• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 carracerz14

carracerz14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

On my 3rd razr maxx for different issues. Rooted all 3, haven't had a problem yet :D

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

#22 carracerz14

carracerz14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

This is similar to the flash counter on Samsung. But they can reset with a utility I believe

#23 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

John I'm curious also. Has anyone tried a full fxz not hob back to 905 or even 902 to see if it resets. That would ease a lot of peeps minds (mine). I still have till Dec with warranty. Like I said earlier tho, I usually send mine back in a pine box.

Yes, that and a lot more has been tried. Does not reset.

On my 3rd razr maxx for different issues. Rooted all 3, haven't had a problem yet :D

Keep trying it. It's still new, not even a year old yet. Bet all of a sudden you will have a problem.

#24 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Why does anyone actually care about this? I've sent several phones now back to VZW rooted, unrooted, never been rooted an so long as the reason your making a repair claim didn't come from the fact that your are rooted, there is nothing they can do to you, even if they pretend they can.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#25 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

A partition we cannot access. My bet is maybe cid I want to try some tests.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

If we fastboot flash our recovery image again, doesn't that reset the info in that partition?

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#26 droidian1441

droidian1441

News Leader

• News Team Leader
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):HTC One M8 (primary); Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

A partition we cannot access. My bet is maybe cid I want to try some tests.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

If you do do some tests, don't test your Atrix HD. The CID is not worth it again. :D

HTC One M8 // 3.28.605.4 // CleanROM 3.0 w/HarmonKardon audio // Android 4.4.4
n5SOtgv.jpg - "White Noise" out November 4th!
(Recommended)

#27 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

Why does anyone actually care about this? I've sent several phones now back to VZW rooted, unrooted, never been rooted an so long as the reason your making a repair claim didn't come from the fact that your are rooted, there is nothing they can do to you, even if they pretend they can.

because this is new. But it may enable VZW to enact sweeping changes on how unscrupulous users try to buck the system, *AND* screw legit users over at the same time - those that have rooted but have not done anything with root that can possibly cause the issue they are experiencing but will still be barred from a warranty replacement all because they are rooted.

If we fastboot flash our recovery image again, doesn't that reset the info in that partition?

Nope. P3ddroid tested it in many ways. If you're on a GB ROM on the BIONIC, having never upgraded to ICS leaks at all, you're pretty safe. Once you upgrade, my understanding is that the info is there permanently.

If you do do some tests, don't test your Atrix HD. The CID is not worth it again. :D

lol so true....

#28 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

because this is new. But it may enable VZW to enact sweeping changes on how unscrupulous users try to buck the system, *AND* screw legit users over at the same time - those that have rooted but have not done anything with root that can possibly cause the issue they are experiencing but will still be barred from a warranty replacement all because they are rooted.

Just to clear this up for you and anyone who has any misconception about rooting and your warranty. Just rooting your phone does not give Moto or VZW the ability to void your entire warranty. While this has been discussed ad nauseum both here and on XDA you can

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#29 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

I did not say Motorola in my reply, I said VZW. Currently their policy is to "not check for root" but now that they have a sure fire way of checking if the phone was ever rooted, it could open the door for some potentially damaging policy changes on VZW's part.
  • kingrazr likes this

#30 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

I did not say Motorola in my reply, I said VZW. Currently their policy is to "not check for root" but now that they have a sure fire way of checking if the phone was ever rooted, it could open the door for some potentially damaging policy changes on VZW's part.

There are laws in place that govern said "policy changes" one if which, a federal law known as the magnusson-moss act prevents any company that deals with the public and chooses to offer any type of warranty from denying claims against said warranty for reasons unrelated malfunctions.

That being said, simply rooting a device doesn't void it's warranty nor does it afford Moto/VZW the ability to deny your claims without proving that your rooting of the device caused it. Please, don't spread misinformation.

#31 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

There are laws in place that govern said "policy changes" one if which, a federal law known as the magnusson-moss act prevents any company that deals with the public and chooses to offer any type of warranty from denying claims against said warranty for reasons unrelated malfunctions.

That being said, simply rooting a device doesn't void it's warranty nor does it afford Moto/VZW the ability to deny your claims without proving that your rooting of the device caused it. Please, don't spread misinformation.

This. Times 10
Don't lose sleep over it.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#32 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,371 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Weird. Mine shows 1/1...wonder how that happened! Stupid house of Bionic must be to blame. :D

(for those that don't know me yet, that was a sarcastic joke. :))

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
  • humbleopus and Tucknology like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#33 Maddog241

Maddog241

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

What if warranty isn't the only motivation for putting this check in place? I can't remember if they have the ability to remotely "see" this information, but what if they were to take this to the point of denying network access to rooted devices? Could they do that? They are the bootloader Nazis....
Keeper of wayward wallaroos and ostracized Ostriches

#34 doshjaniels

doshjaniels

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Twitter:ohaiimjoshkbai

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

if my phone breaks... ill buy a new one..

#35 dfib

dfib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Twitter:Dfib1

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

What if warranty isn't the only motivation for putting this check in place? I can't remember if they have the ability to remotely "see" this information, but what if they were to take this to the point of denying network access to rooted devices? Could they do that? They are the bootloader Nazis....

I don't think so for 2 reasons I know of.
1. It is not illegal to root your phone.
2. The block C rules says that we can use any device in any which way on 4g (I paraphrased a little there :))

If Verizon pushed the issue I think they would have a class action law suit to deal with.

#36 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Dfib is right. VZW already got the pants fined off them for trying to deny service for a similar situation. Trust me, they've learned their lesson.

#37 Maddog241

Maddog241

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:45 AM

I was just throwing some guesses out there. If rooting isn't "illegal", then why bother putting a monitor in place? It makes no sense to include something like that in multiple phones if it won't be used somehow. We have seen Big Red blatantly disregard rules designed for them before, so it kind of scares me what they might do with this.
Keeper of wayward wallaroos and ostracized Ostriches

#38 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

We have seen Big Red blatantly disregard rules designed for them before, so it kind of scares me what they might do with this.

Exactly.

Sent from my rooted BIONIC running ICS 6.7.235 via Tapatalk 2

#39 crashdogy

crashdogy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Just FYI call Motorola today about some issues with razer maxx. They knew the phone had been rooted, the phone has not been out of my hands ever I got it a Verizon store?

So then they sent me to tech level 2, said it’s under warranty need to send it in for repair. After they receive it I’ll get it back in 5 business days No coast to me.

#40 carracerz14

carracerz14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

That's fishy.... It's like the time I called verizon and they told me to do a factory reset and I told them I did even though I didn't because I knew it wouldn't fix my issue. They knew I didn't reset it he said it doesn't show a factory reset had been done. Led me to wonder what else they could see

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: root, Motorola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users