41 replies to this topic

#1 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Twitter:buckeyestilidie@yahoo.com

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Is there a way to unlock the bootloader of the Maxx HD? I am debating on upgrading from the Razr to the Maxx HD because I can do it for only about 50 bucks with no contract. Also if it's unlocked what special things can I do if it's not unlocked?? Thanks for anyone who responds in advance.

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Nope..  :(

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

Nope.. :(

Even if I get an older Maxx HD?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#4 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:02 AM

Not unless you find one that has not been turned on since last May. Otherwise they will have been updated. There have been 3 updates since the version that was able to unlock.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#5 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:25 AM

If you are looking to buy one, Swappa usually has one or two listed that have been unlocked. Just be sure it's boot loader not Sim unlocked. Another place is eBay. Many times there are sellers that have older devices. You just need to communicate with them to find the system version to see if it did the bill.

Sent From My DEV X

• Memnoch73 and johnthehillbilly like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#6 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:37 AM

If you are looking to buy one, Swappa usually has one or two listed that have been unlocked. Just be sure it's boot loader not Sim unlocked. Another place is eBay. Many times there are sellers that have older devices. You just need to communicate with them to find the system version to see if it did the bill.

Sent From My DEV X

What system version should I be looking for??

#7 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Not unless you find one that has not been turned on since last May. Otherwise they will have been updated. There have been 3 updates since the version that was able to unlock.

Also there's no way to dumb it down to the original and kinda like wipe out the updates?

#8 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

No. They update the security and it won't allow you to downgrade.

Sent From My DEV X

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#9 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

No. They update the security and it won't allow you to downgrade.

Sent From My DEV X

Well that sucks lol do you know what system version I should look for??

#10 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

9.16.6 or older

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#11 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Well that sucks lol do you know what system version I should look for??

9.16.6 or older

Doubtful you will find a phone on an old system version you need to find a seller that is already unlocked

• livinginkaos likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#12 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Also I might add if you are looking to get an off contract older phone there are better choices than the HD. The HD is a dying breed unlocked or not as much as the OG Razr. Why not grab a Droid DNA or HTC One which are both fully unlockable and have more Dev attention.

• livinginkaos likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#13 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Also I might add if you are looking to get an off contract older phone there are better choices than the HD. The HD is a dying breed unlocked or not as much as the OG Razr. Why not grab a Droid DNA or HTC One which are both fully unlockable and have more Dev attention.

I love the huge battery. Also do they cost more? Found an unlocked limited edition for 250.

#14 Zeljko1234

Zeljko1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD, Atrix 4G, Nexus 7, LG G Pad 8.3

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

HTC, no sd card, less capable battery... Razr hd, even og razr beat them in usability. Vendors today just think how to put (and sell) mostly useless horse power and high resolution screen in thinner as possible devices. Users just buy without thinking and then walk around with charger or external battery like zombies :D

Reminds me to old times when we're buying overheating cpu, gpu, etc just to play games.

#15 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

HTC, no sd card, less capable battery... Razr hd, even og razr beat them in usability. Vendors today just think how to put (and sell) mostly useless horse power and high resolution screen in thinner as possible devices. Users just buy without thinking and then walk around with charger or external battery like zombies :D

Reminds me to old times when we're buying overheating cpu, gpu, etc just to play games.

Pardon me if I disagree here. I have had both the OG Razr and the HD and my DNA smokes them both easily. It's crazy fast, no battery issues for me, have a wireless charger at work that I throw it on once in a while, haven't missed the SD card one bit. Having less storage keeps me organized. Don't use that app, dump it. Need some new music, swap it out. 

Have had the DNA since release day a year and half ago. It's the longest I've kept a phone. Easily the best phone I've had to date. Still holds up against the ones coming out now. And slated to get KK in the next few weeks. Oh yeah and fully unocked, rooted and S-off...

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#16 Zeljko1234

Zeljko1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD, Atrix 4G, Nexus 7, LG G Pad 8.3

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Is DNA battery last as on Maxx? Btw, HTC is well know with their supports and upgrade.

Don't get me wrong but you sound like someone who defends your device even with obviously disadvantages. Razr is not the best device out there, far from the fastest but with big battery, internal memory, sd card, hdmi, kevlar, hd amoled... still one of the best on the market and could be found quite cheap. Of course if you're not addicted to benchmarking.

Also, I thought that this topic is about unlocking Motorola xt926 not recommending HTC or any other devices ;)

#17 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

It was about the possibility of unlocking a device that he hadn't decided to get yet, so the suggestion of other devices is fair game.

The lack of SD card is something that we are all dealing with on devices moving forward, and there are several options there, meenova for one.

The DNA gets awesome battery life, comparable to the Maxx HD, if not better depending on the rom and settings.

The choice of any device is soley the buyer's choice. Everyone "feels" a phone differently and should never buy one without at the very least holding one and messing with it.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#18 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

Meh.. I'm not defending my phone. I'm just stating what has worked for me for a year and a half. If the disadvantages were too high I would just get something else as I have in the past.

Was just giving him the best bang for his buck IMO. 

Just disagreed with what you had said so I was giving my side that's all. Wasn't trying to argue or force him into a choice that was not right for him. Phones are very personal and everyone needs to make the choice that is best for them.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#19 buckeyestilidie

buckeyestilidie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

I love the recommendations. I might go with HD only because the SD is a huge selling point. Does the DNA battery really come close to the HD? What about speed? If I can find a unlocked HD I'll probably go with that, but if not I'll look for a DNA.

#20 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

I love the recommendations. I might go with HD only because the SD is a huge selling point. Does the DNA battery really come close to the HD? What about speed? If I can find a unlocked HD I'll probably go with that, but if not I'll look for a DNA.

My wife has the regular HD and my phone is way faster. The battery life on a maxx will probably be better if that's what you need. I don't really try to get through the day on one charge because of my wireless charger which is easy to throw my phone on while at my desk.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users