Photo

Might be a stupid question, but I will ask anyway

Best Answer livinginkaos , 16 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

First of all, let's dispel the idea that someone seems to find root for new software. That is untrue and the more exploits that are found the more realistic that day will be that it will not be possible at all. That said, with the unlocked bootloader, you have no need for exploits because you have the ability to flash most anything, with a few exceptions to security enabled partitions such as the tz position. But, the important one is the ability to flash custom recovery. From there, the ability to root is achieved. So, in answer to your question, just go back to stock, take the update, then install the cwm for kk. Then from there, install the supersu.zip. Sent from my S-Offed One M8 Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jdcrae

jdcrae

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, mD
  • Current Device(s):Moto x 2014 (2nd Gen)

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:23 AM

I have the Razr HD MAXX, unlocked bootloader, running stock KitKat.

My question is can someone explain why, because I unlocked the bootloader, I can supposedly always regain root, whereas if the bootloader is locked, there is no root possible?

The reason I am asking, is every time a new update comes out, it takes a bit, but people seem to find a root for the newest software, so why is it still possible to regain root on the newer software just because the bootloader is unlocked?  Wouldn't there still need to be some program that roots the phone on 4.4.2 for instance?

I am getting more familiar with using RSD and flashing back to stock etc, so what would I need to flash in order to regain root running KK?

Also- if this is answered elsewhere please direct me, I looked through the q&A, but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks!

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:41 AM   Best Answer

First of all, let's dispel the idea that someone seems to find root for new software. That is untrue and the more exploits that are found the more realistic that day will be that it will not be possible at all. That said, with the unlocked bootloader, you have no need for exploits because you have the ability to flash most anything, with a few exceptions to security enabled partitions such as the tz position. But, the important one is the ability to flash custom recovery. From there, the ability to root is achieved. So, in answer to your question, just go back to stock, take the update, then install the cwm for kk. Then from there, install the supersu.zip. Sent from my S-Offed One M8

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 jdcrae

jdcrae

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, mD
  • Current Device(s):Moto x 2014 (2nd Gen)

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for explaining it to me.  Just couldn't make sense of it on my own reading through other posts.  I in no way was trying to downplay the significance of finding a root exploit.  The only thing I can equate my question to was wondering why a root exploit  for say windows 98, would work on a computer that now had windows 8.  Your explanation regarding the recovery makes perfect sense to me.  That was the piece I kept missing.  Thank you again for your help.  That's twice you've helped me now, and I am very grateful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users