474 replies to this topic

#21 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

Would you say the CWM is stable/functional enough to perform a full ROM backup and restore? That way I'd feel more confident messing with the bloat and other stuff.

My test rom didn't go so well :/ bootloops...bootloops everywhere!

https://dl.dropbox.c...d%20Pheonix.zip
Run the batch and temp boot to CWM, select is the camera key, power key is the back key, and volumes are move.

It has random reboots so it is not something to be toyed with easily, but if you need a flash a small zip it should do the trick. This is possible of causing a brick if it crashes while flashing a rom after flashing /system/ :(

#22 mrsteel74

mrsteel74

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

While I haven't had a chance to try your root method I found on Huawei's website the link to their open source kernel for gingerbread if anyone wants it here is a link for it http://www.huaweidev...&softid=NDY3MzU=
  • mattlgroff likes this

#23 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Would you say the CWM is stable/functional enough to perform a full ROM backup and restore? That way I'd feel more confident messing with the bloat and other stuff.

Honestly I would say its enough to backup and restore. The software for it is iffy, let alone the random reboots it has. Even flashing isn't safe. If you "have" to flash something, you can do a small file. I tested flashing SuperSu.zip in and it worked fine, but when I tried to backup the phone rebooted halfway through.

While I haven't had a chance to try your root method I found on Huawei's website the link to their open source kernel for gingerbread if anyone wants it here is a link for it http://www.huaweidev...&softid=NDY3MzU=

Nice find! :)

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#24 dynaemu

dynaemu

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

I am also getting stuck at the booting screen. I installed the drivers while the phone was still plugged, tried without it pluged, they all installed correctly. I tried 3 different USB cables and it is still stuck. Any idea?

#25 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

When you have the phone plugged in and type "adb devices" does it show your phone? If you type "adb shell" do you get a shell prompt? If so, as far as I know, the drivers are installed correctly...unless while in fastboot the USB PID/VID stuff is different and the computer can't see the phone anymore? When you plug the phone into your computer, it mounts a small drive with drivers on it. I took the Huawei specific text out of the andrdoid_winusb.inf file in therer and put it into my own (I tihnk that's the name of the file, it's something similar if not) in the Google toolkit just to make sure the Google drivers could communicate with it. I never even installed the drivers that come with this root program.

Edit:
These are the lines I added, which I got from their driver directory

;Huawei Ideos
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_12D1&PID_1038&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_12D1&PID_103A

Into this file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\anrdoid_winusb.inf.

I double checked in device manager that that was the correct PID/VID I see when I plug the phone in. It should show up under device manager as "Android Phone -> Android Composite ADB Interface" in device manager. If all of the above is the correct and the case for you, then it's beyond my skill level.

Edit2: If you look at the android_winusb.inf that's in the phone's drivers dir, it has one line commented out - the 1038 line. I took that one, not the PID_1050 line, since my computer sees it the 1038 one. Don't know if this has any bearing on anything.

#26 dynaemu

dynaemu

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

When you have the phone plugged in and type "adb devices" does it show your phone? If you type "adb shell" do you get a shell prompt? If so, as far as I know, the drivers are installed correctly...unless while in fastboot the USB PID/VID stuff is different and the computer can't see the phone anymore? When you plug the phone into your computer, it mounts a small drive with drivers on it. I took the Huawei specific text out of the andrdoid_winusb.inf file in therer and put it into my own (I tihnk that's the name of the file, it's something similar if not) in the Google toolkit just to make sure the Google drivers could communicate with it. I never even installed the drivers that come with this root program.

Yeah it shows my device and the shell pops up when I type "adb shell" (without quotations of course). I have no idea what's going on haha. It still shows it when it's stuck in the boot screen. I have to remove the battery every time this happens for it to work.

However, I turned off USB debugging, unplugged, plugged, unplugged, turned it back on, and plugged again. Now when it's stuck in the boot screen I heard the sound that tells you something is plugged into the USB, except it skips about 4 times and the phone doesnt load after that. Nor does the phone's drive pop up in My Computer either.

EDIT: I'll take a look at all that and get back to you.

EDIT2: Odd, I don't have an Android folder in my Program Files folder.

#27 saxman2k

saxman2k

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the responses. I tried a different cable, and tried a different computer. No go. :(

#28 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

Well, that's just the directory to where I chose to install the Android SDK. You may have chosen a different directory. You DO have it installed right? I thought that was a basic pre-requisite to rooting, so as to get the Google drivers and adb etc.

#29 jamonthis

jamonthis

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

Ahhhhh. This phone is very different from other android devices I've rooted and debloated. Huawei did some odd stuff. the phone is surprisingly nice for the price, though. Much snappier than my Samsung Galaxy S 4g.
So next steps are figure out how to debloat by accessing that protected image, and figure out how to get a proper recovery and new ROMs. The former I'm into, the latter I'm not, I'm fine with Gingerbread. Thank you for your efforts! I was able to install the hiddden Cerberus anti theft app into /system so it will survive a factory reset, and that was my main goal. Debloat is secondary.

When you install an update to one of these apps lets use the, yahoo mail on for example, it will show in the /system/app or /data/app. The problem is the apk before the update is in /cust/t-mobile/us/app which is read only and unable to be mounted as R/W and that is why Titanium backup is unable to uninstall it.

I have tried moving it and deleting it manually with no luck. I have not tried through ADB yet but may give that a try next.

#30 dynaemu

dynaemu

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

Well, that's just the directory to where I chose to install the Android SDK. You may have chosen a different directory. You DO have it installed right? I thought that was a basic pre-requisite to rooting, so as to get the Google drivers and adb etc.

Hmm, no I do not. I didn't know you needed it. All it said is have your phone is USB Debug and do not mount the SD card.

#31 dynaemu

dynaemu

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Well, when I do adb devices when it says <waiting for device> it doesn't show up. I installed the Android SDK and Google USB drivers and it's still stuck at the boot screen. I even added the lines that were suggested.

#32 Shabbypenguin

Shabbypenguin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:Shabbypenguin

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Interesting, i had received a msg asking me to help port cwm to this device a few days ago and i had just compiled an image and was waiting for the guy to return. seems he didnt do a google search. :o

and matt your here too? :P

#33 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

When you install an update to one of these apps lets use the, yahoo mail on for example, it will show in the /system/app or /data/app. The problem is the apk before the update is in /cust/t-mobile/us/app which is read only and unable to be mounted as R/W and that is why Titanium backup is unable to uninstall it.

I have tried moving it and deleting it manually with no luck. I have not tried through ADB yet but may give that a try next.

Aha. Thanks for the explanation. Now how the heck are we going to be able to mount /cust as RW?
Just thinking out loud....what if you put the sdcard into an sdcard reader on a linux system that supports whatever file system /cust is in and just mount and rm it there?

#34 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Well, when I do adb devices when it says <waiting for device> it doesn't show up. I installed the Android SDK and Google USB drivers and it's still stuck at the boot screen. I even added the lines that were suggested.

Well, if "adb devices" doesn't see your phone, then this root method definitely won't work as it means the drivers are not installed/working right. Try finding that anrdoid_winusb.inf and adding those lines I posted above, removing the driver and plugging the phone back in. What does Device Manager show when you plug the phone in?

#35 dynaemu

dynaemu

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

Well, if "adb devices" doesn't see your phone, then this root method definitely won't work as it means the drivers are not installed/working right. Try finding that anrdoid_winusb.inf and adding those lines I posted above, removing the driver and plugging the phone back in. What does Device Manager show when you plug the phone in?

I added the lines, uninstalled the drivers, plugged the phone back in. The driver update/install thing that windows 7 has popped up. Everything installed correctly except Android Adapter. It said No driver found.

My device manager shows Other Devices and under that it says Android Adapter... and it has a yellow exclamation point showing it isn't installed.

EDIT: Also it adb devices showed my phone when it was plugged in before I uninstalled the drivers... it just went away when the phone rebooted when using the root.bat file.

EDIT2: My phone model is Huawei U8680 if that helps any.

#36 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

I'm using the same model phone, as I believe we all are (NOT the one with the keyboard) but already had the Android SDK and adb working for rooting some other android devices, so when I plugged the Huawei in adb saw it immediately. The fact that it's not showing up in Device Manager does mean nothing will work as far as rooting as there is a driver problem. It needs to show up as Andrdoid ADB Composite Interface.
Try to remove from Device Manager, and click the option to delete driver files if you didn't the first time.
Another option in Device Manager you could try is clicking Update Driver, then pointing it to a local driver -- you can try the one that's on the phone, the one this root program comes with, or the Google ones from the SDK. Just as a sanity check, plug the phone in, find it in Device Manager, right click and go to Properties. Click Details, then change the pulldown to Hardware IDs. Post the output you get from that, just to make sure your system is recognizing the USB PID and VID the same as it says in the android_winusb.inf file.

Edit: One more thing to try. In Device Manager, go to View-> Hidden devices. Remove anything referencing your phone, android, or ADB (don't do this if you have other Android devices you use on the computer though, I don't know what effect that would have).

#37 oneru

oneru

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, USA
  • Current Device(s):Huawei U8730

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'm using the same model phone, as I believe we all are (NOT the one with the keyboard)

For posterity's sake, as the OP indicates, the root does work with the slide-out keyboard model, too. (the U8680 Q) I know, because I just rooted mine an hour ago.

BTW, Thank you so much, Matt, for figuring out the root on this phone. =)

#38 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Interesting, i had received a msg asking me to help port cwm to this device a few days ago and i had just compiled an image and was waiting for the guy to return. seems he didnt do a google search. :o and matt your here too? :P

;)

I figured out the issue was the bootloader was locked and wouldn't boot with a stock recovery. Still isn't a good idea to use my CWM because it randomly reboots AND there isn't a way to make good backups unless CWM was re-wrote to not include boot.img in backups/restoring.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#39 Farseli

Farseli

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

I just rooted my slide 4g with this. Thank you so much. I hope someone can figure out how to get rid of the bloatware for good, or at the very least find a way to have it not load that stuff up again.

#40 dynaemu

dynaemu

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

EDIT: Do you need to unlock your bootloader before you can root this phone? That might be why it isn't working for me?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users