324 replies to this topic

#141 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,454 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

So, uh, HD owners.....remember when this was a soak test a long time ago, in a galaxy...er razr hd, far far away?  WTF is going on with this build?  It should have finished OTA by now but clearly something is REALLY REALLY screwy here.  And I've not seen an FXZ for this thing at all.  Like in existence.  That's....beyond odd.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#142 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

I haven't seen anything either, and I watch constantly.  I went ahead and installed the soak on my phone and watched.  I have seen a decrease in battery life, no change in wifi or 4g from 10.1.  The only thing I can really say is it patched the exploits, and changed the version number.  I don't use bluetooth enough to be a good judge on that area.

#143 thewraith420

thewraith420

Crack Flasher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Current Device(s):XT907 jbbl Blisspop

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

Wouldn't be bad if they decided not to release it.... Doesn't sound like it actually fixes anything..... Doubt it though. Edit: can't anyone on the soak see if the ics radio works with it? And/or if in dfs NV_only setting will stick. (if you don't know what that is. Don't worry about it)

#144 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

So, uh, HD owners.....remember when this was a soak test a long time ago, in a galaxy...er razr hd, far far away?  WTF is going on with this build?  It should have finished OTA by now but clearly something is REALLY REALLY screwy here.  And I've not seen an FXZ for this thing at all.  Like in existence.  That's....beyond odd.

Yeah, I can't tell. Most people on the soak boards have said no change in how the phone works for them, but it worked fine with the initial KK OTA, so I really think this is more of a security patch (4.4.4 patches) plus fix Towelroot exploit and patch the BL exploit. That's all I can get from what I saw in the soak test private boards.

I will say that Bluetooth issues appeared to be fixed. I didn't test it as much as I did in the initial KK soak, but whereas that soak caused BT issues until I did an FDR, this one seemed to work just fine (no dropouts in BT audio when playing music, etc). However, the popping noise is still there.

I've since gone back to CM11, which just recently this past weekend fixed the popping noise (thanks Kabaldan on XDA for that fix) and it's pretty darned stable for me.

But, as for the latest soak test, we haven't heard anything. In fact, they usually don't tell us anything. However, I did just get a survey about the latest soak asking a lot of questions on what we found better or worse with this soak test. This included asking if the following areas were the same, better, worse, etc since the initial OTA: Stability/Realiability, LTE/4g data connectivity & streaming, Bluetooth/Wifi performance, Voice call quality and connectivity, Speed, on-screen control and responsiveness, Exchange email, Corporate sync, etc.

I listed the issues with Wifi/LTE signals being weaker, popping noise when sounds start initially (and pointed them to the CM11 commit comment that explains how to fix it - sad AOSP developers for CM11 had to figure this out), battery life (would be nice to get 4.4.3 patches to fix camera battery drain), etc. We already got the 4.4.4 security patches, so might as well just give us the whole shebang and that's what I told Moto. We'll see if they listen or not.

I never got the survey with the first KK OTA soak test, so I'm wondering if they are getting more negative responses with this soak and that's why they sent it out? Not sure.

That might explain why you haven't heard anything about a FXZ or a potential release. Sounds like Moto might be sitting on this soak test until they get it right. Let's hope that's the case!

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#145 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,454 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:22 AM

We'll see. It's unusual though. There's been no equivalent xt907 build, either.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

#146 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

One of the forum managers on the private soak boards at Motorola has stated they are looking into the issue with people still having Bluetooth problems, as well as the Wifi and 4g signals being weaker and dropping more often. Sounds like this soak might not get released soon. Let's hope they truly are looking into this, updating/fixing it and then releasing it, possibly with another soak before going public.

• SamuriHL likes this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#147 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

It's not just us:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• ibolski likes this
Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#148 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

It's not just us:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Wow. Nice find. Thanks for that link. Sounds like more work needs to be done.

2cqd4t2.png

#149 Schyler

Schyler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

I'm still having bluetooth problems with this release, although not as severe as the initial KK release.  Bluetooth audio stutters with almost any network or processor usage (it didn't with JB), and it still gets into a stuttery state that requires a reboot to fix - although that only happens every few days instead of several times a day.  I use bluetooth audio for hours every day, so this is a killer issue for me.  I really hope they keep working on it, because I hoped to make this phone last at least until next year.

#150 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,454 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

I'm concerned that there's still no FXZ for this. The reason is I suspect some people have taken this update, screwed up their phones, and are now trying to flash the previous 4.4.2 FXZ. Shockingly they're getting flash failed messages. I know right? Moto needs to get off the pot with this one.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

#151 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

Just as an FYI, the forum manager on the private soak test forums stated this soak test (that hasn't been released yet) will be the final update for the XT926 family, so let's hope they work it out. It seems like they are since it hasn't been pushed out to the public yet, so they do appear to be listening.

Again, he also stated that it won't go to 4.4.4, but they did apply the 4.4.4 security patches to this soak, which will remain at 4.4.2. Of course, that right there makes me wonder if they'll still just push it out with all the issues since it has the security updates (including patching Towelroot and the bootloader unlock exploit)? But, I would think it would have gone out by now, so that might be a good sign that they truly want to address the issues as best as possible before releasing it to the public

Just an FYI, but many people in the soak test are complaining about the battery life, wifi and blue tooth performance issues. Others have had random boots, etc. 

2cqd4t2.png

#152 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,454 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

I have doubts they'll release an updated version but you never know.  The fact that it's going to be the last update is not surprising though.

#153 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

He was going to monitor peoples stats if they registered with Motocare, so makes me thing they are looking into it. But, I have my doubts too.

Their main concern is getting this patch out that fixes the Towelroot exploit and the bootloader unlock exploit. Damn everything else.

2cqd4t2.png

#154 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,454 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

No one should be shocked about that.  At all.

#155 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

I went into Vzw store and had the sim cards changed in both my xt-926's. Both had the old card in them.  No change as far as 4g, I use to get 4g here at the house with no problem, but now am lucky to get a weak 3g signal.  They told me that it was due to Verizon rolling out their new XTE network and things would be iffy in this area for a while.(Bunch of BS).  Also informed me that I would have to upgrade both the phones to take advantage of the new network (Big suprise there).

I still feel that the only thing the quiet soak test was for was to stop the towel root and the unlock exploit.  Thats what they care about.  They don't want to extend the life of any phone.  Just want you to buy a new one. IMO.

#156 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

Disagree. They also do NOT want to piss off customers. Leave me at this update where my phone cannot go ONE day with a charge and bare minimum usage, where wifi is half as strong as it used to be and yea... you will get me to upgrade my phone... to one of your competitors. Who is going to say "wow, that update shanked my phone... guess Ill go get another Moto!"

That's just $#!+ty.

I actually think at this point, making sure you can't unlock your  2 year old phone is hardly a priority for them. 

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#157 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,454 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

I have a slightly different viewpoint on this one.  Kitkat in general has sucked for battery life.  That is not mfg specific, although some mfgs are better than others.  The problem here is that Moto is not going to spend a lot of time (hence money) to fix a problem on a phone that's EOL. So this idea that "oh they're not going to want to piss off their customers..."  GLWT.  We had these same kinds of conversations with the Bionic and RAZR when they were heading to EOL, too.  And guess what....they didn't care then, and they don't care now.  They can't be spending a ton of money fixing a dead phone.  You buying a new device from them isn't going to make up for the amount of money poured into fixing an old phone.  I get that you won't like that answer, but, no mfg is any different.  Ask Samsung customers if they're treated any better.  The answer they'll give you is "well, at least you're on 4.4.2"...

#158 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Going by your logic, then why not just stop at JB?

It came with ICS. They gave us JB. All I really expect from a Carrier Phone is one solid update. Would have been OK with that. JB was good. And it probably would have gotten me to upgrade FASTER to get KK on a good phone.

But they rolled out KK... 

Why give an EOL phone KK? They "poured" money in.

(I bet it's just one guy working on it...lol)

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#159 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

PS: HTC pissed me off. Pissed off a lot of people. Look where they are today. If not for the ONE they'd be dead by now.

You should NOT piss off your customers. ;)

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#160 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Ask Samsung customers if they're treated any better.  The answer they'll give you is "well, at least you're on 4.4.2"...

Yep... keep pissing them off Sammy:

"But phone and tablet sales have slumped and Samsung reported its lowest profit in two years in the second quarter. Operating income dropped 24% from a year earlier to 7.2 trillion won, or $7.1 billion, for the three months ended June 30."

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users