17 replies to this topic

#1 joecracker

joecracker

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:28 AM

Ok. so I rooted my phone for the first time a year ago. I flashed it with the stock rom 4.0.4 like I was told then installed safestrap then ICARUSHD. I loved it. Later I went with Icarus remix... Even better. as time went on I noticed some lagging so I decided to it was time to try out another rom. I like to experiment. I would like to find something solid with just a few bells and whistles( simple) that has great battery life. Should move to a JB rom? Do I have to reroot if I do? I guess what I'm asking is how do I get out of this mess and into a slick driver. I've looked all over this forum and I'm just more confused.

Thanks

#2 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,122 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

You will have to get your Bionic up to stock JB (4.1.2).  You can use the House of Bionic or Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper to retain root through the upgrade.

• joecracker likes this
The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#3 B.E.McAllister

B.E.McAllister

Paint by Number Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationUT, PA
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

If you've left your stock slot alone and not changed anything you can use voodoo root keeper on your stock slot like was mentioned, uninstall safestrap, take the over the air upgrade, use voodoo again to restore root, install safestrap again, then flash away. Sounds like your looking for a stock rom and you will have a nice selection to choose from. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  • joecracker likes this

#4 joecracker

joecracker

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

If you've left your stock slot alone and not changed anything you can use voodoo root keeper on your stock slot like was mentioned, uninstall safestrap, take the over the air upgrade, use voodoo again to restore root, install safestrap again, then flash away. Sounds like your looking for a stock rom and you will have a nice selection to choose from. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Thanks LDubs. And thank you B.E.M. for the walk thru. I just dont want to brick it. I had Safestrap 3.11 on it but tried to update it to 3.63 in preperation for a new rom. now its all buggered up. should I stick with 3.11?

#5 B.E.McAllister

B.E.McAllister

Paint by Number Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationUT, PA
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

Honestly, if it was me I'd wipe it clean with an Jelly Bean fxz, root it with Linux option, and go from there. There are a couple ways to root it and there are pages to walk through. If House of Bionic has the option to upgrade and keep root, I've never personally used it, but as long as you followed directions that might be the smartest way to go.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• joecracker likes this

#6 joecracker

joecracker

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thats what I want. Wipe it clean. Start fresh. So the first step is house of bionic? Thanks. I'll start looking.

#7 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,122 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

IIRC house of bionic had an option to protect and restore root. sent from my hammerhead
The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#8 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

Won't help here and the House of Bionic is discontinued.  Any time you FXZ, you will lose root so protecting it won't help.  Use the House of Moto to FXZ to 4.1.2, then use easy root to root it.

• B.E.McAllister, johnthehillbilly and joecracker like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#9 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,122 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Right, what Sam said. :)

sent from my hammerhead

• joecracker likes this

#10 joecracker

joecracker

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Won't help here and the House of Bionic is discontinued.  Any time you FXZ, you will lose root so protecting it won't help.  Use the House of Moto to FXZ to 4.1.2, then use easy root to root it.

Thank you sir. Nice to hear from the master. I've been reading up on your stuff. I sure it will go fine.

...Feeling kinda dumb but I can't find easy root.

• SamuriHL likes this

#11 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

Let me know if you run into any issues.  It should be straight forward.  Use the KEEP DATA script in the House of Moto unless you want a completely clean start, in which case you can use the FULL script.  Easy root is a linux VM that someone wrote that'll walk you through the exploit.

• joecracker likes this

#12 joecracker

joecracker

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

I must be the worst noob ever. Looked for the easy root vm without much success. I found a video explaining how to use RSD lite to update to jelly bean. I thought I would use house of moto first then use the RSD lite? do I uninstall the safestrap first?

#13 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhh, wait, what?  Let's take this very slowly cause no, just no.  

First:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Second:

NO.  The House of Moto has RSD built in.  You don't do anything with RSD.  That's the whole point...to make it easy to just install the House of Moto, the support file for the xt875, your FXZ, and run it.  Pick the flash mode you want (fastboot or RSD), then pick a script and flash it.

Third:

Safestrap is irrelevant when flashing an FXZ.  It'll be removed for you.  The app will still be there, but, the recovery will be removed just like root.

• joecracker likes this

#14 joecracker

joecracker

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhh, wait, what?  Let's take this very slowly cause no, just no.  

First:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Second:

NO.  The House of Moto has RSD built in.  You don't do anything with RSD.  That's the whole point...to make it easy to just install the House of Moto, the support file for the xt875, your FXZ, and run it.  Pick the flash mode you want (fastboot or RSD), then pick a script and flash it.

Third:

Safestrap is irrelevant when flashing an FXZ.  It'll be removed for you.  The app will still be there, but, the recovery will be removed just like root.

You rule. Sometimes I just need to be led a little. I should be all set. I'll let you know how all your hair pulling out worked for me. 8)

#15 joecracker

joecracker

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

I obviously did something wrong and I think I read something about this somewhere in here. It says " AdbWinApi.dll " is missing from my computer?

.... Tried other flash option seems to be working

#16 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

Seems you didn't set it up right.  But as long as RSD is working, whatever.

#17 joecracker

joecracker

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

I chose Revelution-Unleashed. Other then it being a bit heavy on the battery I like it. Is there a better stock rom for Battery? You taught me well Obi Wan. Thanks Sam.

#18 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,122 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

Flying Jelly, Blurry or Rage were my faves 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users