n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:8
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD (xt926) unlocked

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hey everyone, I seem to be having trouble flashing roms to my unlocked xt926 so I was wondering if some of you more experienced people could chime in.

Here's some background on the phone starting with the OTA kitkat install from Verizon. After having stock kitkat (4.4.2, 183.46.10) for a little while, I came across SamuriHL's thread on this site saying how there was an exploit to unlock the bootloader and to take advantage of it before the "mistake" gets fixed. So I follow his directions to first root the phone using towelroot, and then unlock the bootloader using motopocolypse. No problem, status code 3 unlocked, great. I knew I wanted to put a custom rom on the device so I decided to go with twrp 2.7.1.0 as the recoveryand followed a video posted by rootjunky to install twrp. Booted into recovery and twrp starts no problem. Using twrp, I backed up to the sdcard (really good idea). 

After the backup, I started to look into a couple of different roms. I decided to go with cm 11 so I downloaded the cm-11-20140708-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960-epinter.zip (right from the cm website) as well as the google apps package gapps-kk-20140606.zip to the sdcard. Once loaded onto the sdcard, I went into twrp mode and followed the cm11 directions by wiping (3 times just to be safe) and then clicked install. I selected the two zip files I had just put on the sdcard and hit install. After a couple of minutes I get the "successfully complete" window and wipe the cache before hitting reboot. The phone reboots by showing the motorola icon with the dual core technology and for some reason continues to bootloop. After about ten minutes of this I restart the phone, but the same thing happens and the logo just continues to loop every couple of minutes.

I put the phone back into recovery mode and recover using the backup. Not wanting to give up, I figure it might have been the rom. So far I've tried about 3 or 4 different roms with no luck. More recently, the motorola icon doesn't even loop, it just stays on solid. Two other roms that I have tried are: cm-11-20140715-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960.zip as well as a Beanstalk version. I can post the details for that if necessary. 

The fact that I've tried multiple roms and they all seem to enter this bootloop or stuck icon mode is pretty frustrating as the process seems to be pretty simple and straightforward from what I've read. I'm probably just missing a step or something stupid on my part, but I can't seem to figure it out. If anyone has resolved this issue or knows of a solution, Id really appreciate it. 

Thanks for the read, and if you need any information on my end, please let me know. 

#2 xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

• Superuser
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Device(s):Moto X 2014 Pure Edition || Motorola DROID RAZR M || Archos G9 101 || Microsoft Surface Pro 2 || Chromecast

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:04 AM

Hey everyone, I seem to be having trouble flashing roms to my unlocked xt926 so I was wondering if some of you more experienced people could chime in.

Here's some background on the phone starting with the OTA kitkat install from Verizon. After having stock kitkat (4.4.2, 183.46.10) for a little while, I came across SamuriHL's thread on this site saying how there was an exploit to unlock the bootloader and to take advantage of it before the "mistake" gets fixed. So I follow his directions to first root the phone using towelroot, and then unlock the bootloader using motopocolypse. No problem, status code 3 unlocked, great. I knew I wanted to put a custom rom on the device so I decided to go with twrp 2.7.1.0 as the recoveryand followed a video posted by rootjunky to install twrp. Booted into recovery and twrp starts no problem. Using twrp, I backed up to the sdcard (really good idea).

After the backup, I started to look into a couple of different roms. I decided to go with cm 11 so I downloaded the cm-11-20140708-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960-epinter.zip (right from the cm website) as well as the google apps package gapps-kk-20140606.zip to the sdcard. Once loaded onto the sdcard, I went into twrp mode and followed the cm11 directions by wiping (3 times just to be safe) and then clicked install. I selected the two zip files I had just put on the sdcard and hit install. After a couple of minutes I get the "successfully complete" window and wipe the cache before hitting reboot. The phone reboots by showing the motorola icon with the dual core technology and for some reason continues to bootloop. After about ten minutes of this I restart the phone, but the same thing happens and the logo just continues to loop every couple of minutes.

I put the phone back into recovery mode and recover using the backup. Not wanting to give up, I figure it might have been the rom. So far I've tried about 3 or 4 different roms with no luck. More recently, the motorola icon doesn't even loop, it just stays on solid. Two other roms that I have tried are: cm-11-20140715-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960.zip as well as a Beanstalk version. I can post the details for that if necessary.

The fact that I've tried multiple roms and they all seem to enter this bootloop or stuck icon mode is pretty frustrating as the process seems to be pretty simple and straightforward from what I've read. I'm probably just missing a step or something stupid on my part, but I can't seem to figure it out. If anyone has resolved this issue or knows of a solution, Id really appreciate it.

Thanks for the read, and if you need any information on my end, please let me know.

Have you wiped internal data? I had to before any ROM would boot. Don't just factory reset, go into advanced wipe and clear out internal data as well (back it up of course). I'm not sure why, but after doing this, all ROMs work for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk

• ibolski likes this
Moto X 2014 Pure Edition Unlocked on Pure Rooted 5.1
Motorola Droid Razr M Unlocked on Some ROM
Archos G9 101 Developer Edition on Cyanogenmod 11 4.4.3 Unofficial/Stable

#3 racer580

racer580

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:34 AM

That's a good idea. I wasn't sure if wiping the internal data would wipe stuff that wasn't on the backup so I left that box unchecked. I'll try that in a little bit. 

Thanks

#4 racer580

racer580

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I wiped everything including the internal storage (except for the sdcard) this time around. The successfully completed message came up, I wiped the dalvik / cache and rebooted however I still have the same issue where the motorola icon and dual core technology text stays solid on the screen. So, no luck with wiping the internal data :(

Thanks for trying though xKronik13x. Any other suggestions from anyone?

#5 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

I wiped everything including the internal storage (except for the sdcard) this time around. The successfully completed message came up, I wiped the dalvik / cache and rebooted however I still have the same issue where the motorola icon and dual core technology text stays solid on the screen. So, no luck with wiping the internal data :(

Thanks for trying though xKronik13x. Any other suggestions from anyone?

If it's across multiple ROMs, it has to be something in your install methods or downloads.  How long are you letting it boot after flashing?  I've had new ROMs take as long as 15 minutes to boot.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#6 racer580

racer580

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

I suppose that it could be a time issue. The install method seems to be correct since the successfully complete message shows up when the install is complete. Also the downloads for the cm11 and gapps were right from the websites, but if someone wants to post the exact links to the zip files, I can try that. 

As far as time goes, I usually wait about 8-10 minutes before throwing in the towel. I've never heard of one taking 15 minutes to boot, but I suppose that's something easy to try out. Will the Motorola logo and dual core technology text remain on the boot screen for the whole time, or will the cm logo  show up? I was under the impression that the cm logo would come on pretty early on. 

Thanks for the suggestion

#7 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

CM logo should show up after the Moto logo. It usually takes less than a minute for the CM logo to show up after the Moto logo for me. It definitely sounds like something is amiss.

It's strange it's not working and I'm completely confused (which is not hard to do to me). ;)

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#8 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

I suppose that it could be a time issue. The install method seems to be correct since the successfully complete message shows up when the install is complete. Also the downloads for the cm11 and gapps were right from the websites, but if someone wants to post the exact links to the zip files, I can try that.

As far as time goes, I usually wait about 8-10 minutes before throwing in the towel. I've never heard of one taking 15 minutes to boot, but I suppose that's something easy to try out. Will the Motorola logo and dual core technology text remain on the boot screen for the whole time, or will the cm logo show up? I was under the impression that the cm logo would come on pretty early on.

Thanks for the suggestion

Yeah, you're right, I was thinking of the boot animation, not the logo. It should go into the animation pretty quickly. What are your install procedures?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

#9 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:58 AM

When you say you wiped three times, I'm not sure what that means?

I've helped others with CM11 on other forums, so I can't remember if I already asked you in another thread if you did the following in TWRP:

1. Navigate from main screen to Wipe->Advanced Wipe
2. Check Dalvik Cache, Data, Cache and System. NOTE: data will leave the internal SD card (/data/media) alone but will wipe everything else in the /data directory so back it up first!
3. Swipe to Wipe.
4. Then, go install CM11 zip and then gapps.
5. When it's done, then wipe cache and dalvik and then reboot.

If you've done all that, then something is FUBARed with your phone or you're not running on the correct stock KK image.

TWRP is version 2.7.1.0, correct? I believe you already stated this, but I want to confirm.

Also, you are getting the correct CM11 for KK kernel. In the filename, if it has M8 or something like that, then that's for JB kernels.

The reason I'm saying this is because since you are not even getting to the Cyanogenmod boot logo, then it seems you are not flashing correctly per instructions or you are using wrong images for TWRP and/or CM11 and don't have the correct stock kernel installed.

You might want to revert back to stock KK completely (again) and then install TWRP then root and then flash CM11 per my instructions above.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#10 racer580

racer580

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

When you say you wiped three times, I'm not sure what that means?

I read on one of these forums that you should wipe the Dalvik Cache, Data, Cache and System up to three times. I didn't really agree with it because I'm pretty sure that once you wipe those things, one time is enough and any other attempt to wipe them is useless. Maybe there's been occasions where the wipe didn't go through on the first time? I highly doubt that wiping two more times does anything beneficial after the first wipe was successful. Nonetheless, its easy to wipe three times so I figured why not. 

As far as your install steps go, I follow those exactly with just two extra wipes as reasoned above. 

TWRP is version 2.7.1.0, correct? I believe you already stated this, but I want to confirm.

Yes this is correct. When in recovery mode 2.7.1.0 is displayed at the top. 

... and/or CM11 and don't have the correct stock kernel installed

You might want to revert back to stock KK completely (again) and then install TWRP then root and then flash CM11 per my instructions above.

For the CM nightly, I grabbed that right from here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

It was the 0708 nightly, but they must have taken it down. For the gapps file, I got that from here:

and clicked on "It Vends" for CM 11

For the kernel, if I post the kernel version information listed under "About phone" would you be able to determine anything based on that?

I don't have a problem reverting back to stock KK so that may be the next step. 

Thanks

#11 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

For the CM nightly, I grabbed that right from here:

It was the 0708 nightly, but they must have taken it down. For the gapps file, I got that from here:

and clicked on "It Vends" for CM 11

Thanks

That's where I get my images from, so you're flashing the same images as I am.

You might want to go back to pure KK stock, install TWRP and then flash CM11 again. I'm currently running the 7/18 nightly and it seems pretty stable.

2cqd4t2.png

#12 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Yeah, I'd go with Bolski.  I would do a full restore to KK, to make sure the BL and kernel are correct for the new CM builds.

#13 xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

• Superuser
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Device(s):Moto X 2014 Pure Edition || Motorola DROID RAZR M || Archos G9 101 || Microsoft Surface Pro 2 || Chromecast

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

Yeah, I'd go with Bolski. I would do a full restore to KK, to make sure the BL and kernel are correct for the new CM builds.

If you don't feel like FXZing back, you can always use nobe's awesome flashback zip to get the new boot loader back.

#14 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

If you don't feel like FXZing back, you can always use nobe's awesome flashback zip to get the new boot loader back.

Good suggestion. However, I don't know if it's just the bootloader that's in question. He's done so much flashing of custom ROMs and none of them have worked, that I think going back to a clean slate, aka stock KK image, can at least rule out any other issue.

But, maybe he can try that first and if that doesn't work, then go back to stock KK and go from there maybe.

• RikRong and xKroniK13x like this

2cqd4t2.png

#15 xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

• Superuser
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

Good suggestion. However, I don't know if it's just the bootloader that's in question. He's done so much flashing of custom ROMs and none of them have worked, that I think going back to a clean slate, aka stock KK image, can at least rule out any other issue.

But, maybe he can try that first and if that doesn't work, then go back to stock KK and go from there maybe.

Good point... If stock KK isn't working, gotta look at other reasons!

Sent from my RAZR M (CM Nightlies) from Tapatalk Pro.

#16 EliC

EliC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Are you flashing KitKat Kernal ROMs or JB? You have a KK kernal, so be sure the ROMs you flash are for the right kernal (most are for JB). The NEW CM nightlies (after 7/1) should work. Get them from the CyanogenMod site. Eprinter is releasing newer nightlies for the JB kernal.

#17 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • Twitter:@nobe1976
  • LocationWhere I AM
  • Current Device(s):LG G2, ®∆z® |/|@xX Π¶, Motorola Bionic, Viewsonic GTablet

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

Being a fresh a new setup, just to let you know, it will take up to 15 mins for it to boot. The Rom needs to setup everything before the initial boot. I have had this issue not only with my HD xt926 but also my G2. Something to think about...
  • ibolski likes this

new_animated_sig.gif

#18 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

Being a fresh a new setup, just to let you know, it will take up to 15 mins for it to boot. The Rom needs to setup everything before the initial boot. I have had this issue not only with my HD xt926 but also my G2. Something to think about...

Yeah, that's a good point, but that's usually sitting at the CM boot logo. He's not even getting to that point. It's hanging at the Motorola logo and not even getting to the CM logo, so that seems to say something is corrupted or he's trying to flash on a JB kernel phone (hasn't upgraded to KK or he flashed back to JB and is attempting to flash ROMs that require KK kernels).

However, since he is using TWRP 2.7.1.0 (which is for KK kernels), I would assume he's on a KK kernel, but maybe something is hosed? That's why I suggest just wiping the phone completely clean (possibly including the internal SD card) and flash back to stock KK and go from there. It sucks, but it definitely sounds like something is borked that the CM11 ROMs don't like.

He is definitely trying to flash the KK-based CM11 ROMs as he provided a link to where he was getting them from which is exactly the same nightly images I'm running, so that tells me something is borked with his image on his phone.

That, or something is wrong with his phone's firmware somewhere. I just don't know so that's why I suggest going with a clean slate and flash back to stock KK and go from there.

2cqd4t2.png

#19 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • Twitter:@nobe1976
  • LocationWhere I AM
  • Current Device(s):LG G2, ®∆z® |/|@xX Π¶, Motorola Bionic, Viewsonic GTablet

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Then Clean Slate it is.... 😃

new_animated_sig.gif

#20 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Here's another thought...Where did you get your TWRP from?  What's the RootJunky link you used to install TWRP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users