• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vakharia

vakharia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:35 AM

The Droid Maxx and Droid Ultra are global phones. They are supposed to work on GSM networks outside US and there are many reports that they do infact.

On XDA there are users reporting success in Germany, Italy, Australia and India as well.

But, I now know three phones (including mine) which DO NOT see work with GSM SIM's.

There is probably a pattern here, but I am not sure:

1. These phones are in India. The frequency is not a problem, since the same people own multiple phones and the other Droids work fine on the same network.

2. These are phones which have been imported into India have not been activated on Verizon before leaving US shores.

3. These phones do not work in Global or even LTE/ GSM modes

4. In some cases, certain SIM's do work momentarily, and then the phone throws out an invalid SIM message.

5. Data access is possible in some of the cases, with manual APN settings. But voice is not working.

6. Verizon Global Support cannot help since the phones are NOT on VZ network.

7. The phones are not associated with any account, so tech support can do nothing.

8. One tech support guy mentioned that he could SIM unlock the phone for global use, but for that the phone has to be associated with an account/ plan first. You can't do that if you don't have a VZ network but.

Some more information:

a) The Radio Comm method to flip 01 to 00 does not work since there is already a 00 there in that location.

B) Factory reset does not help.

c) Verizon SIM activation does not work from India.

The possibility that the IMEI is not considered valid by Indian carriers since VZ has not published them to the central global database is a strong possibility and cause for this problem. I am not sure what can be done to solve this.

But if that is not the case, then there is something in the phone which is causing the GSM radio to be locked.

Will bootloader unlock help? How?

Will flashing another ROM help? How?

Will flashing another Radio help? How?

Will IMEI modification help? How do you do this to test?

#2 vakharia

vakharia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

Update:

I flashed the full FXZ suspecting something wrong with the modem/ radio configuration.

Then I used the four corner activation bypass method and followed the remaining prompts.

Now, GSM is working fine.

#3 vakharia

vakharia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:31 AM

Update:

I flashed the full FXZ suspecting something wrong with the modem/ radio configuration.

Then I used the four corner activation bypass method and followed the remaining prompts.

Now, GSM is working fine.

#4 MicheeMKM

MicheeMKM

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDRC
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

Can you please explain in details how you flashed the full "FXZ"

What's the "FXZ"?

And how to use the "four corner activation bypass method"?

Thanks a million for your help!!!

#5 MicheeMKM

MicheeMKM

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDRC

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

Update:

Now, GSM is working fine

Can you please explain in details how you flashed the full "FXZ"
What's the "FXZ"?
And how to use the "four corner activation bypass method"?

Thanks a million for your help!!!

#6 MicheeMKM

MicheeMKM

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDRC

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:37 AM

The Droid Maxx and Droid Ultra are global phones. They are supposed to work on GSM networks outside US and there are many reports that they do infact.

On XDA there are users reporting success in Germany, Italy, Australia and India as well.

But, I now know three phones (including mine) which DO NOT see work with GSM SIM's.

There is probably a pattern here, but I am not sure:

1. These phones are in India. The frequency is not a problem, since the same people own multiple phones and the other Droids work fine on the same network.

2. These are phones which have been imported into India have not been activated on Verizon before leaving US shores.

3. These phones do not work in Global or even LTE/ GSM modes

4. In some cases, certain SIM's do work momentarily, and then the phone throws out an invalid SIM message.

5. Data access is possible in some of the cases, with manual APN settings. But voice is not working.

6. Verizon Global Support cannot help since the phones are NOT on VZ network.

7. The phones are not associated with any account, so tech support can do nothing.

8. One tech support guy mentioned that he could SIM unlock the phone for global use, but for that the phone has to be associated with an account/ plan first. You can't do that if you don't have a VZ network but.

Some more information:

a) The Radio Comm method to flip 01 to 00 does not work since there is already a 00 there in that location.

B) Factory reset does not help.

c) Verizon SIM activation does not work from India.

The possibility that the IMEI is not considered valid by Indian carriers since VZ has not published them to the central global database is a strong possibility and cause for this problem. I am not sure what can be done to solve this.

But if that is not the case, then there is something in the phone which is causing the GSM radio to be locked.

Will bootloader unlock help? How?

Will flashing another ROM help? How?

Will flashing another Radio help? How?

Will IMEI modification help? How do you do this to test?

So far, have you found the solution yet, because, I'm being through the same problem too..??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users