79 replies to this topic

#1 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR HD, HTC Rezound

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Currently running the 17JUL2014 nightly release of CM11 for the RAZR HD and they corrected the popping issues with the sound and media over bluetooth is working for me as well with a quick test. Going to run it for a while and I'll post any issues I find if anyone is interested.

#2 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

I think WiFi range is worse then earlier builds. When using ART first thing was power button wouldn't lock the phone changed back to dalvick after that. Only issues so far.

#3 Guest_kinnelonfire75_*

Guest_kinnelonfire75_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Is GPS fixed? Popping was never a problem for me, but I had to go back to stock because I use navigation on a daily basis.

You are on the XT926, correct? 

#4 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

GPS with the 7/17 build was fine. It worked for me using CoPIlot GPS (didn't try Google maps).

I'm now on 7/18 and so far things seem good other than WiFi and 4G signal are definitely weaker than stock KK, which is weaker than JB. Hopefully, they'll get that fixed.

On earlier builds, pairing my Jawbone Icon headset would cause the phone to seize up when attempting to make calls. 7/18 seems to be working pretty well.

WiFi still seems to cut out and the reconnect, even when the WiFi signal is pretty strong.

I was able to pair with BlueTooth, as I stated, but I noticed that when it initially happened, my WiFi connection was lost and then it connected back to the WiFi. Both WiFi and Bluetooth then worked fine together. Not sure if it was just another WiFi drop out or if it was caused by BlueTooth.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#5 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Tried to make a phone call today and microphone wouldn't work unless I was on speaker phone

#6 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Dirty flashed the 18JUL2014 nightly and that fixed the microphone issue I had. Still bad battery performance for me. Wifi seems to have improved slightly even before the dirty flash. Just very finicky I guess.

#7 Guest_kinnelonfire75_*

Guest_kinnelonfire75_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Im on 7/20 build, using the xt926 w/ KK bootloader. Same issue with microphone that you mentioned. I cleanly flashed the 7/19 build and dirty flashed the 7/20 build and it didn't change. 

GPS is golden though. 

#8 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, they almost have this ROM sorted out, very smooth and so happy not to have popping noises, I wonder why moto put out such bad quality software lately...

#9 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

Yeah, they almost have this ROM sorted out, very smooth and so happy not to have popping noises, I wonder why moto put out such bad quality software lately...

The popping noise wasn't due to bad quality. Not all phones were affected, although with a poll I did on XDA, it seems to be 50/50 between those that had the noise and those that didn't.

Here's the commit in the source for CM that fixes the issues: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

The developer that fixed this issue told me this is very similar to capacitors. Every component has some tolerance, e.g. capacitors of the same nominal value don't have the exact same capacity. So the popping noise may be very subtle on some devices, while it can be rather prominent on other ones.

It appears with KK, Motorola changed something in the code that is in the link I posted previously. For some reason, in KK, it affects some phones, which could be phones from a different manufacturing batch. So it's not so much a "bug" as something else.

However, the other issues, such as Blue Tooth, etc, is definitely an issue. I do know with the OTA soak test for the original KK release, this was brought up in the private Moto Soak Test forums, so it's sad that went ahead and released it anyways.

With the new soak test and upcoming OTA, apparently it's fixed for some, but not all. Also, the weaker WiFi and 4G signal has been reported as well. Again, I'm sure they'll just release this OTA as is, but hopefully, they'll get to work on fixing these issues.

At least they didn't snub everyone after the first KK release. I thought for sure that the initial KK release was it, no matter what the issues were, but Motorola went right to work to apply the 4.4.4 security fixes, but I'm also sure they released this OTA to re-patch the unlock bootloader exploit once it was found that they put the exploit back in with the KK update. So, I'm not sure if anything will come after this soak test since they patched the Towelroot and bootloader exploit.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#10 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

The popping noise wasn't due to bad quality. Not all phones were affected, although with a poll I did on XDA, it seems to be 50/50 between those that had the noise and those that didn't.

Here's the commit in the source for CM that fixes the issues: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

The developer that fixed this issue told me this is very similar to capacitors. Every component has some tolerance, e.g. capacitors of the same nominal value don't have the exact same capacity. So the popping noise may be very subtle on some devices, while it can be rather prominent on other ones.

It appears with KK, Motorola changed something in the code that is in the link I posted previously. For some reason, in KK, it affects some phones, which could be phones from a different manufacturing batch. So it's not so much a "bug" as something else.

However, the other issues, such as Blue Tooth, etc, is definitely an issue. I do know with the OTA soak test for the original KK release, this was brought up in the private Moto Soak Test forums, so it's sad that went ahead and released it anyways.

With the new soak test and upcoming OTA, apparently it's fixed for some, but not all. Also, the weaker WiFi and 4G signal has been reported as well. Again, I'm sure they'll just release this OTA as is, but hopefully, they'll get to work on fixing these issues.

At least they didn't snub everyone after the first KK release. I thought for sure that the initial KK release was it, no matter what the issues were, but Motorola went right to work to apply the 4.4.4 security fixes, but I'm also sure they released this OTA to re-patch the unlock bootloader exploit once it was found that they put the exploit back in with the KK update. So, I'm not sure if anything will come after this soak test since they patched the Towelroot and bootloader exploit.

Thanks for so much information. I hope they sort some things out before they roll out the update to everyone. I hope google figures out the kernel killing my battery... at this rate it's going to reduce the life of my phones battery significantly. 

#11 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Running the 22Jul2014 nightly. Has been quite stable all day. WiFi is even par with stock kk, have been running art a few hours without issue

#12 Guest_kinnelonfire75_*

Guest_kinnelonfire75_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

I've noticed that if I use any of the Music apps and then try Google Voice Search, it says that voice search is temporarily unavailable. Same deal using the stock ROM though. 

#13 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

Haven't tried it, but I've disabled Google search in an effort to save battery

#14 Guest_kinnelonfire75_*

Guest_kinnelonfire75_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

I just went from stock rom to the 7/24 nightly and I am still having the phone issue. Made a call, microphone worked great. Switched to speaker in that call, that worked. Switched back to microphone off speaker and the other person can't hear me. Speaker continues to work but regular microphone doesn't at all.

#15 basixs

basixs

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

I can indeed confirm that there is a problem with the internal mic, it will work fine until the device is switched to speaker phone then the internal mic no longer works at all (not even sound recorder).  A reboot seems to fix the issue so it must be something with the audio routing (possibly the internal mic is never un-muted).  I only had (or maybe just noticed) this issue after doing the first OTA update, initial load was from completely wiped device.

I've noticed that if I use any of the Music apps and then try Google Voice Search, it says that voice search is temporarily unavailable. Same deal using the stock ROM though. 

I have never noticed this issue but when docked I cannot use the internal mic at all (both Stock and all ROMs).  I wonder if it's related...

I have never experienced the popping issue but I see a couple of people that say their GPS is working fine for them.  It's not for me, on either device; GPS signal is never locked.   Wiping and downloading A-GPS data does nothing, editing GPS.conf does nothing, ( even tried grabbing the GPS.conf file from Stock), reloaded ROM (both clean and dirty over Stock) and no difference.    It's truly maddening...  Does anyone have any advice?  No GPS is kind of a deal breaker for me.

#16 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

I can indeed confirm that there is a problem with the internal mic, it will work fine until the device is switched to speaker phone then the internal mic no longer works at all (not even sound recorder).  A reboot seems to fix the issue so it must be something with the audio routing (possibly the internal mic is never un-muted).  I only had (or maybe just noticed) this issue after doing the first OTA update, initial load was from completely wiped device.

I have never noticed this issue but when docked I cannot use the internal mic at all (both Stock and all ROMs).  I wonder if it's related...

I have never experienced the popping issue but I see a couple of people that say their GPS is working fine for them.  It's not for me, on either device; GPS signal is never locked.   Wiping and downloading A-GPS data does nothing, editing GPS.conf does nothing, ( even tried grabbing the GPS.conf file from Stock), reloaded ROM (both clean and dirty over Stock) and no difference.    It's truly maddening...  Does anyone have any advice?  No GPS is kind of a deal breaker for me.

Did you attempt to flash back to stock, activate and then obtain a GPS lock there first? Trying to flash back with the same ROM doesn't help.

You need to flash back to stock, obtain GPS lock then flash back to CM11.

2cqd4t2.png

#17 racer580

racer580

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:8
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD (xt926) unlocked

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

I just went from stock rom to the 7/24 nightly and I am still having the phone issue. Made a call, microphone worked great. Switched to speaker in that call, that worked. Switched back to microphone off speaker and the other person can't hear me. Speaker continues to work but regular microphone doesn't at all.

I seem to also have this issue, however its not always a result of turning speaker phone on and off. Sometimes its just random and the other person can't here me as soon as the call connects. Has anyone had any luck fixing this issue? Running the 7/29 nightly, but this has been an issue for me since the original cm11 flash of the 7/10ish nightly I believe.  

#18 basixs

basixs

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

Did you attempt to flash back to stock, activate and then obtain a GPS lock there first? Trying to flash back with the same ROM doesn't help.

You need to flash back to stock, obtain GPS lock then flash back to CM11.

Thanks ibolski!.  That is definitely the issue.  I have seen this tip but was following a guide that did not mention it.  I guess it's pretty important.

#19 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

Just to let everyone know why you must flash back to stock to fix GPS, kabaldan on XDA (who works on the CM sources but not for XT926 since he doesn't have one) explains why this is necessary:

There's a GPS engine lock (security feature) implemented by Moto.
When you enable GPS on stock firmware, GPS engine becomes unlocked and GPS requests can be answered by modem (via QMI interface). When you disable GPS on stock, the engine becomes locked and any GPS requests will be silently ignored.

GPS HAL libraries used in CM11 moto_msm8960 builds for kk bootloader are not able to unlock the engine.

If you've had GPS disabled on stock firmware before you flashed a custom ROM, the engine stays locked and GPS won't work for you.

• grnsl2 likes this

2cqd4t2.png

#20 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

Thanks. I've always used GPS on my phone and always leave it enabled so just happened not to run into this issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users