clippy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationuk
  • Current Device(s):motorola razr

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hi Everyone, I hope you can help someone with VERY limited knowledge of these things! Basically my 2 year old razr maxx has been rebooting at random times, usually when I'm trying to post to messenger, for a while now. Today I updated a ton of apps. I was trying to send a text and the thing rebooted, expect then it was stuck in  a boot loop. And still is. I have gone into recovery and cleared the cache. Nothing. I then did a factory data wipe and reset, nothing. The thing is, I don't know if my phone is rooted. My ex boyfriend was great with all this stuff, and may well have done something to it when I bought it 2 years ago. We are no longer together though, and now I am stuck!

Any advice would be greatfully received! 

I do have a cable to connect it to the computer, but the computer isn't picking anything up. I guess because the phone is not on? Oh, and my PC runs ubuntu, thatnks to the ex boyf, if that doesn't confuse me further!

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Sounds like you need a fresh start by flashing stock system files.  However, random rebooting can also be attributed to a hardware issue, but we'll not go there yet.  One thing before I send you links to stuff, you say your PC runs Ubuntu, is it exclusively Ubuntu or were you just commenting that you have the ability?

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Links to the stock firmwares (FXZ) for your XT925 can be found

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#4 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Links to the stock firmwares (FXZ) for your XT925 can be found

Isn't that HD firmware?? He has a OG Razr maxx I think

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#5 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Oh, well, then, I guess it shouldn't have been posted in the XT925 area huh?

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#6 clippy

clippy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Thanks guys for replying. I did warn that I knew nothing about phones! I don't even know for sure what my phone is. I can't find the box, and as it doesn't switch on I can't find out. I thought it was the razr maxx. Its definitely not the HD one. That came out after mine. So I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong place. I appreciate you guys are experts, so perhaps I've come to the wrong place for help. I really need step by tiny step instructions on how to possibly fix the problem. Does anyone know of another forum that might be better suited to morons like me?

#7 clippy

clippy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

It may actually be the droid razr. It's definitely not the HD one though. 

#8 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

No worries, just need to point you in the right direction . So, that said, your pc, is it purely ubuntu or ??

Sent from my S-Offed One M8

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#9 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Also, you are in the UK, so there is a dilemma unless you know. Is it a USA device? On the back of the phone at the bottom, they ink the model number. If it's not worn off it should say XT910 or XT912

Sent from my S-Offed One M8

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#10 clippy

clippy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:11 AM

Hi, thanks. I'm in the uk and it's a uk device. So nothing to do with Verizon like I've been reading on other sites. I just noticed the model number too! It had had a case on :-/ Thanks in advance for your patience! It is an XT910.

My computer runs purely on ubuntu 13.10. It has been trying to get me to upgrade to a newer ubuntu but i haven't yet. I do find navigating my way around ubuntu quite difficult because I have no computer knowledge. If it's easier to do this with a windows pc then I can use my friends, it has windows 8.

#11 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

OK, so now we have a model #, we can move forward :)

Your firmware for your device can be found on

page.  You will want the newest build for your device/location.   It can be rather daunting for the world devices as there are many carrier/location based choices.  I believe that this one is what you are looking for?:

- (This is linked directly to the download)

As for Ubuntu, your flashing options are limited since the factory tool is based for Windows -

is what you would need.  Read through the op in regards to Linux instructions.  Then read through the thread before starting anything.  Then read the OP again.  This will help if you run into something, because chances are, someone had the same issue and you will now know where to find the answer ;)

If you want a simpler method, use

on your friend's Windows PC.  This tool is much simpler and will get you going.

It can look a bit confusing, but really, the process is fairly simple.   Just follow the directions and double check before clicking and you should be ok.  The fact that you got into recovery and wiped data and cache is proof of your ability :)

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#12 clippy

clippy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

Hi Thanks! I think I'll use my friends pc then :) OK, so do I download that firmware to the pc, then follow the other guys instructions as well?

#13 clippy

clippy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:14 AM

Also what type of flash will i need?

#14 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

Well, when you run the RSD flasher you will have the option of Full or Keep Data.  Since you already did a factory data reset, there is no reason to try to keep data.  I would run the Full option just to be sure that there isn't some erroneous data causing issues.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#15 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:40 AM

I assume you mean FULL, KEEP DATA, or UNIVERSAL.  In your case since you already wiped it, FULL is fine.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#16 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:41 AM

Make sure to get the latest version of the RSD Flasher, too.  I spent the morning updating it.  It's currently at version 1.9.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#17 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:43 AM

Oh yeah, forgot about that gem

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#18 clippy

clippy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

Thanks guys, I'm going to attempt it later on my friends pc. So, just to clarify, I download the firmware on to the pc, then I download the moto usb driver, the rsdlite and rsdflasher, then follow samuriHL's instructions?

#19 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

You got it

• SamuriHL likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#20 clippy

clippy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Oh, one more thing before I start....do I keep the sim card and memory card in the phone, or take them out?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: razr maxx, boot loop, factory reset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users