94 replies to this topic

#21 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Yea, you can definitely downgrade and protect root and reupgrade.  I use SuperSU Pro and it protects root quite well through OTA's.

• TDAWG66 likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#22 aivral88

aivral88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNH
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy SIII

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

when you say "downgrade" you mean fastbooting back? So losing all data, and wiping?

#23 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,449 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Woa woa woa.  What do I look like here?  Losing all data???  HELLLLL NO.  I'm not the creator of the House of Moto for nothing!  :)  Use my KEEP DATA script to FXZ back to the previous version WITHOUT losing data, root it, protect it, and OTA that sucker again.  :)

• fastfoodfred, my2cents, johnthehillbilly and 1 other like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#24 aivral88

aivral88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

Well...Looks like I've got my root back, was about to try that house of moto, downloaded everything needed for that but while waiting for download I came across something else I had to try out and it worked.  So here's what I did, just so you all know, this is the first time I've actually used adb, and it's pretty cool.  I think the ONLY reason I was able to do this was because I had "protected" root with Voodoo Rootkeeper before I did this OTA so I still had a backup file on my phone.

I first opened up a command prompt with administrative rights, and changed directories to where I saved matt's utility to so I could work with the files in there and call adb from there.  Then I executed the following commands one by one

adb kill-server > nul
adb start-server > nul
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 500 > nul
adb wait-for-device devices > nul
adb shell "/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup -c 'mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/system /system'" 
adb shell "/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup -c 'cp /system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup /system/bin/su'" 
adb shell "/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup -c 'chmod 6755 /system/bin/su'"

If you don't see any errors after running those commands (one at a time) do the following:

adb shell

You will see your device's android prompt:

1|shell@cdma_spyder:/ $ su

Then if all goes well it will put you in root mode

1|root@cdma_spyder:/ #

Looks like this all caused me to learn something new today!  B)

EDIT:  Wanted to add, looking back on it now I think where I went wrong was not "temp unrooting" through Voodoo before applying the OTA...

Edited by aivral88, 11 January 2014 - 10:55 AM.

• hawkz28, cmh714 and Hackn3y like this

#25 aivral88

aivral88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Also just wanted to add I took screenshots of device info before and after, so the baseband is the exact same but the kernel version did change a little bit, not sure if it affects anything though since the main version number didn't change.

#26 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationIowa. Close to the University of Iowa.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:19 AM

Woke up and saw I had a update. Came here right after I selected install later. Have you seen anything better wit this upgrade? Like signal, speed, data, ect? My phone has been having its pms lately like the "Ghost finger." Bad Razr, I did not type that. Your getting rebooted. I was running a custom ROM but its not being developed anymore so back to stock. Thanks for all who jumped and tested it. 

To powerful to fall into my hands. Click......Rooted. ICS rommed!!!!! Muhahahahah!!!!

#27 DrunkulaTX

DrunkulaTX

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Twitter:drunkulatx
  • LocationDenton, TX
  • Current Device(s):HTC Droid DNA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

Took update OTA after Rootkeeper.  Temp un-root then update.  Rootkeeper restored root no problem.  All is well.

HTC Droid DNA

Droid RAZR XT912 (retired)

#28 just lou

just lou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Woke up and saw I had a update. Came here right after I selected install later. Have you seen anything better wit this upgrade? Like signal, speed, data, ect? My phone has been having its pms lately like the "Ghost finger." Bad Razr, I did not type that. Your getting rebooted. I was running a custom ROM but its not being developed anymore so back to stock. Thanks for all who jumped and tested it. 

I haven't seen any difference after updating, good or bad. I didn't really have any issues beforehand though.

#29 ball9077

ball9077

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

yea... I've been trying Razr Blade multiple times and keep getting the following:

Press any key to continue . . .
1158 KB/s (3477 bytes in 0.002s)
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase four...
4601 KB/s (543080 bytes in 0.115s)
3154 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.578s)
3114 KB/s (476557 bytes in 0.149s)
1934 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.032s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!

I also uninstalled Voodoo to make sure that wasn't interfering.

May help may not but I have 3 maxxs' so as you might guess I'm pretty finger frolicky restoring root. A few helpers that seem to catch exploit when all fails. First connect as normal. If mount issues try storage erase internal several times while ext SD is unmounted. 3-4 times it will stick and you can proceed with Matt's. Now here's how I catch that sh, log wrapper etc etc pain. Clean Google main apps, and art actions, as well. I generally freeze them accept main smart actions app. Now do a fresh flash with Matt's or RSD and pay attention. As soon as radio is sent phone reboots, you have to catch it right then with all three buttons to put into boot loader then boot TOOLS only. It won't recover it will straight boot. Then go ahead set up acct. Reclean smart and Google . USB debug third party apps etc. And start Matt's or fans root until. When phone reboots again catch it before it turns on again and push it through boot loader tools each time it reboots during exploit. Never let it reboot and recover or boot normally until you've flashed and ran the utility to completion. Secure superuser and SS or BMM or Cwm then go ahead and let it reboot to recovery. The key for all 3 of mine was to catch the reboot and send it through TaoOLS only but its a solid win. Peace.
  • possnfiffer likes this

#30 ball9077

ball9077

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

Sorry for grammer and structure, yes paragraphs are our friends and although I never post I've spent thousands of hours with these but ehh, NOOB is catchy. I just tend to resolve my own issues so I never post just read read read. GL

#31 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Took update OTA after Rootkeeper.  Temp un-root then update.  Rootkeeper restored root no problem.  All is well.

Just to clarify: I have Voodoo OTA RootKeeper installed, with a good backup of root. I do the following:

1. Temp un-root (with Voodoo)

2. Accept the OTA Update

3. Restore root (with voodoo)?

Thanks.

#32 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

NO never temp unroot unless you absolutely have to....... I left root backed up in voodoo, then just updated, then restored root after flash and then had to update my su binary.

• Yo_Mama and livinginkaos like this

#33 just lou

just lou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

NO never temp unroot unless you absolutely have to....... I left root backed up in voodoo, then just updated, then restored root after flash and then had to update my su binary.

Interesting. I've always temporarily unrooted also before taking an OTA.  

#34 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:16 PM

Interesting. I've always temporarily unrooted also before taking an OTA.  

Lots seem to do it your way. I just feel why the heck would you ever give up root if you have it. I think there were some times where it was necessary, but for the most part I cant remember the last time I un-rooted before an update.

#35 just lou

just lou

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

Lots seem to do it your way. I just feel why the heck would you ever give up root if you have it. I think there were some times where it was necessary, but for the most part I cant remember the last time I un-rooted before an update.

Makes sense I guess. I remember when I first started rooting devices and using Voodoo, I read to temp unroot first and have just been doing it that way forever. 

#36 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

Well, I installed the update on my phone, didn't temp-unroot first.

It seems to have worked. I was able to restore root with Voodoo.

Thanks for the advice.

• cmh714 likes this

#37 Centurion

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Well, I installed the update on my phone, didn't temp-unroot first.
It seems to have worked. I was able to restore root with Voodoo.
Thanks for the advice.

Well did the same didn't temp un-root and lost root. And could not get it back. Choose to downgrade, and start over.

Sent from my Xoom Wifi using Tapatalk

#38 Centurion

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

Just to clarify: I have Voodoo OTA RootKeeper installed, with a good backup of root. I do the following:

1. Temp un-root (with Voodoo)

2. Accept the OTA Update

3. Restore root (with voodoo)?

Thanks.

Did this and got root back.... After I downgraded from my faux pas in the previous post.

#39 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

I cant say that it works all the time, but it always has for me and many others. But like I said, many do temp un-root first.

When I did my 912 the other day, I "sort of" lost root for a few seconds because when I went into Voodoo, the checkbox for su binary was un-checked. But after updating the su binary, Voodoo was able to restore.

#40 Snakeriverratt

Snakeriverratt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMN
  • Current Device(s):Razor Maxx

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thank You worked well.... 

I initially took the update oblivious to their intentions and lost root. After using the Utility and clean install with wipe, I re-rooted and installed S.S.  Installed Voodoo and took update. Handset is up to date and root restored.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users