43 replies to this topic

#1 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,438 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

I see this question over and over again on the forum.  "I'm unlocked now how do I install custom recovery?"  There are numerous ways to do it.  If you're rooted, Flashify is a pretty easy way.  HOWEVER, I'm going to instruct you in the fastboot method because it can be used later to recover root after an OTA update on unlocked phones.  This is something every unlocked user should know how to do.

WARNING: Read FULLY before performing this.  Failure to do so will likely get it wrong.

What you need:

o)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

o) The oem usb cable that came with your phone (yes, it matters)

o) A USB 2 port

o) A recovery image for your phone

NOTE: This isn't the "where do I get..." thread.  Please find the image for your phone BEFORE coming to this thread to learn how to flash it.  Thank you.

Instructions:

o) Extract the platform-tools to a folder on your c:\ drive  e.g. c:\install_recovery

o) Copy your recovery img file to the same folder e.g. c:\install_recovery

o) Open a cmd prompt to the directory that contains fastboot and the recovery image e.g. c:\install_recovery

o) Put your phone in AP Fastboot mode, and connect it to a USB 2.0 (NOT 3.0) port using the oem usb cable

o) On the cmd prompt, type:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

o) Where recovery.img should be the fiilename for your specific recovery img file that you're trying to flash

o) Once it finishes flashing:

unplug the phone, power it off, boot to the menu, select recovery

o) If you fail to do the above step and just perform a normal boot without going to recovery first, you will be posting "I followed everything...it didn't work" posts and annoying me.  If you fail to boot directly into recovery and instead boot normal, your custom recovery image that you just flashed will be overwritten with stock recovery, making it SEEM like "it didn't work" when in fact it did, but you didn't follow directions.   :)

Bonus Question:

Q: Sweet, I got custom recovery!  So, uh, how do I use it to install root?  I can do that....right?

A: Yes, yes you can!

It's been pointed out to me that we all make this more complicated than it needs to be.  If you're using CWM, you will need to get the supersu zip downloaded to your phone or use the adb sideload method to install it in recovery.  However, if you use TWRP, it has supersu built in.  Once you boot into TWRP and tell it to reboot, it'll prompt you to tell you that "hey root's not detected, bummer!  Want for I to install it for you?"  If you tell it yes, it'll install the su binary. Now, it's probably going to be an out of date su binary.  The very first thing you should do is ensure the supersu app is installed and/or updated from the playstore, then load the supersu app.  It will then prompt you to update the binary.  I've never found it necessary to use the recovery option of updating it.  So you have 3 options:

1.  If using TWRP, reboot into TWRP, and tell it to reboot, thus prompting you to install the SuperSU su binary

2.  Flash the supersu zip in CWM or TWRP

3.  Sideload the supersu zip using CWM or TWRP in their respective adb sideload options.

• joelbon, rickw, livinginkaos and 9 others like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for doing this ! 

• rickw, transmissiontech and Oreo like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,438 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Yea, we've seen SOOOOOO many people ask about it I figured it was time for a little hand holding session.

• rickw, transmissiontech, RikRong and 2 others like this

#4 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

*TIP* To make it a little easier you can rename the file:

TWRP.094-whateverits-called.img to TWRP.img to make it easier to type.

(or the same for CWM)

Just don't screw it up and put in any spaces or somehow change the .img part.

• SamuriHL likes this
Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#5 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,438 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

Yup, you can do the same with the SuperSU zip you download, as well.  Rename it to supersu.zip if you're sideloading it.  I just added the sideloading instructions for the advanced users in the House.  That should cover all cases for installing custom recovery and root to a non-rooted, but unlocked, phone.

#6 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Yea, we've seen SOOOOOO many people ask about it I figured it was time for a little hand holding session.

They're still going to ask. ;)

R. Long: Pixel 5

#7 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,438 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

They're still going to ask. ;)

Yup, and I'll have the link to this thread standing by to "help".  :D

• bigjailerman and Scirca_xD like this

#8 dschuett

dschuett

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD xt926

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hate to be "THAT GUY", but I follow the instructions to the 'T'. When I power off the phone right after flashing the recovery and power it back up directy to the boot menu, I select recovery by pressing the Volume Up key, but it still boots right back into the OS. I have no idea why it is doing this... I have tried several times now.

Any help is appreciated.

#9 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,438 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Get the proper recovery file.  Whatever you're flashing is either wrong or corrupt.  And no, this isn't the "where do I find that" thread.

• nobe1976 likes this

#10 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,438 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Updated the OP with some content that was recently pointed out to me about root installation.

#11 Aqua009

Aqua009

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD XT926 183.46.15 Build KDA20.62-15.1

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

I have research burnout.  I have been trying to find out how to get my XT926 183.46.10 (build KDA20.62-10.1) back to stock recovery so I can install the last kitkat update.  I am using CWM with my rooted/unlocked maxx hd (thanks to you :) ).  I was able to understand your instructions on how to do this, but I can't find the instructions on going to stock recovery.  I've been all over and can't find it.

I have tried ALL kinds of searches since it came out and mostly come up with  how to flash to custom recoveries.

PLEASE... where is a link describing how to do this?  I can work through it if I just have the instructions.  I even tried to use CWM by selecting the factory reset.

Maybe it's under my nose, but I don't see it.  I'm dying here.  Please throw me a line :blink:

#12 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Don't mess with all that. Just flash the fxz then reflash custom recovery.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

[FXZ] 4.4.2 183.46.15 sent from my G3
  • Aqua009 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#13 KFTheTruth

KFTheTruth

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Twitter:@KFTheTruth
  • LocationNorth America
  • Current Device(s):SGP Blackphone & Razr HD Maxx xt926

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

Yes, I needed mine held today. Doesnt everyone once in a while? 

#14 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,438 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

Not generally, no.  If something goes wrong, that's one thing.  Hand holding is when someone doesn't bother researching at ALL and just expects because they pose a question that someone's going to give them a detailed answer just for them and not some "generic answer that may not apply to MY situation".  Hand holding is not a good thing or a compliment.

• RikRong likes this

#15 KFTheTruth

KFTheTruth

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

Not generally, no.  If something goes wrong, that's one thing.  Hand holding is when someone doesn't bother researching at ALL and just expects because they pose a question that someone's going to give them a detailed answer just for them and not some "generic answer that may not apply to MY situation".  Hand holding is not a good thing or a compliment.

My bad attempt at humor...

I understand completely and I have read over so many of your posts where you repeat yourself over and over and go as far as to "spoonfeed" people. I feel bad when I have to post something I know has been gone over. I did do research though for hours between last night and today. Just got lost in the forums I guess :/

#16 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,438 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Yup, if something goes wrong that's one thing.  Needing a pointer here and there I generally don't mind that.  It's when people post the same question that was literally answered the post above theirs that drive me nuts.  LOL.  

• spainter likes this

#17 KFTheTruth

KFTheTruth

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

Yup, if something goes wrong that's one thing.  Needing a pointer here and there I generally don't mind that.  It's when people post the same question that was literally answered the post above theirs that drive me nuts.  LOL.  

Wait so hand holding is good or bad?

#18 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,438 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

Wait so hand holding is good or bad?

Do I need to hold your hand through this question? LMAO :D

• KFTheTruth likes this

#19 KFTheTruth

KFTheTruth

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

Do I need to hold your hand through this question? LMAO :D

I just wanted to Master Samurai's hand lol....

Do we have personal pins? I need to pin this op and some others that are "specific to my situation."

BTW The project FXZ for XT926 is completelyand installed TWRP, Side-loaded SU and made a back-up. Also racked up some statistics for "MY Situation". 

Noob Analytics: Total  33 lifetime Flashes/Four Maxx HD XT926 Flashes / Android Development since 08/2011

9 File Downloads/1 Manual FXZ Attempt; Successful/3 JAR attempts before manual load of XML (just wouldnt open RSD Lite?)

1 XML generated Successfully/0 SDE Repairs Needed

x<5 posts to final resolution/ 3 Total threads needed

ETA 15 hours (minus 4 hours worth of sleep)

I haven't quite developed a metrics system yet for you guys though! Ha. 

AND just because I feel a little less bad about posting rhetorical questions I'll throw the team a nickel or two  :p  

#20 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

My bad attempt at humor...

I thought it was good. :D

Although I'm not the guy everyone asks for help. :D :D

• KFTheTruth likes this
Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic