Photo

Friend gave me his "bricked" Razr HD to attempt to fix.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 PwnFx

PwnFx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

He claims he was flashing a ROM and bricked it, I don't know anything about the device, I just know that I love to tinker with technology.

So here's what it does, if plugged in, the giant green led on the top lights up, and just sits there with the screen black.

I've tried vol + / - & power button attempting to get to ap fastboot, no luck.

I can't get anything to even so much as flash some sort of logo or anything on the screen.

Whadda ya think fellas?

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

If the led lights up, it obviously means that power is getting to the main board (which is a good sign) ...... how long have you left it plugged into a charger prior to trying anything..... of course if the battery is dead.... it will not respond.....if you are not sure.... I would plug it in overnight to attempt to charge it fully....

It would kind of be helpful if you knew (or can find out) what system version it is/was on ....locked or unlocked..... what ROM flash was attempted and how it was flashed.......

Also.... put it under a bright light and inspect the screen to see if it is broken....

"The force is strong with this one..."

• PwnFx likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 PwnFx

PwnFx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

If the led lights up, it obviously means that power is getting to the main board (which is a good sign) ...... how long have you left it plugged into a charger prior to trying anything..... of course if the battery is dead.... it will not respond.....if you are not sure.... I would plug it in overnight to attempt to charge it fully....

It would kind of be helpful if you knew (or can find out) what system version it is/was on ....locked or unlocked..... what ROM flash was attempted and how it was flashed.......

Also.... put it under a bright light and inspect the screen to see if it is broken....

I've let it charge for maybe 30 minutes a few times over a span of the past 10 hours, maybe 4 times total of charging for half hour intervals.

I'll charge it overnight and see how it goes in the morning.

He's a complete technology... well.. "tard", I had already asked about the rom or the process he went through and he said he didn't remember, I was going to go back to the thread and see if I could follow their instructions if I could get it to power on. The LCD, nor digitizer appear to be damaged in any way.

Thanks for the quick repsonse, I'll post back with results tomorrow.

Have a great night!

#4 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

If it was completely dead, it takes more than 30 mins sometimes to get them to come up.  However, if you let it charge overnight and you don't even get the the charging screen to come up when plugging it in, there is a good chance the screen is dead.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#5 PwnFx

PwnFx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

If it was completely dead, it takes more than 30 mins sometimes to get them to come up.  However, if you let it charge overnight and you don't even get the the charging screen to come up when plugging it in, there is a good chance the screen is dead.

Welp, after an entire day of charging, still nothing.

While charging, sometimes the green bar light goes all glitchy and halfway dims and blinks on and off, is that normal?

Perhaps the phone actually has water damage or something else?

Even if the screen is dead, wouldn't the phone still do something when powered on? Like that light turn on, or vibrate or make some sort of sound?

While unplugged, I can't get the phone to do anything.

He claims that he didn't drop it in water or anything else, that he was just simply trying to root it and install a new rom, but I don't think I believe that.

Thanks for the help guys.

e/ Is there a way to check for water damage? (red dot)

If needed, I can disassemble the phone to see if anything looks unusual, is there anything I can look for if I take it apart?

#6 arikr

arikr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Current Device(s):XT912

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

You tried to RSDlite it back to stock?..

Droid RAZR XT912 Maxx'd - ArtMOD 4.31 (Carrier - PagePlus)

#7 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

You tried to RSDlite it back to stock?..

The main problem with that is he can't seem to access the screen .... :ph34r:

jhf.png

#8 arikr

arikr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

The main problem with that is he can't seem to access the screen .... :ph34r:

Yeah, but when flashing a wrong ROM it will create the "black screen" effect.. And easiest way to change it back for noobs would be to flash it with RSDlite...

#9 PwnFx

PwnFx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, but when flashing a wrong ROM it will create the "black screen" effect.. And easiest way to change it back for noobs would be to flash it with RSDlite...

I'm not necessarily a "noob" per se, I'm just not a developer or anything, lol.

Can I RSD without being able to fastboot or anything?

#10 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

Indeed... you are right :) but ..... with the phone not responding to the buttons, etc .... its not able to be put in AP Fast boot to run rsdlite (or utility, or HouseofMoto) :)

jhf.png

#11 arikr

arikr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

There might be a way, I haven't looked into it too much.. There might be a way using a jig or another device.. Does it even reset when you hold power + +/- volume buttons?..

#12 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Just for giggles, did you try an hdmi cable?  It doesn't sound like it is even on, but got nothing to lose but time.  I'm really thinking a hardware issue.

• jl90 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#13 arikr

arikr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Just for giggles, did you try an hdmi cable? It doesn't sound like it is even on, but got nothing to lose but time. I'm really thinking a hardware issue.

Yeah other people have problems with either hardware mapping got wiped, or faulty buttons.. I'll do more research tomorrow if needed.. If ya can't reset using the 3 button combo that means the buttons are faulty or the hardware mapping got wiped - which there is no return for that one.. At least to my knowledge..

#14 PwnFx

PwnFx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

There might be a way, I haven't looked into it too much.. There might be a way using a jig or another device.. Does it even reset when you hold power + +/- volume buttons?..

Reset? Sorta, the green light goes off and then comes back on shortly, which in my eyes indicates a reset.

Just for giggles, did you try an hdmi cable?  It doesn't sound like it is even on, but got nothing to lose but time.  I'm really thinking a hardware issue.

I hadn't thought of that, but I just did try it, and no luck there either. :(

#15 arikr

arikr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Like you should see the screen backlight flash for a split second.. If it didn't do that, then either its a faulty power button, or... The screen isn't turning on due to wrong display driver/mapping..

#16 PwnFx

PwnFx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Like you should see the screen backlight flash for a split second.. If it didn't do that, then either its a faulty power button, or... The screen isn't turning on due to wrong display driver/mapping..

No backlight at all, no flash, nothing lol. :(

Even if the power button were faulty, should the device not turn on when plugged into the charger anyway?

#17 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

With the random flickering of the LED mentioned earlier... I'm inclined to the phone has been physically damaged (dropped, water damage,etc) .....

jhf.png

#18 arikr

arikr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

No backlight at all, no flash, nothing lol. :(
Even if the power button were faulty, should the device not turn on when plugged into the charger anyway?

Not if it got wiped by a custom software.. Google it.. A lot of people who can't even access the Bootloader (Your problem) seem to have hardware issues..

#19 PwnFx

PwnFx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

With the random flickering of the LED mentioned earlier... I'm inclined to the phone has been physically damaged (dropped, water damage,etc) .....

That was almost my first thought when it didn't power on, but the light was flickering, was water damage.

Is there a water damage indicator anywhere on or inside the phone?

#20 arikr

arikr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

As john was saying.. Its most likely hardware issues..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users