Photo

Help! Need to access internal storage with broken screen!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 justchillin5445

justchillin5445

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

Hi All,

I'm new to this site and it seems like a great place to try to get some help.  I recently smashed the screen on my droid razr (it slid out of my pocket at the gym while I was exercising and I ended up dropping a dumbell onto it) and its completely nonfunctional.  Surprisingly the screen does illuminate some strange colors when I push the "wake up" key on the right side of the phone but the screen itself does not respond to any input.  The phone is still somewhat operational as my daily alarm still went off this morning, but I tried calling it from another phone and it went straight to voicemail so the antenna/receiver is likely destroyed.  The phone is neither rooted nor is debugging activated.  When I plug the phone into my laptop (windows 7) only the Motocast drive is detected.  When I've connected my phone to my laptop in the past, I've had to unlock my phone to access the other drives on the device.  I am unable to do this as the screen is completely destroyed.  So is there anyway I can access my phone's internal storage given the preceding circumstances?  If so, PLEASE let me know.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

#2 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA
  • Current Device(s):XT926 Razr Maxx HD, Xoom, Nexus 7 (car install)

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

Do you have the HDMI cable? Do you have access to an HD dock, the one with the USB ports on the back? With both of those items, you could display the screen on your tv and hook up a mouse thru the dock to control the touchscreen. Also plug in a thumb drive and copy your files over. Edit: I have used a bionic hd dock with a broken screened RAZR to do what I described above. Sent from my DROID RAZR w/MAXX conversion using Tapatalk 2

#3 justchillin5445

justchillin5445

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for the prompt response pistacio.  So you're suggesting using an HD dock such as this: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and connecting it to a TV via Micro HDMI - HDMI cable, correct?  Seems possible, my concerns are as follows: 1) will the phone appear on my TV without ANY unlocking of the phone or changing of the phone's settings? 2) assuming the phone's screen does appear on my TV, the code to unlock my phone is a pattern - connecting 4 dots by touch - can this be done using a mouse? 3) how would you recommend connecting the mouse? in the product I included above, it seems as though I'd need a mouse that connects via micro-USB.

Thanks again. 

#4 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

That link is not the hd station dock. I meant one like this (notice USB ports on back):

Although you could definitely find a cheaper one.

Let me experiment with my set up to see if I can simulate your situation.

I'm sure someone here can suggest something that may be a better option than my suggestion...

Sent from my DROID RAZR w/MAXX conversion using Tapatalk 2

#5 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:24 PM

My findings using my wife's bionic hd dock:

Settings- i set a screen lock pattern
Display- unchecked detect HDMI connected (just in case that's how you have it)
I also did not touch the power button, just plugged it into dock:

34.02KB   14 downloads

26.46KB   17 downloads

47.29KB   19 downloads

The cursor is a giant jellybean which is a pain in the rear:

36.85KB   17 downloads

i was able to unlock with mouse. With the jellybean in the position shown below, you will see where it actually clicks on the screen (green circle on lock pattern):

46.81KB   14 downloads

It took a few tries to position the "cursor" in the right location, but hopefully my picture is a good reference.

• neckchop and livinginkaos like this

#6 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Nicely done Pistacio

• neckchop likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#7 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thanks! Just trying to help...

The huge jellybean cursor might be due to the ROM I'm using (eclipse). I could be wrong though.

If you don't have a dock, I think this all could be possible with just the HDMI cable and an OTG cable with USB hub and a mouse hooked up to it. Although, reading thru the interwebs, it seems the RAZR is not OTG friendly without an external power source hooked up to it.

#8 pistacio

pistacio

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationsoutheast MA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

Edit: disregard this single post. Rest of thread is ok

#9 justchillin5445

justchillin5445

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:17 AM

Thank you! I'm gonna give this a shot this weekend.and I'll report back.  Either way, your help is much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users