94 replies to this topic

#41 omahamatt

omahamatt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

I took the update without using Voodoo, lost root. Freaked out, however, I used the Razr blade exploit and successfully got root access back. I consider myself lucky.

#42 universal_cynic

universal_cynic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin
  • Current Device(s):XT912

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

I just took the update but forgot to temp unroot using Voodoo.  Lost root. I am not able to get it back using Restore in Voodoo.  Also, razr blade was not able to regain root.  Not sure if this is contributing to the problem, but I froze Smart Action using TiBU and I am unable to un-freeze (since I don't have root) in order to turn on battery save mode (per razr blade instructions).  It says that the exploit was successful, but I do not have root access.

Somewhat related, I can't get Matt's Utility to open correctly.  I don't think I have the latest one (I'm downloading it, just taking a while), but I have 1.9, 1.82, 1.6.  It shows the ascii logo, but upon pressing any key it says the following:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I can close it by hitting enter, otherwise I can put in 1,2,3,etc and get the various options.  Anyone ever seen this?

#43 universal_cynic

universal_cynic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Here's what the utility (v1.6) says when I try to run it.  

Attached Files

#44 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

not to be mean, but it would help to read more before you go and use the utilities. and why would you use 1.6 when you have newer ones?

this is matts latest: 

the 1.9 version is Matts original that someone "updated" so not sure how that works. and his latest here is also dated as in has old FXZ files, so you can try it or update the various sections as you need.

OR

you can also use Sam House of Moto: 

Sams utility is more powerful and you can keep updating it with newer FXZ files. Its a framework. 

Thats for the files, as for your error, did you extract the zip file? are you running it from within the folder where you extracted to?

• Memnoch73 and possnfiffer like this

#45 mtylenol

mtylenol

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hi all I'm new to the forum.  I had rooted my phone using the razr_blade utility so that I could do the tether/wifi hotspot hack.  It worked great.  Problem is that I lost root when I took this update (rookie mistake forgot to use OTA Rootkeeper).  Before I go about trying to re-root, I was wondering if I had done the tether/wifi hotspot hack before, and have now lost root do I need to re-root again or since I changed the info in the file to obtain the hotspot hack- do I not need to worry?

Thanks!

#46 universal_cynic

universal_cynic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

I've used the utilities in the past, so I'm not questioning how to use them.  I'm reporting an error where I don't even see the list of options and I see this same issue on several past utilities that I have used and know used to work.  I did mention that I was downloading the latest one.  I now have it and it does the same thing as all of the other ones.  I am running windows 8, but it did the same thing on windows 7, which is what i was using previously when the utilities worked. 

#47 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

I've used the utilities in the past, so I'm not questioning how to use them.  I'm reporting an error where I don't even see the list of options and I see this same issue on several past utilities that I have used and know used to work.  I did mention that I was downloading the latest one.  I now have it and it does the same thing as all of the other ones.  I am running windows 8, but it did the same thing on windows 7, which is what i was using previously when the utilities worked. 

What did you use to extract the zip file?? Try WinRar

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#48 universal_cynic

universal_cynic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

I used 7zip to unzip.  

#49 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

I used 7zip to unzip.

Yeah.... 7zip is great for most things..... Unzipping the utilities ..... Not so much...:) WinZip and winrar are about the best...:)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#50 universal_cynic

universal_cynic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

I'm a dumbass.  I didn't have the folder on the desktop.  Some day I will follow all of the instructions.  

Still couldn't get it to root.

#51 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Did you downgrade first? I've only seen a couple day they were able to Rog without downgrading.

Sent From My DEV X

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#52 universal_cynic

universal_cynic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

I ended up wiping and a fresh install, rooting, protecting with voodoo, and then updating.  starting to wonder if it was worth all of this since i can upgrade in a month...

#53 TwoBuells

TwoBuells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

I took the OTA update. running stock rom and did not lose root

Better to be a Racer for a moment, Than a Spectator for a lifetime.

#54 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

I lost root and voodoo won't restore it. Weird

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#55 claps1775

claps1775

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • LocationIowa. Close to the University of Iowa.

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

I protected my root but fails when I update lol. So not sure why the update fails. If you have unlimited data. Do not upgrade. Buy a newer phone used or new. What I am going to do in a 4-6 months.

I have Moto Razr....I will cut you.

To powerful to fall into my hands. Click......Rooted. ICS rommed!!!!! Muhahahahah!!!!

#56 hakarune

hakarune

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:hakarune
  • Google+:103460798847241997563

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

Took the plunge and updated via OTA, but Voodoo didn't/wouldn't restore Root.

Used RAZR Blade exploit to re-root phone.

#57 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

Look and see if the checkbox for the su binary in Voodoo is still checked. Mine wasnt after the OTA, but a quick update to su binary and then Voodoo was checked and I could restore. 

Since we know that Razr_Blade works we can for the most part rest comfortably.

• Berq likes this

#58 Guest_dullawolf_*

Guest_dullawolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I just took the update but forgot to temp unroot using Voodoo.  Lost root. I am not able to get it back using Restore in Voodoo.  Also, razr blade was not able to regain root.  Not sure if this is contributing to the problem, but I froze Smart Action using TiBU and I am unable to un-freeze (since I don't have root) in order to turn on battery save mode (per razr blade instructions).  It says that the exploit was successful, but I do not have root access.

Somewhat related, I can't get Matt's Utility to open correctly.  I don't think I have the latest one (I'm downloading it, just taking a while), but I have 1.9, 1.82, 1.6.  It shows the ascii logo, but upon pressing any key it says the following:

I can close it by hitting enter, otherwise I can put in 1,2,3,etc and get the various options.  Anyone ever seen this?

good news for you!! freezing apps from TiBu is the same as disabling the app with the now built in feature to disable apps you dont use. all you should have to do is go to settings > applications > all applications > scroll down to the very bottom and you should be able to find smart actions. enable it and boom shakalaka it should work. Let me know if it does. 

#59 Guest_dullawolf_*

Guest_dullawolf_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

yea... I've been trying Razr Blade multiple times and keep getting the following:

Press any key to continue . . .
1158 KB/s (3477 bytes in 0.002s)
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase four...
4601 KB/s (543080 bytes in 0.115s)
3154 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.578s)
3114 KB/s (476557 bytes in 0.149s)
1934 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.032s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!

I also uninstalled Voodoo to make sure that wasn't interfering.

try RAZR Blade. If it fails, they did not up the security, so you should be able to downgrade, root with RAZR Blade, protect root, update, then restore root.

Sent From My DEV X

Razr blade won't work as it needs fresh smart actions to do it's thing. You will need to downgrade.

May help may not but I have 3 maxxs' so as you might guess I'm pretty finger frolicky restoring root. A few helpers that seem to catch exploit when all fails. First connect as normal. If mount issues try storage erase internal several times while ext SD is unmounted. 3-4 times it will stick and you can proceed with Matt's. Now here's how I catch that sh, log wrapper etc etc pain. Clean Google main apps, and art actions, as well. I generally freeze them accept main smart actions app. Now do a fresh flash with Matt's or RSD and pay attention. As soon as radio is sent phone reboots, you have to catch it right then with all three buttons to put into boot loader then boot TOOLS only. It won't recover it will straight boot. Then go ahead set up acct. Reclean smart and Google . USB debug third party apps etc. And start Matt's or fans root until. When phone reboots again catch it before it turns on again and push it through boot loader tools each time it reboots during exploit. Never let it reboot and recover or boot normally until you've flashed and ran the utility to completion. Secure superuser and SS or BMM or Cwm then go ahead and let it reboot to recovery. The key for all 3 of mine was to catch the reboot and send it through TaoOLS only but its a solid win. Peace.

Did you downgrade first? I've only seen a couple day they were able to Rog without downgrading.

Sent From My DEV X

RAZR Blade does work. 

Couple things to keep in mind

1. if frozen/disabled, re-enable smart actions. from the app drawer press and hold smart actions and drag the app to info. clear data and clear cache for smart actions. 

2. select smart actions and skip all the bs. select battery saver and select save

3. make sure usb debugging is enabled

4. go to the drop down and make sure you select Media Device(MTP) it wont work if mass storage is selected. 

5.  extract .zip to desktop if you haven't already

6.  run .bat as administrator

7. follow instructions after running .bat

8. profit

you are welcome. 

• Berq and cmh714 like this

#60 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

RAZR Blade does work. 

Couple things to keep in mind

1. if frozen/disabled, re-enable smart actions. from the app drawer press and hold smart actions and drag the app to info. clear data and clear cache for smart actions. 

2. select smart actions and skip all the bs. select battery saver and select save

3. make sure usb debugging is enabled

4. go to the drop down and make sure you select Media Device(MTP) it wont work if mass storage is selected. 

5.  extract .zip to desktop if you haven't already

6.  run .bat as administrator

7. follow instructions after running .bat

8. profit

you are welcome. 

This assumes the person has frozen SA very early on. Once SA is updated through the play store just clearing data and cache will not help. AFAIK

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users