bluedevil0402

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Current Device(s):GS4, Droid Maxx HD

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I hope someone is awake that can help me.  Just got Razr Maxx HD (did not take update) so unlocked bootloader, rooted, twrp recovery, everything working fine.  Installed a couple of ROMs with no issued.  I was going to try another ROM but when I booted into recovery I got a series of vibrations (4-5) then my unlocked bootloader screen.  Went into recovery and now have no OS to boot too.  Trying AP fastboot to move new zip file to phone for install but having no success.  I am in fastboot mode when checking "fastboot devices", but unable to move file.  Saw video on moving boot img, recovery img, etc but I cannot find those files individually to move, just zip files with full ROM included.  Tried unzipping to find individual files to no avail.  Not sure if I understand commands even after reading everything I could find.  Not a complete noob but first time rooting with no external storage.  Could be reason I wiped OS accidentally.  Frustrated and tired but need phone running soon even on stock.  Help me I'm confused?  Will provide any additional info you need.

Tried ADB sideload with no luck as well.  Using fastboot, i did see a message at one point about not being rooted?  Can I root with this method and then try installing ROM?

Edited by bluedevil0402, 23 November 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Will it boot properly into recovery.....(not AP Fastboot)......?

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 bluedevil0402

bluedevil0402

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

Yes boots into twrp recovery fine.  When I try a reboot from there it says no OS are you sure message. And THANK YOU for responding so quickly :)

#4 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

No problem...:) ....did you by any chance make any backups of any ROM that you have flashed?...... if not, do you have any ROM zips on your internal storage? .....

jhf.png

#5 bluedevil0402

bluedevil0402

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

I did make a backup but when I choose backup in twrp there are no files listed.  I do have slim rom on my device but when I try to install it fails at symlinks and permissions: set-perm: some changes failed

#6 bluedevil0402

bluedevil0402

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

I meant restore sorry

#7 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

You can try to use fix permissions in the advanced menu (in TWRP )..... but I don't think it will do you any good..... You will probably need to visit the House of Moto.... and FXZ back to stock .......

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

being unlocked gives you a lot of flexibility on what FXZ file you choose for the HoM tool..... if you remember what system version you were on, I would choose that one....

jhf.png

#8 bluedevil0402

bluedevil0402

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Ok I did find this link earlier.  The problem I saw with the files available is that they are all listed as 9.18.1 and my original system is 9.16.1.  If I flash one of these and it works will I then have a locked bootloader?  I was under the impression that any version after mine was blocked from unlocking the bootloader.

#9 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

No.... it will not re-lock the bootloader.... all that update did was prevent the bootloader from being unlocked (of it was not already) :) so you are safe there..... so you can use pretty much any of them....:)

jhf.png

#10 bluedevil0402

bluedevil0402

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

Ok going to take awhile to dl the file.  I will let you know what happens.  Thank you again!!!!!!

#11 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

No problem.....:) its my pleasure....... while you are DLing the file..... plug your phone into a wall charger(unless you have a TBH factory cable/adapter) ..... you will want to be 100% sure that you are 100% charged prior to flashing, or you will be in worse shape than you are now.....

jhf.png

#12 bluedevil0402

bluedevil0402

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

Ok having problem with xml file.  Told to delete two lines from file on link you provided.  Problem is i cannot select "Open with..." in the context menu and if I try to open with Notepad++ it tries to open the whole zip file, which is too big for the program to open.  Now what?

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

The modified scripts and XML files are included in the House of Moto....be sure you DL the house of moto AND the support file for your device :)...... . but if you want to do it manually, (to use with RSDlite ) you need to unzip the file before you can modify anything within it.....:)

jhf.png

#14 bluedevil0402

bluedevil0402

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

It's alive...IT'S ALIVE!!!  Thanks so much for your help.  So others will benefit as well, making sure you take out those two lines is EXTREMELY important.  Failing to do so will result in RSDLite not recognizing the xml as valid.  Once I got the xml file changed, worked as advertised.  Thanks again to johnthehillbilly for staying up with me to solve this thing.  

Now last question...what did I do to erase the OS?????  I did this once before but realized that I did not mount the system prior to starting install, so I figured that was it.  This time I did not make that mistake but it happened again.  I was about boot into recovery and for some reason (i cannot remember why now) I held the power button by itself for a few seconds.  Instead of feeling two vibrations as I have always felt when powering off regular, I felt 4-5, then I saw the unlocked bootloader warning and it stuck there.  When I got back into recovery I discovered there was no OS.  Any thoughts???

• johnthehillbilly and RikRong like this

#15 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

No idea how you erased the OS.  It is good that you learned how to recover your device with fastboot.  However, to make things easier in the future, make sure your backups save to your external SD card.  I don't think TWRP automatically pulls up the backup.  I believe you have to go to the folder where it's stored and this will be easier if it's on your external.  Also, it never hurts to keep a couple of ROM .zips on your external, just for situations like this.  Like I said, though, it's good you learned the "harder" way to recover, you're now better for it.  

R. Long: Pixel 5

#16 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

You are very welcome!!!!!

Glad you got it up and running..:) :) ...... as far as wiping the OS..... truthfully, it could be any number of things, that actually caused it.... anything from user error, to a malfunctioning recovery...... I would certainly be vigilant and pay close attention to every little thing for right now..... and absolutely make a backup of your stock system etc prior to flashing anything...:):)
  • RikRong likes this

jhf.png

#17 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:02 PM

Because of the fact that nothing would flash (ROM zip) ...and recovery could not see the backup(s)....... I would venture a guess and say the recovery got "corrupted" somehow..... and would warrant the FXZ anyway..... :)
  • RikRong likes this

jhf.png

#18 bluedevil0402

bluedevil0402

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

No idea how you erased the OS.  It is good that you learned how to recover your device with fastboot.  However, to make things easier in the future, make sure your backups save to your external SD card.  I don't think TWRP automatically pulls up the backup.  I believe you have to go to the folder where it's stored and this will be easier if it's on your external.  Also, it never hurts to keep a couple of ROM .zips on your external, just for situations like this.  Like I said, though, it's good you learned the "harder" way to recover, you're now better for it.  

I would love to keep some on my external...if I had one.  This is the first phone I have used that didn't have removable storage.  I think that is how I erased it in first place.  When I do a backup with twrp, if I immediately go to the restore tab shouldn't there be a file showing there?  I did not see one and was unable to explore file structure to find one.

#19 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

I would love to keep some on my external...if I had one.  This is the first phone I have used that didn't have removable storage.  I think that is how I erased it in first place.  When I do a backup with twrp, if I immediately go to the restore tab shouldn't there be a file showing there?  I did not see one and was unable to explore file structure to find one.

The Maxx HD does have an SD slot.  I'm running a 32GB SD right now.  Some people run 64GB SDs but they just have to be formatted first.  I can't remember if the restore tab automatically brings up the backup, I'll have to look at my phone when I get home.

Did you get this phone used, and if you did, do you have all the accessories?  There's a door on the left side of the phone (if you're looking at the screen) that has the sim and SD card slots.  If you have the accessories, there should be a little tab thing with a skinny point on one end.  This is used to insert in the little hole on the door and open it.  If you don't have the tab, you can use a paper clip or push pin.

R. Long: Pixel 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users