17 replies to this topic

#1 Wildfire1999

Wildfire1999

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

How to do I re-lock my bootloader so I can install OTA's again? When I try to install it keeps going into TWRP and when I tell it to reboot, it will boot and then just shut down and boot back into TWRP again. I used the Droid Razr HD utility to restore it, but do I need to FXZ it?

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

You don't need to relock the bootloader.  You need to have the stock recover and be completely stock with system.  You cannot take an update with twrp.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

How to do I re-lock my bootloader so I can install OTA's again? When I try to install it keeps going into TWRP and when I tell it to reboot, it will boot and then just shut down and boot back into TWRP again. I used the Droid Razr HD utility to restore it, but do I need to FXZ it?

Keep in mind there's not a working TWRP for the OTA, yet. DHacker has a working CWM over on XDA, though. Re-flash stock recovery, flash OTA, flash CWM, and then flash SU zip for root.
  • neckchop likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#4 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

Keep in mind there's not a working TWRP for the OTA, yet. DHacker has a working CWM over on XDA, though. Re-flash stock recovery, flash OTA, flash CWM, and then flash SU zip for root.

and hopefully it is that easy for you.  This is a PITA update for those who've modified.

• ibolski likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#5 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

and hopefully it is that easy for you. This is a PITA update for those who've modified.

I was thinking the same thing, it's sort of a gut-punch from Moto/VZW. People that are modified are soft-bricking left and right over on XDA. Like Sam said, you're kind of stuck because there is no FXZ yet.

#6 Wildfire1999

Wildfire1999

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input!

• RikRong likes this

#7 TALLYWACKER

TALLYWACKER

Android caused my divorce !

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSouth
  • Current Device(s):M8 ROOTED S-OFF UNLOCKED, XT926 UNLOCKED

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:51 AM

As a subtle consolation you can always just wait for team BLURRY to make a 4.4 stock based ROM and then have the best of both worlds ;)

Sent from my Chuck Norris Edition M8 

#8 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:18 AM

The update has definitely caused some headaches, but in the end, it's pretty well worth it. ART alone makes the phone so much more responsive and snappy. I love it.

Root still works for those with an unlocked boot loader. The Sqlite tethering hack has been patched and no longer works, so now you have to use a different method that is used for the Droid Ultra, but it works as I have applied it to my phone. Not as simple as using Sqlite Editor, but at least, you can still have tethering.

The hack is at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Just rename the file you download from a zip to an apk before following any more of the instructions.

I think the OP named it as a zip file so that it won't install or run when you download it via a web browser on your phone.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#9 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,368 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

People are in too much of a hurry to get the update installed.  Without an FXZ or a way to downgrade, rushing in when people have obviously had LOTS of problems is not the best of ideas.  The FXZ should come out in the next few weeks and make a lot of the issues go away.  But, until then, it's very difficult to manage this update.  If you're unlocked, it's different because you can always downgrade.  But those who are locked and taking this upgrade, it's perilous at the moment at best.

• ibolski, nobe1976 and cmh714 like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#10 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:06 AM

This dude makes it pretty simple apparently???
Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#11 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,368 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

Yes, because what I posted here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Is way too difficult.  LOL

• cmh714 likes this

#12 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

And keeps your data

Sent from my S-Offed One M8

• SamuriHL likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#13 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

This dude makes it pretty simple apparently???

I removed your link because it was discovered that method uses a downgrade method that will brick many folks and I don't want to see any more of that. This update has been bad enough.

Sent from my S-Offed One M8

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#14 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,368 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:01 AM

It looks like that script tries to flash you back to 9.16 and even flashes the gpt and tz partitions.  If a locked user tries it, they'll brick.  I'm fairly sure even an unlocked user who's not on 9.16 will brick due to the gpt and tz partition flashes.  It's rather odd.  

#15 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

No problem Kaos.

Yea, Samrui I already downloaded all your files this weekend and am getting ready to use your method. :D

Just pointing out that *bad link* that I saw over there. 

In fact, I think I'll do it today. I have to get my one reaqlly good backup off my phone first. 

(LOVE THIS WEBSITE BTW)

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#16 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,368 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:22 AM

I saw his post a few days ago but hadn't gotten a chance to look at it.  The scripts are nicely written, I just think that if a locked user tries it, they'll end up in a world of pain.  The method I documented should work for everyone except locked users who've already taken the KK OTA.

#17 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

No problem Kaos.

Yea, Samrui I already downloaded all your files this weekend and am getting ready to use your method. :D

Just pointing out that *bad link* that I saw over there. 

In fact, I think I'll do it today. I have to get my one reaqlly good backup off my phone first. 

(LOVE THIS WEBSITE BTW)

Make sure your phone is charged to 100% too. ;)

#18 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,368 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:18 AM

Make sure your phone is charged to 100% too. ;)

Seriously...I don't want any more bricked phones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users