78 replies to this topic

#1 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ/Santa Paula, CA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

On 6/14 my Droid RAZR was forced to go to ICS 4.0.4 and I hate it. It has ruined my phone for me. I used to love it.

IF I get a new RAZR and it happens to have Gingerbread on it. Can I simply root the phone and it will stay at the current
level of GB? I have a new replacement phone on it's way now. The level2 guy said rooting was the only way to prevent the
unwanted downgrade to ICS. My current RAZR is running 6.16.211 XT912 or 4.0.4 ICS crap.

Thanks for the help

Mick

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

There is no downgrading from ICS to Gingerbread. Most likely your replacement will come with ICS as well.

To add, your phone wasn't "forced" to update. You chose to accept the update, then chose again to install it.

Edited by spc_hicks09, 23 July 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#3 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Also there are no more phone with Gb unless you buy one that still is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#4 Ahowe125

Ahowe125

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Twitter:Ahowe125
  • Google+:Aaron Howe
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):VZW HTC One, Nexus 7

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

On 6/14 my Droid RAZR was forced to go to ICS 4.0.4 and I hate it. It has ruined my phone for me. I used to love it.

IF I get a new RAZR and it happens to have Gingerbread on it. Can I simply root the phone and it will stay at the current
level of GB? I have a new replacement phone on it's way now. The level2 guy said rooting was the only way to prevent the
unwanted downgrade to ICS. My current RAZR is running 6.11.744 XT912 or 4.0.4 ICS crap.

Thanks for the help

Mick

6.11.744?? I thought the OTA for ICS was 6.16.211? Did you post the incorrect system information? If your system information still shows 6.11.744 then what does your Android Version say? IIRC .744 was the 2.3.5 Android Version.

And they are right, if you are being sent a replacement phone, it will have ICS on it. You could try and find a seller on craigslist that did not take the update yet. This update was an optional update, and was never forced on anyone. Your phone did not update on its own which means maybe there are a few phones out there with GB still installed.

| 32GB Verizon HTC One - S-Off, Unlocked and Rooted on Eclipse v1.2 GPE Port |
| 16GB Nexus 7 (2013) - Unlocked and Rooted on Stock 4.4 |

#5 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

ICS is great. You would do better to learn to use it.

#6 sankyou

sankyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

I don't get how people like Gingerbread more than ICS but I guess that's a different thread.... :)

#7 superrelaxx

superrelaxx

Droid Master

• Superuser
  • 921 posts
  • Twitter:jasNwa
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

Sell the razr and get a Samsung charge as it will never get ics.

#8 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

6.11.744?? I thought the OTA for ICS was 6.16.211? Did you post the incorrect system information? If your system information still shows 6.11.744 then what does your Android Version say? IIRC .744 was the 2.3.5 Android Version.

And they are right, if you are being sent a replacement phone, it will have ICS on it. You could try and find a seller on craigslist that did not take the update yet. This update was an optional update, and was never forced on anyone. Your phone did not update on its own which means maybe there are a few phones out there with GB still installed.

A,
6.11.744 is GB 2.3.5 just like it came out-of-the-box when new. My worthless RAZR is now running 6.16..211
My RAZR did in fact upgrade itself. I said No several days in a row and finally it just came up in the upgrade step when I powered it on. Level 2 confirmed that you have about a week of saying no before it upgrades anyway. IF I get a GB version of the RAZR, I can hopefully root it to get away from the OTA? I'll hopefully have about a week if it comes with GB. Level2 told me that if the phone is really new, it will have GB but will start downloading ICS as soon as it's first activated. He didn't think that all the RAZRs were ICS yet.

ICS sucks!

#9 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

Sell the razr and get a Samsung charge as it will never get ics.

No,
I loved the RAZR when it was new and running GB 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 Every single thing I do under ICS is slower or doesn't work at all, like POP3.

#10 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

I don't get how people like Gingerbread more than ICS but I guess that's a different thread.... :)

Yep

#11 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

Why don't you try flashing .215?

#12 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

ICS is great. You would do better to learn to use it.

Level2 AND motorola can not fix the bugs it has so why should WE be doing the debugging? It's a piece of crap as released. It could be
months before it's fixed, if ever. ICS is a piece of crap and Motorola/Android should be asshamed of this release.

#13 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Can anyone answer the original question? IF I get a new RAZR and it happens to have Gingerbread on it. Can I simply root the phone and it will stay at the current level of GB?

Thanks,
Mick

#14 andlaw

andlaw

BW ftw!! !!!!!

• Developer
  • 2,463 posts
  • LocationOH-I-O
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

Can anyone answer the original question? IF I get a new RAZR and it happens to have Gingerbread on it. Can I simply root the phone and it will stay at the current level of GB?

Thanks,
Mick

root, install TiBu, freeze a bloat application so it Can't go through with the upgrade process. problem solved. but Verizon won't have any GB phones, they should have upgraded all the software for support purposes. to them GB is dead gone and a thing of the past.... 2¢™

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

"A truly blacked out experience"

Posted Image

[XT912 |[(BLACKWIDOWICS 214)] | [(BLACKWIDOWICS AOKP/CM9)] | [(BLACKWIDOWJB AOKP/CM10/CNA)] | [(wWIDOWICS 214)] | |[(BLACKWIDOWHDish)]| XT912]

[XT926 |[(BLACKWIDOWHD|wWIDOWHD)]| XT926]

#15 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

root, install TiBu, freeze a bloat application so it Can't go through with the upgrade process. problem solved. but Verizon won't have any GB phones, they should have upgraded all the software for support purposes. to them GB is dead gone and a thing of the past.... 2¢™

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

Thanks andl,
I hope you are wrong. I don't see verizon folks opening every box and setting up every RAZR in stock to ics. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see Wed.
It's more likely that any new (unpowered) RAZR would begin the downgrade process as soon as it is activated.

Mick

#16 sankyou

sankyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm a pretty damn picky user. Guess I haven't noticed all of these bugs that you mention. Also coming from the early leaks to the official OTA - all I ever notice is all of the bugs that are gone...

There were a few apps that struggled with ICS at first but I have only one that no longer works because the developer abandoned it over a year ago.

#17 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Why don't you try flashing .215?

I don't have a source fo .215 and I'm not rooted yet. When I check for updates, there are none available. Is there an easier way to get .215?
Is it any better? Is there a bug-fix list somewhere?

I found .215

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#18 sankyou

sankyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

I don't have a source fo .215 and I'm not rooted yet. When I check for updates, there are none available. Is there an easier way to get .215?
Is it any better? Is there a bug-fix list somewhere?

The root is cake - just download Matt's latest utility (1.81 I believe). Most people say many bugfixes are included in .215 but there isn't a formal changelog because it's a leak. The most common improvement is better 4g -> 3g handoffs. Some people say it seems snappier as well. Haven't made the plunge yet myself as I'm happy with Eclipse on .211

#19 Mick

Mick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

The root is cake - just download Matt's latest utility (1.81 I believe). Most people say many bugfixes are included in .215 but there isn't a formal changelog because it's a leak. The most common improvement is better 4g -> 3g handoffs. Some people say it seems snappier as well. Haven't made the plunge yet myself as I'm happy with Eclipse on .211

I'm downloading the 1.7 failsafe version of Matt's utility right now. Did not see a 1.81 ver. I'm on the border of 3G 4G and the ics thing just keeps trying 4G endlessly. I found an app that forces 3G but we used to have that option in GB, to disable 4G. I'm mostly WiFi here at home.
I'll see if I can find .215

#20 sankyou

sankyou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I got you:
Matt's 1.81:

.215 leak:

If I recall correctly, the latest utility can root .215. If not, you would need to root .211 first - save SU with vodoo utility (included in matt's utility) - then update to .215. Finally restore root from Vodoo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users