• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

Here is a little backstory on "how" I managed to get this update. The member DroidRazrAZ told me of an old method that our Motorola Atrix peeps used to unlock their bootloader. A thing called Project Cheesecake was created in an effort to pull development OTA updates from Motorola's private servers. Using their cheesecake.apk program I pinged multiple servers on it for the last few days. I struck the gold mine last night (January 10th) and hit an active server with a new update. I quickly downloaded said update (6.12.173.en.US) and uploaded it to share with some developers I knew. I reverted to stock .744 with the fastboot files,rooted, OTA rootkeeper'd into .748, then OTA rootkeeper'd again, but this time installing the update .zip file from my SD card via the stock Moto Recovery menu. After a long time of waiting, it installed successfully and now I am here to share my gold with the rest of you.

BUG LIST:
  • Force close on App Drawer when you hit the search button.

Now before you read on i just want to let everyone no, that mattlgroff messaged me late last night with his findings. I then told him to sit on them and lets look at them. We looked at the files , along with two other peeps and all tested the file. I can tell you that the file is a signed update. This file will upgrade your radio, bootloader, and kernel. We apologize if we made the file out to be a OTA , that it is not. this is UNOFFICIAL. So to reassure you this has been tested by not only me DirtyDroidX , but by many others and we all can experiment with this and still return your phone back to normal, well the important parts that matter. So have fun and enjoy.

Mattlgroff,myself, or Droidrzr are not liable for anything that may happen to your phone. If it bricks,bumps, looses your wallet , starts thermal nuclear war with your neighbor. Makes you late for work cause your alarm didn't go off. Pretty much anything that you can imagine that can happen or happens WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IT.

Before you ask:
  • No, this is not ICS.
  • No, this does not unlock the bootloader as far as I am aware.
  • It updates you from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6
  • LTE radio is upgraded
  • Webtop is upgraded
  • Bloatware is added
  • Settings GUI is changed around
  • Fastboot restore working.
You can download this exclusively from us at droidrzr.com
The filenames are exact from Motorola. The 6.11.748.zip brings you UP to 6.12.173 and vice versa.

Upgrade to 6.12.173:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

<-- Brings you to 6.12.173

MD5: aa7fe6290c0d3a60253922bac413da02

Downgrade to stock 6.11.744:

You can find the full rsd.lite fastboot package to return back to stock >>>>

Downgrade to 6.11.748:

Or downgrade by installing

(Brings you to 6.11.748)
zip brought to you by arcanexvi instead of RSD Lite back to 6.11.748. (Doesn't require a wipe according to arcanexvi)

Posted Image

Screenshots/Pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
It says:
AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
0A.6C
To return to normal mode-first press power key to power down

Device is LOCKED. Status Code: 0

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

Edited by mattlgroff, 14 January 2012 - 11:40 AM.
added bug list

• Bignadad, DroidRazrAZ, mugsy77 and 4 others like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

great write up bro.

And yes his instructions are spot on. If you follow them you will be good to go.

#3 DarkestSpawn

DarkestSpawn

Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

Are you able to fast boot back after this update? Remember we have some Bionic users who were doing this cheesecake method/downloading provided linkes and are unable to restore 100% to stock.(Please correct me if Im wrong, as I havent checked in on that for a while. I know P3Droid had posted a how to along with files to get back on the upgrade path)
-Beta Mod-
-Grand Master of the Testing-

Posted Image

#4 Bignadad

Bignadad

Dev/Design Extrordinare

• Developer
  • 283 posts
  • Twitter:bignadad
  • Google+:bignadad
  • LocationBishopville, SC
  • Current Device(s):DroidX, Bionic, Dinc2, Razr Maxx, Razr HD Maxx, Gnex, Nex7, Xyboard

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

Can anyone on this new OTA update get skiwong a system dump?

Need to update RazrX

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Bignadad

Bignadad

Dev/Design Extrordinare

• Developer
  • 283 posts
  • Current Device(s):DroidX, Bionic, Dinc2, Razr Maxx, Razr HD Maxx, Gnex, Nex7, Xyboard

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

Also, anyone on this update.. can you confirm that my Odex ICS theme works on it? it should work just fine

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Nice find, however that said IMHO folks need to be VERY VERY careful messing with files grabbed via Cheesecake. You may take yourself off upgrade path and NEVER be able to get back on it like many of us got stuck on the Bionic files. Luckily there was a way figured out to get back on path but that was months down the road from the first leak. So everyone should know full well what they are facing if they do decide to grab files using Cheesecake and installing them. That all said if anyone on a stock Razr can check for the update plz do so. If it is there plz grab a copy of the *.zip from your phone and post a link to it so we have the ACTUAL ota update file. If you do plz mark it or in the post it is the OTA file pulled fmr VZW's network not cheesecake. TIA

#7 nitroglycerine33

nitroglycerine33

Mr. Eclipse

• Developer
  • 224 posts
  • Twitter:nitroglycerin33
  • LocationIowa

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

Another thing to mention about cheesecake updates. Even if the cheesecake update is the same build number as an official update, chances are it is not the same thing. The cheesecake updates sometimes carry a different hash than the official.
Posted Image
Donations are not expected but always greatly appreciated. Thank you for supporting Eclipse Rom!
Follow me on Twitter @nitroglycerin33

#8 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

Another thing to mention about cheesecake updates. Even if the cheesecake update is the same build number as an official update, chances are it is not the same thing. The cheesecake updates sometimes carry a different hash than the official.

Excellent point as well as I totally forgot about that part.

#9 nitroglycerine33

nitroglycerine33

Mr. Eclipse

• Developer
  • 224 posts
  • Twitter:nitroglycerin33
  • LocationIowa

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

Has anybody tried to fastboot back to the 744 system after applying this?
Posted Image
Donations are not expected but always greatly appreciated. Thank you for supporting Eclipse Rom!
Follow me on Twitter @nitroglycerin33

#10 DarkestSpawn

DarkestSpawn

Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Ive been in chat all day and none of the Members there have besides one or two, but they didnt answer me when I asked. =(

EDIT:
VantenKiest
I was able to get back with fastboot
But
VantenKiest

you need to do it again after
VantenKiest
seems to mess with the moto accounts
-Beta Mod-
-Grand Master of the Testing-

Posted Image

#11 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Confirmed by VantenKiest that you can fastboot back to .744 stock. However, he had to do it twice.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#12 Guest_Jolly_*

Guest_Jolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Confirmed by VantenKiest that you can fastboot back to .744 stock. However, he had to do it twice.

Have you confirmed it yourself?

#13 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

Have you confirmed it yourself?

I can when my roommate is done using my USB cord to charge his Galaxy S II.

#14 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Got a PM from a user:
"I have been reading through the thread and since I am not a developer, I can not reply to the thread itself so I figured I would just send a PM. I flashed the leaked OTA early this morning (probably one of the first to do so besides yourself). After reading about the concerns, I decided to test the fastbool files since I have nothing but time on my hands. I connect my phones in fastboot mode, ran rsd 5.6, my phone suuccessfully retruned to 744 after just one flash of the fastboot files. I booted up, checked for updates and my phone is currently downloading 748. I have a screenshot of my phone with 6.12.173 prior to fastboot, then again with 744, after 748 installs I will take a screenshot again. This shows that the fastboot files do take you fully back to stock and the leak will not interfere with the upgrade path. If it interfered, I would not be able to upgrade from 744 to 748. I understand if the word of a regular user (flashing since 2009) is not enough and you need a dev to verify but just wanted to let you know what I was able to do."
  • tommyleeruiz likes this

#15 Guest_Jolly_*

Guest_Jolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

I can when my roommate is done using my USB cord to charge his Galaxy S II.

Okay but from here on out Fastboot needs to be verified before we post these files. Repost the link.

#16 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

Okay but from here on out Fastboot needs to be verified before we post these files. Repost the link.

Worked for DirtyDroidX last night.

Link reposted.

#17 Guest_Jolly_*

Guest_Jolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Worked for DirtyDroidX last night.

Link reposted.

Yeah that should have been listed in the OP and it should not have been sold as an OTA. The goal is to provide accurate responsible information.

#18 Bignadad

Bignadad

Dev/Design Extrordinare

• Developer
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

Everything is good here.. Jolly just wants to make sure that we don't have a bunch of our Valued DroidRzr.com members bumped off the upgrade path..

Great work on getting this out and tested :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Guest_Jolly_*

Guest_Jolly_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Everything is good here.. Jolly just wants to make sure that we don't have a bunch of our Valued DroidRzr.com members bumped off the upgrade path..

Great work on getting this out and tested :)

Exactly the Bionic was a nightmare for those users

#20 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Got a PM from a user:
"I have been reading through the thread and since I am not a developer, I can not reply to the thread itself so I figured I would just send a PM. I flashed the leaked OTA early this morning (probably one of the first to do so besides yourself). After reading about the concerns, I decided to test the fastbool files since I have nothing but time on my hands. I connect my phones in fastboot mode, ran rsd 5.6, my phone suuccessfully retruned to 744 after just one flash of the fastboot files. I booted up, checked for updates and my phone is currently downloading 748. I have a screenshot of my phone with 6.12.173 prior to fastboot, then again with 744, after 748 installs I will take a screenshot again. This shows that the fastboot files do take you fully back to stock and the leak will not interfere with the upgrade path. If it interfered, I would not be able to upgrade from 744 to 748. I understand if the word of a regular user (flashing since 2009) is not enough and you need a dev to verify but just wanted to let you know what I was able to do."

Yes i can assure everyone that this is safe and you will not be stuck on it. It was a typo this morning we where both tired but we and two others tested it before i told matt to write it up. I would never let someone release any files that would leave anyone stuck. I have to look out for whats best for you guys. So if i found out that you could not come back or there was no root method . This would not be posted.
So with that said yes it is safe,safe,safe.

PLEASE REREAD THE ENTIRE FIRST POST BY MATT,.THANK YOU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users