324 replies to this topic

#41 bmwh0r3

bmwh0r3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

So which ota has root yet? Mine is 182.46. Stay with it?

#42 dnkjordan

dnkjordan

Hazegray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD [Unlocked/Rooted]

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

To add to my list of noob questions for the day:

Once we've returned to stock and flashed the update and restore a custom recovery (I'm using TWRP) how do we restore root? 

I've searched the forums and found some examples of using TWRP to flash a SU zip file and others using adb.  Which method do you recommend?

#43 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

So which ota has root yet? Mine is 182.46. Stay with it?

182.46.10 is the current OTA before the latest soak. The latest soak is 182.46.14 which is what you don't want to be on if you haven't unlocked your bootloader yet.

If you are on 182.46.10, then you can still root, but you should also unlock your bootloader. Once you've unlocked your bootloader, then you can go to 182.46.14 and still root via custom recovery.

You can either flash root via the install zip option in custom recovery or use adb to side load it via custom recovery. Either way works. It's all a matter of preference.

• dnkjordan and exsquid like this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#44 bmwh0r3

bmwh0r3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

182.46.10 is the current OTA before the latest soak. The latest soak is 182.46.14 which is what you don't want to be on if you haven't unlocked your bootloader yet.

If you are on 182.46.10, then you can still root, but you should also unlock your bootloader. Once you've unlocked your bootloader, then you can go to 182.46.14 and still root via custom recovery.

You can either flash root via the install zip option in custom recovery or use adb to side load it. Either way works. It's all a matter of preference.

Original post made me think the current was 183.46 and the soak test was 184. Misunderstanding from there. Its since been changed. We're good then. Its been rooted and unlocked since I picked it up the other week for fairly cheap. B)
  • ibolski likes this

#45 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

Has anything been released as to what this update fixes besides removing the exploits for root and unlock?

#46 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Yes, bluetooth.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#47 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Has anything been released as to what this update fixes besides removing the exploits for root and unlock?

As well as apparently including the 4.4.4 security flaw patch per the soak test private forums. We all found that strange since it's still 4.4.2, but whatever.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#48 jtommyj

jtommyj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Don't forget also that root survives this update, at least when flashing it from your SD card. So if you screw up and apply the update before you root, all is not lost. Just fxz the file in the op after removing the gpt and tz lines on the xml , use towel root, get root, then apply the update and it will update even while rooted. Then flash the custom recovery of your choice !!

#49 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Don't forget also that root survives this update, at least when flashing it from your SD card. So if you screw up and apply the update before you root, all is not lost. Just fxz the file in the op after removing the gpt and tz lines on the xml , use towel root, get root, then apply the update and it will update even while rooted. Then flash the custom recovery of your choice !!

Careful there.  If you are unlocked, no need for any of that as you flash root in recovery.

If you are NOT unlocked, then you can't flash a custom recovery.  Just don't want folks getting confused.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#50 jtommyj

jtommyj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Careful there. If you are unlocked, no need for any of that as you flash root in recovery.

If you are NOT unlocked, then you can't flash a custom recovery. Just don't want folks getting confused.

But you cant install the update with a custom recovery so you're going to have to get back there somehow. And with all the warnings that Sam has given about unlock now, that should be a given or their Sol anyway. Anyway, that's not our problem at this point.lol

#51 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

IF, and I do mean IF we end up with a locked user on this update, I will first SMFH, and then I will have them try to flash boot img from the last update to see if they upped the security.  If they can flash the boot img, they can run towel root.  But let's not anyone get to that point, yea?  Unlock the damn phones before installing this.  Else I'm going to be very much less than sympathetic.

• rickw and jtommyj like this

#52 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR HD, HTC Rezound

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the great instruction sami. I'll be going through this process tomorrow.

• SamuriHL likes this

#53 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

There's been some confusion about the version.  The title was a reference to the version you had to be on in order to update.  I've changed it to reflect the version you end up on.  I hate Moto update naming schemes.

• In Awe likes this

#54 surfmly

surfmly

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

182.46.10 is the current OTA before the latest soak. The latest soak is 182.46.14 which is what you don't want to be on if you haven't unlocked your bootloader yet.

You can either flash root via the install zip option in custom recovery or use adb to side load it via custom recovery. Either way works. It's all a matter of preference.

Follow up question on this. I have unlocked bootloader and just follow directions to get to 183.46.14 (had major problem with phone and this was only way I could get it to work (albeit no rooted at the moment)). I have been searching for root for this version but didn't find one. You mention above as long as I am unlocked (which I am) I can flash custom recovery and install root. Any chance you can point me to a root method (or was the mention of towel root the pointer?)  :blink:  Thanks!

#55 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Install custom recovery, flash supersu in recovery.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

#56 cbadave

cbadave

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Probably a dumb noob question but how do I install TWRP now that I don't have root to let flashify work?

#57 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

fastboot flash recovery TWRP2710-RAZR-HD_M-KITKAT.img

replace with your file name for CWM or if you renamed the TWRP file

• cbadave likes this

#58 cbadave

cbadave

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNC, USA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry, I've read so much on here. I've got the TWRP2710 on SD card in downloads and on computer but RSD won't do it. If you can point me to the right thread I don't mind reading. Thanks for all of your help.

#59 nal

nal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD xt907/26, LG G2, Nexus 7 2012

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry, I've read so much on here. I've got the TWRP2710 on SD card in downloads and on computer but RSD won't do it. If you can point me to the right thread I don't mind reading. Thanks for all of your help.

Download the adt bundle and go to sdk/platform-tools/

shift + right click to open a command prompt

make sure you're in fastboot

also make sure you have debugging enabled

fastboot flash recovery TWRP2710-RAZR-HD_M-KITKAT.img

replace with your file name for CWM or if you renamed the TWRP file

^^^this

make sure the img is in the same directory, too. it shall flash and then you can reboot, but make sure you hold both volume buttons until you see recovery, go into it and then that should set it as default

I'd look into more into it though, lol. That's how I flashed CWM on my phone and it worked without an issue. That's with adb, I've never tried flashify so idk what that is OH, I forgot about that tool. Idk if other people have tried it

• cbadave likes this

#60 Neo_mat

Neo_mat

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

attachicon.gif

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Are you cheating on me? How could you? /cry