Well I finally made the plunge into development/themeing. I have taken the stock boot animation zip and reworked and themed it. I take no credit for any of this, even the work I did was heavily influenced by HouseMD and 24V, without them, I would not have succeeded. What I want to post here is the easiest and safest way (that I have found) to initialize the use of the custom boot. This also assumes that you are using a CDMA phone.
1. Assuming nothing, I will start at the beginning; you must have root access to your phone, so if you don't have root, then go here and get your root on...
2. Once rooted and set up, make sure you have a root file explorer, I prefer ES File Explorer.
3. Now the fun stuff. Download your bootanimation.zip file to your ext. sd card. Remember, this file must remain named this and stay a zip.
4. Now I want you to go to the following location: /system/media folder an long press on the bootanimation.zip file, when the white menu pops up, navigate to rename:
5. Now lets move the new bootanimation.zip file to your /system/media folder, using the above methods.
6. Long press on the new bootanimation. zip file and go down to properties.
make sure you change your permissions to look like this:
Hit ok. Navigate to your main page and reboot...good luck!
Edited by Brian, 10 August 2012 - 06:42 AM.