156 replies to this topic

#1 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.se7ensins.com/forums/members/w-e-l-f-a-r-e.105411/

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

Today I called Motorola about an issue with an app called SIM Toolkit that will randomly appear and disappear in my app drawer. Many people have noticed this issue with the Droid RAZR, but that's beside the point.

Motorola has the ability to check if your phone is rooted. The rep I was talking to pulled up my information and said that my phone is showing "ROOT STATUS" Basically if you have a Motorola device, they know whether or not your phone has been rooted. He would not inform me of how they are able to determine if the phone is rooted, but he told me that they know if we have a customized operating system.

If you are planning on being able to send your device to get fixed in the future, or get any support from Motorola, I suggest you do not root your device. Simply unrooting your phone then sending it in to get fixed will not work. They will already know prior to that if your phone is rooted. Just thought I'd let you guys know that.

My conversation with a rep on chat about the SIM Toolkit application:
Spoiler

• The Kid likes this

#2 Tmc363

Tmc363

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Twitter:@tmc363
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

Knew it would happen sooner or later google already has the ability on their videos to determine root and refuse us the ability to watch them while rooted. Im sure if moto is now using this technology then vzw and other service providers will have access soon to see if one has been rooted at any point. This will eliminate the returns from people who brick their phones and cant fix them so they take them back to vzw. I am not a fan of steve jobs oops I mean moto monitoring my phone but what other choices are there it seems every manufacturer has something theyre monitoring. Thanks for the info I too have wondered what that sim toolkit is guess theyve caught me rooted many times.
  • leviwg likes this
Posted Image

Donate $10 or more to our Phones For Devs Giveaway and get a Custom Forum title and help the Make a wish Foundation details here: http://www.droidrzr....-custom-titles/

#3 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

Knew it would happen sooner or later google already has the ability on their videos to determine root and refuse us the ability to watch them while rooted. Im sure if moto is now using this technology then vzw and other service providers will have access soon to see if one has been rooted at any point. This will eliminate the returns from people who brick their phones and cant fix them so they take them back to vzw. I am not a fan of steve jobs oops I mean moto monitoring my phone but what other choices are there it seems every manufacturer has something theyre monitoring. Thanks for the info I too have wondered what that sim toolkit is guess theyve caught me rooted many times.

I tried my hardest for him to tell me how they could tell if we were rooted, but he said he didn't have any information about it. They're all like robots.

#4 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

Well, not surprising... He sure won't give you the information to find a workaround, would he?

RAZR ROCKS!

Nope. This guy pretty much knew nothing. Just read from the script.

#5 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Would freezing Sim Tool in TI prevent them from being able to montitor whether the phone's been rooted?

#6 pbaur

pbaur

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

As an add-on info: They DO know and take advantage of it, as you stated with respect to videos. The moment I started the first root enabled app, my apps in the market stopped showing. It's known from several different phones/roms, but it was informative to see the reaction in that very moment. I can reflash and get my apps again, but again as soon as root kicks in, they're gone again.

RAZR ROCKS!
  • The Kid likes this

#7 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Would freezing Sim Tool in TI prevent them from being able to montitor whether the phone's been rooted?

I am not sure if SIM Toolkit is the app responsible for determining root or not. From what I know the app is used by the service provider to carry out some functions that they desire.

#8 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'm sure it's a matter of time before someone figues out a way to work around this or block it altogether but still....

Ah well. I'm rooted and enjoying my Razr without Verizon's fingerprints all over my app drawer. No going back now.

Thanks for the heads up Mytchh!
  • leviwg likes this

#9 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

I'm sure it's a matter of time before someone figues out a way to work around this or block it altogether but still....

Ah well. I'm rooted and enjoying my Razr without Verizon's fingerprints all over my app drawer. No going back now.

Thanks for the heads up Mytchh!

He did offer me to send my phone in, so they could evaluate it and flash it though. I'm guessing if your phone gets bricked and they see you've been rooted then they probably won't fix it. Hopefully we can figure out how to root without letting Motorola knowing. It seems that they're cracking down a little.

#10 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

My phone's insured so I guess if it bricks the only option I have at this point is to report it stolen and get a new one. Quite the inconvenience and a pain in the a$$ but if this is the way they want to play it not much else that can be done.

#11 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

My phone's insured so I guess if it bricks the only option I have at this point is to report it stolen and get a new one. Quite the inconvenience and a pain in the a$$ but if this is the way they want to play it not much else that can be done.

All they do if it is bricked is reflash it, which we can do from our own computers. No reason to send in for bricks anymore really, but they may hold the fact that you rooted against you if you need a repair.

#12 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

Just revealed what a noob I am didn't I? LOL!!

But yeah. I guess if they'll deny the warranty that may be our only option.
  • mbb350z likes this

#13 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

Just revealed what a noob I am didn't I? LOL!!

But yeah. I guess if they'll deny the warranty that may be our only option.

Oh well. We all know rooting voids our warranty for sure now. We just need to figure out how to get around them detecting root.. hmm.

#14 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

I looked thruogh root explorer in system/apps i couldn't find SIM toolkit anywhere. I am on the 2.3.6 .173 leaked update.

#15 Tmc363

Tmc363

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Twitter:@tmc363
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

I'm frustrated just reading it I can only imagine your temper level

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Posted Image

Donate $10 or more to our Phones For Devs Giveaway and get a Custom Forum title and help the Make a wish Foundation details here: http://www.droidrzr....-custom-titles/

#16 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

Problem would be not only preventing them from detecting root but also wiping out any record they might have of how many times we've rooted.

#17 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Its a shame. The return policy has been so abused by many people that soon we will all be screwed. There will come a time that you have a genuine hardware problem, but because of root access you will be sol. It is a shame but in a sense the community has shot itself in the foot. We all know there are many people who don't know what they are doing, brick or fubar phone and in a panic send it in, instead of letting the community do its job. But ah well. Im sure there will be a work around to block their prying eyes soon enough.

sliced by my Razr on Tapatalk
  • leviwg likes this

Posted Image

#18 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

I looked thruogh root explorer in system/apps i couldn't find SIM toolkit anywhere. I am on the 2.3.6 .173 leaked update.

It's called SimManager.apk. I'm on 6.11.748.XT912.Verizon.US. Found it in system/app. In the Applications settings it shows that it's 0.00 B in size, but in Root Explorer it says 48.75 K...

EDIT: Also found stk.apk. 20.48 K in size. This seems to be the application that appears in our drawer.

#19 Droid2drummer

Droid2drummer

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Twitter:@imanotemaker
  • Google+:robertclarkga@gmail.com
  • LocationWarner Robins GA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hey guys. I have the same app disappearing and we have seen this topic a few times. Rooted or not. I'm not at the moment. This device never was and still does the same thing. However they have been able to detect root for some time. Even when I had my D2 they knew. They never said but they have known this way before the Razr. Just an fyi to the whole sim card app being a root detection app. Their knowledge is way beyond the apps installed in fact I believe when they look at the hex they can check and tell by typing it in and pinging or something to that effect.

#20 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hey guys. I have the same app disappearing and we have seen this topic a few times. Rooted or not. I'm not at the moment. This device never was and still does the same thing. However they have been able to detect root for some time. Even when I had my D2 they knew. They never said but they have known this way before the Razr. Just an fyi to the whole sim card app being a root detection app. Their knowledge is way beyond the apps installed in fact I believe when they look at the hex they can check and tell by typing it in and pinging or something to that effect.

I did have to provide my HEX number to the chat agent. I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users