Photo

6.16.215 Ics Update Leak (Install From 211)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1134 replies to this topic

#741 zbjones

zbjones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thought so. Thanks for the quick reply, both of you!<br /><br />Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

#742 Aliceics

Aliceics

Graphic Designer | Themer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Twitter:alicerzr
  • Google+:littlemissalice1@gmail.com

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Google Android Developers debunked that a while back and said that the battery stats are wiped and reset each time the battery receives a full charge. There's no need go ever manually reset them.

Really? First I'm hearing of this. So Battery Calibration app is useless?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#743 milkshed27

milkshed27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

I agree that wiping battery stats does not technically improve battery life, but I still do believe that wiping battery stats might fix issues with the meter accuracy. When I had my OG Droid sometimes my meter would make big percentage jumps. Nothing fixed the issue except wiping battery stats.

However, I had the same issue with my OG Razr, and in this case wiping battery stats did not fix the issue. In any case, I'm totally against draining my battery completely because that is the worst thing you can do with a Lithium-ion/polymer battery. Since replacing the battery is not as simple as running out to your nearest Verizon store and purchasing another one, keeping our batteries as healthy as possible should be a priority.
If we question our own actions, our thought process, make a conscious decision to what we feel is right every single day, that's what I believe to be Divinity. That's true Shamanism.

#744 brees75

brees75

Developer

• Developer
  • 217 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

I agree that wiping battery stats does not technically improve battery life, but I still do believe that wiping battery stats might fix issues with the meter accuracy. When I had my OG Droid sometimes my meter would make big percentage jumps. Nothing fixed the issue except wiping battery stats.

However, I had the same issue with my OG Razr, and in this case wiping battery stats did not fix the issue. In any case, I'm totally against draining my battery completely because that is the worst thing you can do with a Lithium-ion/polymer battery. Since replacing the battery is not as simple as running out to your nearest Verizon store and purchasing another one, keeping our batteries as healthy as possible should be a priority.

There are fail-safes built into the logic center of present day Li-on batteries so it isn't possible to completely drain a battery in the full sense of the word. They shut the phone off at about 10% so as to prevent complete discharge in case the battery is stored unused for a period of time due to the fact that the logic circuits use the battery even when it is not being discharged during regular use.

Calibrating the battery doesn't "improve" the battery performance, but does make the readings more accurate as milkshed mentioned. Granted the Google developers may have built this in for regular usage. For those of us who flash ROMs calibrating still has a place however due to the fact that the usage get altered during the flashing process. We have all seen the battery jump 5 or 10% within a matter of seconds after flashing a ROM and that is where a calibration can rectify things.

So yeah if you don't mod or flash custom ROMs then you probably don't have to worry about it.
  • StealthPanda likes this

#745 sherri

sherri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Twitter:sherri64
  • LocationMy own personal hell....

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

This has not helped my battery at all. At 83% in a little over 2 hours. Screen on time was 47 minutes. Very light use. Any suggestions? Can a specific ROM be causing this?

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2
Disappointed and hurt. Not surprised.

#746 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

I'll just leave this here for everyone:

Google engineer Dianne Hackborn, who has previously explained Android’s hardware acceleration, took to Google+ again to clarify some myths about the Android operating system. This time, it’s a point of common advice that you’ll see in virtually every FAQ thread about custom ROMs and flashing: wiping battery stats in order to improve battery life.

The reasoning behind that piece of advice was something like this: If you, at some point, did not charge your Android device fully (for example, only to 80%), it would supposedly remember that battery level as “fully charged” – in this case, you’d only ever get to use 80% of your battery, which is of course less than optimal. So, if you wipe the battery stats, usually done in ClockWord Mod Recovery, the device would “forget” the previous level, here 80%, and instead charge to the full 100% once again, thereby re-calibrating the battery. Or, as Hackborn puts it in more technical terms:

"The battery indicator in the status/notification bar is a reflection of the batterystats.bin file in the data/system/ directory."

However, as she explains, that’s not the case. Because those battery stats, stored in the batterystats.bin file, are only used to maintain information about what is using the battery when not recharging. That is, it essentially holds the information displayed in the Settings > Battery screen. Nothing more, nothing less. Thus:

It has no impact on the current battery level shown to you.

It has no impact on your battery life.
What’s more, you’ve probably noticed that the battery usage data is reset once you recharge your device anyway. From this you can correctly deduce that the battery stats are wiped as well – every time your device is recharged. More or less every day. If there was any effect, you would’ve noticed it without going into recovery and doing that stuff. Typical placebo, eh?

Original Article here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• Memnoch73, BytecodeMe and Toxicwolf like this

#747 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

Really? First I'm hearing of this. So Battery Calibration app is useless?

Completely.

#748 hawkintx

hawkintx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Just curious if anyone gets good battery life using 4G exclusively? When I bought the Maxx I expected to be able to keep it 4G mode all the time, but after some testing that doesn't seem possible if I want my battery to last more than 14 hours. Also, what constitutes a strong 4G signal? When on 4G exclusively gsam battery monitor reports the bulk of my signal strength in the 4/5 range which seems good. However, if I look at signal strength, on 4G it is in the -100dBm range, and on 3G it is in the -77dBm range. Is it safe to assume 4G is killing my battery because signal strength isn't good enough? I've tried .215 and no battery improvement. I've done all the FDR's and cache wipes, no improvement. Adjusting the screen didn't seem to help. Turning off 4G seems to be the only thing that makes a difference. Wish I could run my phone on 4G.....

#749 Aliceics

Aliceics

Graphic Designer | Themer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Twitter:alicerzr
  • Google+:littlemissalice1@gmail.com

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Just curious if anyone gets good battery life using 4G exclusively? When I bought the Maxx I expected to be able to keep it 4G mode all the time, but after some testing that doesn't seem possible if I want my battery to last more than 14 hours. Also, what constitutes a strong 4G signal? When on 4G exclusively gsam battery monitor reports the bulk of my signal strength in the 4/5 range which seems good. However, if I look at signal strength, on 4G it is in the -100dBm range, and on 3G it is in the -77dBm range. Is it safe to assume 4G is killing my battery because signal strength isn't good enough? I've tried .215 and no battery improvement. I've done all the FDR's and cache wipes, no improvement. Adjusting the screen didn't seem to help. Turning off 4G seems to be the only thing that makes a difference. Wish I could run my phone on 4G.....

Well, yeah. A weak signal in general is killer on battery life, let alone a weak 4G signal. That's probably why 4G is killing your phone. I just got back from vacation, where I went gave me a strong-ish 4G signal, around -80 dbm. It's not perfect but I could keep my phone on 4G all day without any problems. Maxx also.

#750 xiinator

xiinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Mine is always on 4G with occasional 3g if 4G can't be found. My battery usually lasts about 18hrs or more on heavy use. With moderate use, at least 24-30-some hours. One weekend I used it lightly and it lasted me over 56hrs (with 4g).

If the signal is weak enough the phone probably sucks up the battery trying to maintain a signal lock.

#751 larrygeary

larrygeary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I've never liked using an application to automate toggling of mobile data (Smart Actions, Juice Defender, etc). The way I see it is, I don't need mobile data to be turned on just because I turned on the screen.

I think this is OT, but yes, I've tried the same thing and didn't like it. But since I've had the phone (original RAZR) I've used Smart Actions for two scenarios - Home (where I want WiFi ON and Mobile Data OFF) and Car (opposite of Home plus Bluetooth connection to my car). It works well, but I haven't figured out how to program the case where I'm not home and not in the car. I've wanted to create more scenarios so that the phone can adapt to my environment and respond accordingly, but the number of different cases multiplies exponentially. So having a ready toggle switch is a simpler solution for everything outside the daily routine.

#752 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Try a Thunderbolt. You'll understand what bad battery life is quite quickly. That's what I had before my RAZR. I averaged about 3.5-5 hours. Tops.
  • Memnoch73 likes this

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#753 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

Try a Thunderbolt. You'll understand what bad battery life is quite quickly. That's what I had before my RAZR. I averaged about 3.5-5 hours. Tops.

+1 Same here... Although an unlocked bootloader and custom kernels were helpful

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#754 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Mine is always on 4G. I would estimate I have about 98% 4G coverage in my city. IMHO, 4G, 3G really only impacts if you're using it. I have used my phone heavily IE; beating the piss out of it and got 14-16 hours, but left it laying on the nightstand and got 36 hours. While it was on the nightstand, it was on 4G the entire time. The point being, using your phone is what drains the battery. Sure, using it with 4G will use more than 3G, but on my Maxx I don't think I really see it. I do however, see when I am beating the piss out of it. 14-16 hours on my Maxx is plenty for me. The biggest drainage I see on most screenshots is the screen chewing the battery followed normally by the Android OS.
Posted Image

#755 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Mine is always on 4G. I would estimate I have about 98% 4G coverage in my city. IMHO, 4G, 3G really only impacts if you're using it. I have used my phone heavily IE; beating the piss out of it and got 14-16 hours, but left it laying on the nightstand and got 36 hours. While it was on the nightstand, it was on 4G the entire time. The point being, using your phone is what drains the battery. Sure, using it with 4G will use more than 3G, but on my Maxx I don't think I really see it. I do however, see when I am beating the piss out of it. 14-16 hours on my Maxx is plenty for me. The biggest drainage I see on most screenshots is the screen chewing the battery followed normally by the Android OS.

If you're in a low signal area like my work it'll drain your battery faster as the radios fight to keep a stable signal (more juice). Sadly I'm only able to pull about 5-7 hrs at work vs 8-10 in a "normal" environment. (standard razr)

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#756 down1plus2

down1plus2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

"The user hosting this content is out of bandwidth". can't get the file. Any other options?

#757 jtc303

jtc303

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 406 posts
  • LocationMA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

"The user hosting this content is out of bandwidth". can't get the file. Any other options?

if you're stock .211 all you need is the mediafire link... download that
Posted Image

#758 down1plus2

down1plus2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

ok cool thx!

#759 rinzes

rinzes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm getting excellent batt life on my razr total stock. 11.5 hours and down to 70%

Posted Image Posted Image

#760 rwil85

rwil85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

I'm getting excellent batt life on my razr total stock. 11.5 hours and down to 70%

Got my maxx about a week ago...have been relatively light on dl'ing apps and what not, live in a fairly good service area, use wifi throughout the day fairly often, etc.

I flashed .215 over stock .211 and haven't rooted my device yet..I wiped data/cache throughout that process a couple of times just to be safe..I've also already changed the network to lte/cdma/evdo..

I'm not seeing anything dazzling in regards to battery life as it seems some of you are...

Am I just a heavier user than I think? Or something absolutely important that I might've missed?

If anyone could give some recommendations as to what I should try, maybe point me to a "for dummies" battery saving guide, etc - I'd appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users