29 replies to this topic

#1 falkon3439

falkon3439

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

I got the OTA update last night for 4.4.2, and without researching like I should have I updated I was rooted before the update, but I was locked. The phone got stuck on the M logo and would not progress any farther, I tried this guide 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

to fix it, but it kept failing and did not have any results.

I then tried to do a factory reset on the phone, right after reboot I'm stuck on black. No button combinations cause any response.

Exactly how screwed am I?

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

You're pretty screwed until they come out with an FXZ.  The thread you linked is for users that haven't already tried to update.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 falkon3439

falkon3439

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Just tried plugging my phone into my computer. The green LED comes on and my computer recognizes that a device was plugged in, it shows as an unrecognized device though. Not sure if this is a sign of hope?

EDIT: Looks like my phone might have just died at a very inconvenient time... Now it shows the M logo again but boot loops...

EDIT 2: I can get back into recovery now... Still cant seem to fix this issue though

#4 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,441 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

You up for trying something?

Non potest esse nisi unus

#5 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,441 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

Unbrick util.  Will stay only until it's confirmed to not work or the FXZ is released.  Whichever comes first.  It is NOT tested.  The worse that can happen if you're bricked is that it doesn't flash properly.  I need to know success or fail if you choose to use it.  The thread will disappear once the FXZ is released.

#6 falkon3439

falkon3439

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:57 PM

Well I just chatted with a verizon rep, her solution was for me to go to best buy, according to her they can flash back to the previous version. I don't have much faith in that though...

I will try going to best buy tomorrow and posting back on whether it works or not, and also going to verizon to see what else they can do (probably nothing, short of giving me a new phone)

SamuriHL, I will try and test that utility if Best-Buy fails me, however I can't really get my phone charged. Plugging it into the wall results in nothing(No Green LED), plugging it into the computer will result in it charging (Green LED), turning on, getting stuck on the logo, and then dying. Let me know if there is something I can do to get it to hold a charge. (Also when I was trying that other tutorial it would always fail on step 1/??, possibly because my battery was low?)

Also I realize that disclaimer is for me, It was pretty dumb. I convinced myself that the OTA failed and that was my best bet, but I was wrong...

Some more things

Using

Windows 8.1

The cable from a Droid Razr M (I assume it is the same, I don't have the cable that came with my Maxx because I bought it from a friend)

EDIT: Also if a mod wants to change the title of this thread to something slightly more descriptive of the problem eg "Bricked from 4.4.2 OTA update" that would probably be better, my forum etiquette is a bit rusty

#7 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,441 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

The disclaimer isn't just for you no. You're hardly alone in your situation. I give best buy about a 3% chance of being able to fix it. As for charging, no idea on that one.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

#8 falkon3439

falkon3439

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:35 PM

So i tried the utility, and I got through all of the bat file fine, nothing failed. When i go to install the OTA from the sdcard I get the following

------------------------------------

Install /sdcard

Finding update packages installed...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

Installing update...

Package expects fingerprint of motorola/XT926_verizon/vanquish: 4.1.2/9.8.1 Q-94-1/57:user/release-keys or motorola/vanquish_vzw/vanquish:4.4.2/KDA20.62-10.1/10:user/release-keys; this device has motorola/vanquish_vzw/vanquish:4.4.2/KDA20.62-10.1/10:u

installation aborted

-------------------------------------

Looks to me like the only difference is that my device says u instead of user/release keys.

I honestly have no idea what that means... unfortunately I am just a dev that lives above the API.

#9 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,441 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:50 AM

That's not the ota I included...

#10 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,441 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:02 AM

Are you sure "nothing failed"? Someone else tried it and got a security error on the system partition which is exactly what I was wondering would happen.

#11 falkon3439

falkon3439

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:19 AM

I'm using the Blur_Version.9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.US file. Is that not correct?

I re-downloaded the util and Its the same file with the same error.

Sorry if I'm doing something really stupid...

EDIT: Now that i look again i see the system partition did fail

#12 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,441 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

SIGH.  That's why I said in that post to pay careful attention to flashing and to report to me, especially system, if anything fails.  Basically this isn't going to work and you're stuck waiting for an FXZ.

#13 falkon3439

falkon3439

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Stopped by bestbuy today, they of course did nothing.

Then went by a verizon store. The rep went into the recovery menu and was apparently able to tell that I had been rooted, and confirmed that the issue had to do with trying to do the OTA while rooted, and then told me they wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it.

Might try to talk to motorola now, but for anyone with the same issue, your'e pretty screwed until the FXZ is released.

#14 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,441 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

You mean, like, an hour ago?  ;)

• RikRong and falkon3439 like this

#15 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,441 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

#16 falkon3439

falkon3439

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:43 AM

Wow completely missed that! Thanks for posting!

EDIT: Worked great. I had already done a factory reset so I lost everything, and no longer have root, but at least I have a working phone!

• SamuriHL, johnthehillbilly and RikRong like this

#17 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Back in the old days of the internet (when you had access to it from college and not from home), this was a perfect example of

RTFM

I'm sure many should know what that means and I know SamuriHL is thinking it right now! ;)

• abuttino and SamuriHL like this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#18 falkon3439

falkon3439

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Ya i understand haha. I don't know if what I did actually made it any worse, I was bricked coming straight out of the update.

#19 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

Here is my theory on the issues we're seeing with people stuck at the Moto Eye after applying the OTA:

The users applied the OTA via the stock recovery. However, after applying it the first time, they left the phone and went about their business and when they eventually came back, it was stuck at the Red Moto logo. What has happened is that the OTA applied the new recovery, rebooted and they were stuck at the Dead Andy screen. However, if you leave it there long enough, it will eventually continue booting. Well, people left their phone long enough to only come back and see it stuck at the Red Moto and assumed it was bricked. Nope. Not so.

All you have to do is this:

1. Press and hold vol up + vol down + power for at least 10 seconds. It will reboot the phone.
  2. Immediately, when the screen goes black, press and hold Vol up + Power until the boot menu comes up
  3. Immediately, use the vol down key to select "recovery" and then vol up to select it.
  4. Dead Andy will show up. Press and hold vol up then press power and then release both buttons. You'll be back into the new recovery.
  5. Apply the OTA one more time.

Those that took the OTA directly from the download and had it install it for them more than likely had too much junk in the cache. or something else was borked.

All I know is, the first time I did the soak when I received it, I pulled it from the /cache directory and saved it to my external SD card. When I attempted to apply it manually, I got the dead andy screen, not knowing the new key combo was required to start it. I was trying all sorts of combos. Eventually, it just rebooted and was stuck at the Moto logo and then eventually it rebooted again and just kept rebooting like that. When I tried to go into recovery, I would get the Dead Andy screen, but the old vol down + vol up wouldn't work.

That is where I think the issue lies. Not everyone was truly bricked, but after the initial Dead Andy screen, if you don't do the key presses in a certain amount of time, it then continues on with the normal boot process which means going to the Red Eye and then it reboots and you get the Red Moto logo and then eventually the Red Eye again.

That seems to make sense from what I have gathered over the past week with what a lot of people have experienced.

But then, I could be wrong, but it seems to make sense. I think a lot of people were not really bricked. They just didn't go into recovery again (not knowing the new key combos) and then applying the OTA again.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#20 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,441 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

I've said the same thing multiple times and have tried to get people to follow basic instructions for rebooting back into recovery, bringing up the menu, and reflashing the OTA but I got either HUH, I can't I'm bricked, or "didn't work" as responses so I stopped bothering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users