on the phone but not installed yet

C. SuperSu < -- this is installed on the phone

D. Tasker <-- full version, installed on phone, but only used once

F.  Razr HD recovery Flasher V6 <-- downloaded, but not installed

1. Need to backup current system <-- on a 'backup', do you need to have a 'locked' phone? And, how do you 'backup' a system?  Where does one keep the 'backup file'  Anything that needs to be done to the phone before the 'backup'?

2.  How does one install modified phone system to the phone?  Where is it stored? How to switch between the 'original' system and another phone system?

3.  Will one's phone number and info get 'lost' or 'undone' by installing another 'system' other than what the carrier put on the phone?

4.  After 'unlocking' a phone, if one were to update to the last OTA, how do I keep my 'unlocked' phone?

Any and all help is appreciated!

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

Well ok.... it seems like I'm having technical difficulties posting :/

HD tappin' .... hillbilly style!!

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#4 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

If youre unlocked you dont want to use Safestrap as that is for Locked bootloaders. You need to get TWRP for your Recovery. You can find links around the forum, the latest Unofficial version is 2.6.3 that djuniah compiled.

As for utilities, its good to have Matts utilities 1.2.1 for the HD and/or SamuriHL's House of Moto.

Flash TWRP, and then from within TWRP you can make the backup and save it (best to put it on external sdcard), then you can wipe and install other ROM's.

As long as you have a backup ROM, you can always restore it. There is no "switch". Its backup, wipe, restore.

As for the updates, once youre unlocked there is no re-locking as a physical fuse was blown inside of the phone.

• johnthehillbilly likes this

#5 masterskop

masterskop

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

cmh714,

Thank you for your response!  As a firs time user of these utilities, it takes me a while to figure things out.  I was able to install twrp and run a complete backup of my system to an external sd card.  So, the next step is to find out what custom rom would be usable on my phone.  Do most custom roms have the basic 'google' apps in them?  Also, I take it that all the phone's important info is on sdcard0, which doesn't get wiped out?

thanks!

#6 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

Most of the ROMs do not come with Gapps anymore due to possible legal issues, so they usually provide a gapps package that you flash right after you flash the rom.

You can find a ton of roms in our forum.

Yes, the phone uses sdcard0 for mos things and TWRP will not wipe that unless you check the box to do so under Advanced I believe,

#7 masterskop

masterskop

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

cmh714,

Yesterday, I copied my twrp backup of my phone to my computer.  So, if anything happens like a bad install of a rom that I choose, I can go back to the original backup.

So, now for me is the next step, installing a new rom.

I have some questions to be answered before installing a new rom.

1. I have read a post this morning about 'CID' -- what is that?  Also, does this need to be backed up first? or, is it already backed up in my 'backup'?

2. Also, I made a folder in the sdcard1(32gig) called Roms, I guess I can store any rom in there that I want, and create each new Rom's backup in seperate folders?

3.  If I use twrp to make a backup, from what I understand, after a new rom install I would have to reinstall twrp and any programs like voodoo, superuser, supersu, and titanium bu, inorder

Also, twrp allows apps that were previously backed up to be installed in the new rom, if the file structure is the same?  That means the rom would be based off of the original OTA, right? 

3. So, if there is nothing else to do with this phone, I need some advice on which rom to choose.  I need a rom that is fast, not too bloated, and pretty cool looking and that it would work with my phone. (razr hd, SV 9.16.6,  AV 4.1.2, kv 3.0.31, bn 9.8.1q-62_vqw_mr-2)  <-- So, I would used either twrp to install the new rom, or use Matt's droid razr he utility 1.21?

I do appreciate your help in this!

#8 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

1. CID is an issue for Foreign GSM phones so not sure what youre reading, but it doesnt appear that you are in a foreign country although youre close :)

2. TWRP makes its own backup folder for all of your backups its the same on the internal "sdcard" and external sdcard /TWRP/Backups/........

3. No. the install is done from within TWRP so TWRP survives. You can reinstall all the apps including Gapps first, or restore with a backup utility like Titanium Backup Pro or Helium.

4. No you dont use Matts utility to install a ROM. Its only for resetting you back to Factory now that you have done everything. Its just handy to have. You do all the flashing of ROM's through TWRP. You put the ROM zip file onto your phone, I use external but either works, and then when you hit Install in TWRP it will let you pick the file.

For a ROM, everyone has different tastes, etc. 4.3 ROM's are the latest thing but some functions may not work. Look through the ROM forum you can read and look at the OP's and decide what works for you. I switch between 3 or 4 different ones, been on Validus13 for the last couple of weeks, was also testing Dirty Unicorn both in our forum. And also like LiquidSmooth and PacMan found elsewhere. 

Other thing, the ROM's all come with root and a Superuser app so you dont need to worry about that.

• shane1 likes this

#9 masterskop

masterskop

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

cmh714,

I've backed up my system twice ... first time yesterday and the second time today with additional apps.  I have decided to try two roms, [ROM] Eclipse Razr HD (Blur)- The Resurrection (7/9/13) -XT926 VZW and Black Widow.98.72.16xt912 <-- after reading on the forums these one should work on the xt926.  If all works well, I'll probably become a rom junkie! 

Thanks for your help!

Well, using twrp to install the eclipse failed.  Software brick follows.  After wiping out the current system, I went on to start the install.  The /system did not mount and the installation got stuck on installing the mod.  I had to 'reboot' and finally got back into recovery.  I finally got the /systme to mount.  So, I restarted the 'install' at that point.  It states that E:twfunc:: copy log can't open destination log  E: Datamanager::output version .. unable to make.  Installing '/external_sd/customroms/eclipse/......checking for md5 file ... skipping md5: no md5 file found.  E: error executing updater binary in zip '/extern Error flashing zip '/ex  blah, blah, blah, ... updating partition details  Installing '/exteranl_sd/ ..... checking for md5 file ... skipping md5 check: no md5 file found ... s

stuck at this point

Update:  Trying a restore atm

restoring 5 partitions

wiping data

wiping data without wiping /data/media  <---- ????? Could this be the problem with the new rom install.....?????

done.

restoring data ....

Update:

Restore worked ... now just got to figure out why the Eclipse rom would not install.  Anyone have any ideas?

#10 dragon

dragon

Puff the Magic Dragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Twitter:foamerman
  • LocationLand of Honalee
  • Current Device(s):Unlocked RAZR MAXX HD retired Bionic, Thunderbolt and OG Droid

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Are you unlocked?? On there site if I were you I would try eclipse V5.1 build6 LOOK at the OP and read it please and reread it. They have 2 different gapps dark and white I liked the dark but my choice. Don't know what ver. of TWRP you are using or if you are but watch do not wipe your external sd if that is where you put the rom at. Again read the OP and reread it. Sorry I'm not trying to be a a$$ but if you read it will keep you out of trouble....  :)

Puff the Magic Dragon

Sent from my Computer using windows 8

#11 masterskop

masterskop

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

dragon,

No, I was trying to use this version of  Eclipse

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I'll go and try the version that you were talking about and go through it step by step...
Thanks

yes, I'm rooted and have an unlocked bootloader

#12 dragon

dragon

Puff the Magic Dragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Current Device(s):Unlocked RAZR MAXX HD retired Bionic, Thunderbolt and OG Droid

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think you will like build6 nitro don't put a lot of crap in his. There are a lot of good ones in here to take your pick good luck and have a lot of fun.. Just don't forget to read the OP and reread it it will keep you out of a lot of trouble believe me it has for me...

Puff the Magic Dragon

#13 masterskop

masterskop

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Finally got the system to format, but the install process is taking a while.  Is this normal for the Eclipse installation to take this long?

Update:  went back to stock. 

restoring 5 partitions

wiping data ....

wiping data without wiping /data/media ....<-- can this be the problem with not being able to install either rom?????

done.

restoring data

So, the only thing that I have had success with today, is the ability to reinstall my backup with twrp.

#14 dragon

dragon

Puff the Magic Dragon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

Well my friend it should not take to long maybe 5 min. to install depending on your phone. Not real sure about the other stuff you did that you posted. What version of TWRP are you using?? Maybe some one else can step in on this.

Puff the Magic Dragon

#15 masterskop

masterskop

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

dragon,

I found a rom that works with my phone.  Xenonhd.  Thanks for  your help!

#16 extide

extide

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Device(s):Atrix 2, Razr Maxx HD

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

Finally got the system to format, but the install process is taking a while.  Is this normal for the Eclipse installation to take this long?

Update:  went back to stock. 

restoring 5 partitions

wiping data ....

wiping data without wiping /data/media ....<-- can this be the problem with not being able to install either rom????? No, this is fine. This is just saying it is NOT erasing your stuff on the internal SDCard

done.

restoring data

So, the only thing that I have had success with today, is the ability to reinstall my backup with twrp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users