#1 skeetch79

skeetch79

F&F Chemist

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Twitter:OrgoChemMan
  • LocationWest Milford, NJ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Moto X DevEd, Nexus 7 WiFi (2013)

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

I have a favor to ask strictly for Galaxy S4 Developer Edition Device owners!!

I am looking for some testers to try out a ROM I built off of my I545OYUEMK2 image. As I said, it is based off of my system.img.ext4 dump which came from my phone on I545OYUEMK2. It is only the system partition (so no worries about boot images, etc - but includes kernels). I slimmed down the system partition by removing a bunch of bloatware, how to videos, lost+found folder and some Samsung files. I deodexed both the system and framework folders. I also ZipAligned and enabled init.d. I added the "Volume Boost Moderate" modification, but I left the original backed-up of the sound files within the "/system/etc/snd_soc_msm/" folder if at any time you wish to revert to stock or switch back and forth (the extension I gave the originals is "origStock". At the time, it only seems to flash through Safestrap v3.71 (http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2441441) on any slot. I tried using Philz Touch Recovery, and it flashes without errors, but I fail to get any Wifi/Cellular service and thus cannot bypass the activation screen. I haven't figured that issue out. Since the unpacked file is large, it will eat up a good deal of space. I am using the default System size setting (about 2600-2700MB), changed the Data size setting to 3500MB and left the default Cache size setting alone (about 300MB).

I would prefer testers on another build other than I545OYUEMK2 or I545OYUEMJ7 - I545OYUAMDK would be ideal. But anyone can give it a go. to me it feels snappier and less loaded down with "crap".

It contains SuperSu in the system/app directory. I also added Titanium Backup, Greenify, JRummy's Root Browser, Nova Launcher, Dash Clock and Twisted Home Manager also to the system/app directory.

I removed:
Amazon Shopping
Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Amazon Appstore
Ant Hal/Radio Services
Audible
Blurb
Caller Name ID
Epson Print Service
Flipboard
Google Drive
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Movies and TV
Google Play Newsstand
Google Plus
Group Play
HP Print Services
IMDB
Internet (The "other" Browser - Samsung's. Chrome was left on the device)
KLMS Agent
Knox 3.0
Knox 1.0
Knox Notification Manager
Knox Store
Messaging (Samsung's stock messaging app. Hangouts is left on the device)
Mobile Print
Mobile Tracker
Mobile Print Services
My Files (Samsung's file explorer. JRummy's Root Browser is in its place)
NFL Mobile
Polaris Office
S Health
S Memo
S Note Provider
S Translator
Samsung Books
Samsung Games
Samsung Hub
Samsung Music
Samsung Video
Samsung WatchOn
Security Poly Updates
SNS
Story Album
Story Album Widget
Travel 1.0
Travel Wallpaper
TripAdvisor
Verizon Remote Diagnostics
Verizon Support & Protection
Verizon Tones
Vz Navigator
Yahoo! Finance
Yahoo! News

If this works for you and wish to see any of the above mentioned apps restored, please let me know. I should also be able to provide each individual apk upon request.

I will upload the ROM zip file in a bit and will come back and post a link. Please let me know if there are any takers and if you install it, any feedback would be welcome. I am still unsure whether this will load properly in MDK, but if would be nice to find out. If all goes well, I can create a full (with all bloatware and files left in tact), deodexed I545OYUEMK2 ROM for you to flash. But, first things first! :)

I also have stock boot/recoveries and stock modem/radios posted in this thread for builds AMDK, EMJ7 and EMK2: http://www.droidrzr....demmdk-mj7-mk2/

Edit: New links to follow. It has been confirmed that the MK2 based ROM will not load off of a MDK system. So I created a ROM based off of MDK as well.  I will upload both the MDK and MK2 ROMs sometime today.

I was receiving errors when trying to deodex the MDK, so for now it is just rooted stock, which is debloated and zipaligned.

#2 Captain Crypto

Captain Crypto

Decoding Your Secrets

• 1,086 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4 Black Mist Developer, A700, Nook Color

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

I really wish I could help but my phone is my lifeline to my job. I'm on it all day long. In fact, I'm not getting any fun at all with it because it's a highly sensitive thing for me to keep healthy.

Quite frankly it was a waste for me to buy a Dev.

Sent from my SCH-I545 DEV

#3 skeetch79

skeetch79

F&F Chemist

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hey it is all good. I totally understand. This phone is as locked down as its counterpart, the retail edition. Wish it was more developer friendly

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#4 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I really wish I could help but my phone is my lifeline to my job. I'm on it all day long. In fact, I'm not getting any fun at all with it because it's a highly sensitive thing for me to keep healthy.

Quite frankly it was a waste for me to buy a Dev.

But if you were paying retail anyway, it was the same $'s.

Hey it is all good. I totally understand. This phone is as locked down as its counterpart, the retail edition. Wish it was more developer friendly

I'll try it out tomorrow, but I don't fit your version criteria :)

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#5 sparky697

sparky697

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Twitter:sparky697

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

I'm on an mdk dev but not using SS. I could try flashing it with philz if you need me to. It'll have to be tomorrow night though.

#6 skeetch79

skeetch79

F&F Chemist

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

I'm on an mdk dev but not using SS. I could try flashing it with philz if you need me to. It'll have to be tomorrow night though.

You can surely try it with Philz (MAKE A BACK UP FIRST!). There isn't a boot image included with this so there may be some disagreement between your phone being on MDK and then trying to flash a MK2 build. Also as I said, it flashes fine with Philz, but I was never able to resolve the issue of no Cell/Wifi signal. It would show a circle with a line through it where the signal icon should be. I just uploaded the separate boot and recovery tar md5's for MDK, MJ7 and MK2 builds in my other thread. SS would be the best option.

#7 Captain Crypto

Captain Crypto

Decoding Your Secrets

• 1,086 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

But if you were paying retail anyway, it was the same $'s.

True, but because I need to be so friggin' careful to not accidentally lock the bootloader, I've done absolutely nothing.  Sure, that's my fault but still, it's like not wanting to drop an egg.

#8 skeetch79

skeetch79

F&F Chemist

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

True, but because I need to be so friggin' careful to not accidentally lock the bootloader, I've done absolutely nothing.  Sure, that's my fault but still, it's like not wanting to drop an egg.

Haha! As long as you bootloader is unlocked right now, installing safestrap and then this ROM will not lock you. Even uninstalling SafeStrap Recovery and SafeStrap itself will not lock you. I have the Developer MDK, MJ7 and MK2 stock recoveries posted in another thread if you ever need to load them through Odin.

But if you are uncomfortable it is all good and I understand.

#9 Captain Crypto

Captain Crypto

Decoding Your Secrets

• 1,086 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Haha! As long as you bootloader is unlocked right now, installing safestrap and then this ROM will not lock you. Even uninstalling SafeStrap Recovery and SafeStrap itself will not lock you. I have the Developer MDK, MJ7 and MK2 stock recoveries posted in another thread if you ever need to load them through Odin.

But if you are uncomfortable it is all good and I understand.

Well now this I didn't know! Gimme til the weekend to consider it.

#10 skeetch79

skeetch79

F&F Chemist

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Kaos, ddid you happen to try out the ROM? 

I am currently on making my n00b attempt a little better. Should have that one uploaded soon. I just need to know that this will work on earlier Developer Edition builds - builds before MK2/MJ7 - or just in general I guess! :-).

#11 skeetch79

skeetch79

F&F Chemist

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

I uploaded the ROM to my Dropbox account. It is built off of MDK so you guys on MDK should hopefully not have any issues. If you are on MJ7 or MK2 it won't boot properly. At this point run it through safestrap. Create a rom slot. Factory reset the slot (not necessary but why not lol) Install it to that slot. Reboot. First boot may take a minute or two. There is no boot image included, just system. I removed most of the bloat and some extra stuff that doesn't matter. Let me know how it goes. Thanks again. https://www.dropbox....AMDK_022014.zip Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#12 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Just waiting for the good version :) actually been swamped. I will try to work this in tomorrow. Been forever since I've safe strapped.

Sent From My DEV X

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#13 rocket

rocket

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:53 AM

I will help test it, I have a semi working RAZR M, unlocked but the radio is broken, but everything works as gar as loading ROMS. I had it on GSM but that is all messed up, lol. But everything works other than making calls and SMS, let me know

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Developer, Edition, Galaxy, S4, ROM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users