235 replies to this topic

#21 gavex

gavex

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

So I couldn't get the Utility to work but I found a different way of getting the bootstrap app onto my droid razr. I used the Android File Transfer program, found here

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. Once downloaded and installed properly, I connected the razr to my Mac and just dragged the RazrICSBootstrap.apk file, found in the Utility, into the Android file transfer window. It will let you choose internal or sd storage with a toggle. Once on the on the phone I disconnected the phone from the computer, clicked and install apk file. This made it alot easier.
But I'm still unclear why I couldn't use the Utility to do it. :huh:

Hope this can help someone else out.

#22 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

I'm not sure why anyone would download an app to do something they can already do using file explorer in m@$$ storage mode, and the file explorer on their RAZR.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#23 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

As to your other question, it's not possible to be in Media device (MTP) mode and have the "Install motocast.app" screen appear - that only happens in M@$$ Storage mode. So to clarify, you need to be in USB Debugging mode (from Developer Options in System Settings), and your USB setting should be Media device (MTP). I just ran the Utility on a RAZR with those settings, and installed Bootstrap in about two seconds elapsed time.
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#24 Collin James

Collin James

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

So I couldn't get the Utility to work but I found a different way of getting the bootstrap app onto my droid razr. I used the Android File Transfer program, found here

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. Once downloaded and installed properly, I connected the razr to my Mac and just dragged the RazrICSBootstrap.apk file, found in the Utility, into the Android file transfer window. It will let you choose internal or sd storage with a toggle. Once on the on the phone I disconnected the phone from the computer, clicked and install apk file. This made it alot easier.
But I'm still unclear why I couldn't use the Utility to do it.

Hope this can help someone else out.

Could you go into a little more detail as to why the Utility wouldn't work for you? Did it recognize your device?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

removed

#25 gavex

gavex

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

When I tried to run the Utility I made sure that MTP, debugging, and unknown source are all checked. I run the Utility and choose option 3 and it just stay there and doesn't do anything. I tried all the suggestions stealthmouse suggested and still just get a frozen terminal when I try to install Bootstrap.apk with the Utility.

I thought for a while that my mac wasn't recognizing my razr but when I switch it to m@$$ storage and use motocast I can transfer files just fine.

So I'm just a little lost as to why it's not working for me. Especially since I used one of the first Utilities to root my phone when I first got it with Gingerbread.

#26 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Sorry I didn't think of this before, but try changing the USB connection to PTP. In some cases, MTP won't work, but PTP will. If not, then it's more likely an ADB or device issue. I hadn't thought of it because I've never run into that problem on the Macs I've used, but it can vary by machine.

#27 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Should this have a different number than 1.81?

#28 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

There's no 1.80, if that's what you mean. The numbering matches that of similar win version.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

#29 gavex

gavex

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

Thank you very much for your help. I finally got it. I tried using the PTP mode first and it was a no go. I then did the following 2 things to get it to work:
1. did a factory reset
2. put Razr in PTP mode
Once I did this it worked perfectly.

For some reason my devices did not want to do it under just MTP. But it's all good now. Again, thanks for your help.
  • stealthmouse likes this

#30 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

Sorry to make you go through so many steps to get there. I had forgotten about that entirely, and it's not an issue for Windows because they all read MTP natively. Then I had to start again at the start and think about what system issue could be causing the issue for you, which seemed unique. But since you were doing everything else exactly as it should be set up, I knew it had to be something more common, so I actually went back into USB settings on a connected computer, then remembered the third option. I actually had written it that way in the previous instructions, but erased it in the newest one. Go figure. Glad you got it to work, and thanks for finding a glitch in my instructions, too! :)

#31 canezila

canezila

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

I am running kxstudio 32 bit. Its a ubuntu variation.

I have a problem. Does this make sense?

./LinuxMacUtility1-81.sh: 71: ./LinuxMacUtility1-81.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

I looked at line 71 and it does have () .... if I take it out, the menu disappeaers (just to further toubleshoot) and I get an error on line 81.

complete text:
brian@brian-MS-7599:~/LinuxMacUtility1-81$ sh ./LinuxMacUtility1-81.sh
Resetting ADB and Launching Droid RAZR utility...
This Isn't A Windoze Tool. XT912 CDMA/Verizon Mac/Linux Utility 1.81

./LinuxMacUtility1-81.sh: 71: ./LinuxMacUtility1-81.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
brian@brian-MS-7599:~/LinuxMacUtility1-81$

#32 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

I looked at line 71 and it does have () .... if I take it out, the menu disappeaers (just to further toubleshoot) and I get an error on line 81.

complete text:

I'll have someone look at it. I'm not familiar with Linux/ubuntu except for the parts that are just like Mac, and that's not going to help you at all.

#33 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Ummmm.....I'll ask someone to look at it. It's not like we have "people." LOL

#34 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts
  • Twitter:obey22giant
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/109248393171126077439/about

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

complete text:

Hmm. Have you tried running as sudo? Ive used the Utility only on Ubuntu 64bit, so Im sure the syntax is correct, maybe it is just a permissions error? Also, are you executing the script from the terminal, or double clicking the .sh file and then selecting "run in terminal"? Once you are able to get the menu open, if you have trouble running the fastboot options, you may have to delete the fastboot.linux file and rename the 32bit fastboot file to fastboot.linux. I will be at work and away from any Linux boxes this weekend, so I may not be very much help until I can get home. On Monday, I will set up another computer with KXStudio 32 bit and play around with that. I dont think there should be any differences. Ive ran Ubuntu Studio before without any notable operating differences from other Ubuntu distros.

Also, yes. Stealth has people, and I am they! I officially have my notifications on, so I can be a little quicker at responding to PM's and thread updates. Sorry about that, Stealth!

#35 canezila

canezila

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

1st thanks for the help.

2nd. I tried running as sudo. Same result.

I am using Dolphin with embedded Konsole since KXStudio is built using KDE. I tried using Konsole along,too.

I also have AV_Linux on another hard drive. It is my favorite audio creation distro but doesnt run bleeding edge enough to also run mythtv... at least as of now. BUT... I am going to try using this LXDE distro and I am thinking I probably will have success... so I will report back in an hour.

** Finally, just want to say THANKS to those working on making the linux utility happen.

#36 canezila

canezila

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

GOT IT!!! Works with AV_Linux 5.03 running LXDE.

#37 canezila

canezila

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

Maybe I spoke too fast. Good thing is that everything works. Bad thing for me, but I will figure something out, is that AV_Linux is (I believe) a Debian squeeze variation somewhat. Not a Ubuntu variation.. but very close in nature except Debian doesnt use "sudo" ... so the scripts looking for this ability fails. So I su to root... and changed the file and folder permissions to allow everything... but I am getting this:
[*] Simple Razr Restore to ICS 6.16.211
[*] Linux/Mac Version
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure your Razr is in the
[*] 'AP Fastboot' mode and connected via USB.
[*]--- Also press the keys after the screen flashes back on when asked---
[*]
[*]Get Ready To Break Out Your Sudo
[*]Press Enter To Continue

./files/fastboot.linux: ./files/fastboot.linux: cannot execute binary file
Press Enter When The Screen Comes Back On
Wait For It.............................

So I am thinking that I need to further investage. I will report back

#38 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

Maybe I spoke too fast. Good thing is that everything works. Bad thing for me, but I will figure something out, is that AV_Linux is (I believe) a Debian squeeze variation somewhat. Not a Ubuntu variation.. but very close in nature except Debian doesnt use "sudo" ... so the scripts looking for this ability fails. So I su to root... and changed the file and folder permissions to allow everything... but I am getting this:
[*] Simple Razr Restore to ICS 6.16.211
[*] Linux/Mac Version
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure your Razr is in the
[*] 'AP Fastboot' mode and connected via USB.
[*]--- Also press the keys after the screen flashes back on when asked---
[*]
[*]Get Ready To Break Out Your Sudo
[*]Press Enter To Continue

Press Enter When The Screen Comes Back On
Wait For It.............................

So I am thinking that I need to further investage. I will report back

That's great! Well, mostly. Now it sounds like you have the 64 bit vs 32 bit fastboot file I mentioned earlier. I don't have access to the utility right now, but I believe the fastboot 32 bit file is in the utility, it just needs to be renamed as well as deleting the current one

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#39 canezila

canezila

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Update:
I had Ubuntu 11.10 86_64 lying around... so I installed it on an extra hard drive. Bam! Now my phone is running stock .211 (menu 1).!!!!!!!!! whoooohoooo

So I was updating my 11.10 packages.. went back to get root, safestrap.... and guess what?? THE SAME THING as I got with kx_studio!!!! ahhhhhhhhhh

Solution MUST be to run 11.10 without upgrading some ubuntu package that is breaking it. So I will test my theory when I get back. Install 11.10 again and run it without updating packages.

My brain hurts.... I will hopfully have results later this eveing. ....

#40 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Update:
I had Ubuntu 11.10 86_64 lying around... so I installed it on an extra hard drive. Bam! Now my phone is running stock .211 (menu 1).!!!!!!!!! whoooohoooo

So I was updating my 11.10 packages.. went back to get root, safestrap.... and guess what?? THE SAME THING as I got with kx_studio!!!! ahhhhhhhhhh

Solution MUST be to run 11.10 without upgrading some ubuntu package that is breaking it. So I will test my theory when I get back. Install 11.10 again and run it without updating packages.

My brain hurts.... I will hopfully have results later this eveing. ....

Man, that's what I love about Linux. Don't like your setup? Having problems with a program? As long as your home folder is on another partition, just switch distros!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility, mac, linux, 1.8, 1.81, ICS stock restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users